Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Ford 390 dipstick install

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by panheadguy, Mar 28, 2017.

1. panheadguy

panheadguy
    from S.E. WI

Putting a new dip stick tube in a 390. In the 66 Fairlane. It's very hard to get the stick pushed in. I used a crows foot on an extension and tapped it in. How far does it go? The bead is up about 1/4" from seating in the block. Is there a shoulder at the bottom to stop the tube? There may well be a shoulder at the bottom because the bead wouldn't seat very well against the angled surface of the block. Anyone out the familiar with this?
    Thanks

2. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

I imagine your dipstick tube hole should look something like this one. They are stepped drilled to bottom the dipstick tube out in the hole. you can barely see the shoulder in the picture below.

[​IMG]

3. panheadguy

panheadguy
    from S.E. WI

Thank you very much. I couldn't see if there was a shoulder or not. You da man.

4. I make sure the old piece is not in the block, clean everything really well. I'll file more lead on the new tube so it goes in easier.