Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ford 390 and FMX question..

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hooligan63, Nov 14, 2009.

1. Hooligan63

Hooligan63

Okay,I'm not experienced with the 390/FMX combo,but I was wondering,does it use a kick down rod that connects from the carb to the side of the trans to control shifts at certain RPM's and downshift like the 390/C6 combo on later Fords utilize?

2. carzwy

carzwy

just a cast iron c6

3. Hooligan63

Hooligan63

I know GM's used them too,,that's why I was asking,because I know a few transmissions used them,but you're saying the FMX doesn't use that TV Rod? If that's what you're saying and you're 100% positive,then sweet,I won't have to go searching for one!

Also,anyone have one of those puke tanks laying around that they used on FE motors? The one that goes between the thermo housing and the radiator?

4. jetmek

jetmek

beg to differ here...fmx is basically an improved cruisomatic not a c6 and it does have a kickdown rod off the gas pedal

5. Alienbaby17

Alienbaby17

Mine has one.
    I have a '55 F100 with a 390 (out of a '63-64 Ford) with that transmission and I believe mine has that. I know I had to buy a special adapter to hook my Edlebrock carb. It's in storage or I would check for sure, but I'm 95% sure.

Jay

6. Hooligan63

Hooligan63

Then that means I might have to hunt for one...Uuuugh.

7. Hooligan63

Hooligan63

See,that's what I need,I need to see a picture of the set up.

8. Tony Ray

Tony Ray

are you sure its an fmx and not a cruise o matic? I know my 64 tbird with the 390 came with the COM trans, then in 65 they went to a c-6. I always thought(and I am no expert, just what I was lead to beleive) that big blocks used the COM, then the c-6 trans, and small block used the c4 or fmx depending on thier application..and fmx was used between 68-80 or 81, not trying to be an ass, but curious now to find out what was really right application..might have to go yell at a few people for steering me wrong..:cool:

9. Hooligan63

Hooligan63

This is a swap that is in a car that I'm buying tomorrow

10. Alienbaby17

Alienbaby17

In my experience a lot of people tend to confuse/interchange the two transmission names (FMX and Cruise-O-Matic). A lot of people mistakingly call the older transmission an FMX when technically it is not.
    The one I'm talking about has the dipstick tube running into the pan which I believe technically makes ita Cruise-O-Matic.

I'll look for a picture for you.

Jay

11. Hooligan63

Hooligan63

12. Alienbaby17

Alienbaby17

Sorry. No luck with the photos.
    It's really pretty straight-forward. I'm wondering if one off of a later or even different Ford transmission might be about the same thing.

Jay

13. WILLYSDOCTOR

WILLYSDOCTOR

Here is my 1968 390 FE with a FMX . It does have a factory Kickdown Rod. In my pictures it is the "Gold" colored rod . I have an edelbrock carb, but it does connect to the factory carb and FMX Kickdown Arm on trans. The last picture is of the FMX Dipstick tube where it goes into the Side of the cast-iron case above the pan.
    Note : If you find a rod on a donar car .... Get the Small nylon bushings on both ends or rod will be very sloppy when installed. Good luck with the bushings ..... I had to search high and low back in 1993 when I installed this combo.

Attached Files:

14. Hooligan63

Hooligan63

Thanks,I'll be able to tell what I'm dealing with and looking for later today

15. newfalconowner

newfalconowner
    from NS Canada

doesnt the FMX have a removeable bellhousing and the C6 doesnt? I have a spare c6 kickdown off a 71 truck if you want me to take pix

16. Hooligan63

Hooligan63

Take a pic,but the previous owner and his dad swear up and down that it's an FMX. Actually,the car was for sale on here a few months ago.
    The guy who sold it to me,his screen name is DAVEYVONVOLPE. He's also on the Jockey Journal.

17. Hooligan63

Hooligan63

I can get bushings,no problem.If I can't,I can make them.

18. ryno

ryno

the pics posted look very similar to a 60's cadillac. you could probably adapt one to fit if needed.

19. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

The FMX looks very close to a COM and the FMX was made up untill the late 70s.

20. Hooligan63

Hooligan63

I'll have pics of my motor and trans next weekend,then we can go from there.

21. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

When I was running the 390/FMX in my Galaxie, I switched it over to cable operated throttle and kickdown. Both cables kits were from Lokar. They were easy to install and well worth the money. Bought them on Ebay. Also, any 'slop' that is experienced with some of the older kickdown and throttle rods is elminated. It was easy to adjust the kickdown, too.

Malcolm

22. stacks1938

stacks1938

The trans behind my 352 FE engine is a cruise-o-matic I believe. My kickdown is operated by a rod hooked to the throttle linkage at the rear of the engine. The throttle is also operated by a rod, not a cable.

23. Hooligan63

Hooligan63

Nick,I want to hug you right now,that might just be the way I have to go. Do you know the Lokar part #'s? Also,what combor are you running now?

Last edited: Nov 15, 2009
  24. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

25. Hooligan63

Hooligan63

26. DIRTYBIRD

DIRTYBIRD

I have t two 65 t-birds with FE 390's and both came factory with FMX trans. Does have a kickdown rod. I grenaded my FMX and swithced to a C6 out of a later truck with and FE. Bolted right up with no mods. Most Noticeable difference between FMX and C6 is FMX has a removeable aluminum bellhousing. C6 is a one piece case. My bud has a 62 Galaxie and 59 Galaxie both with FE's and factory COM's not FMX's.

27. Tony Ray

Tony Ray

Thanks for the info!.. I was actually thinking about gettign a c-6 from a truck to put behind the 390 for my shoebox..thats good to know!

28. Hooligan63

Hooligan63

So I can use the truck C6?Is there any difference between a truck C6 and a car C6?

29. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

With the help of a friend, I swapped in a roller cam 302/T-5 and also changed to 3.70 rear gears. What a blast to drive! (added Edelbrock Performer RPM intake and carb., Trickflow Stage 1 cam, and headers, aslo).

Actually just sold the car, though. On to the next project(s).

30. DIRTYBIRD

DIRTYBIRD

Yeah the tail lenghts are different.....It wasn't a problem with me since I also adapted the two piece driveshaft from the truck. My one piece would hit the floor(lowered suspension) and I snapped it once when i punched it. I don't feel comfortable enough to mess with the tunnel on a unibody car of that weight, so
    The two piece was something I had in mind already because I plan to put hydraulics in the rear so the car sits all the way down. Had my drive line guy shorten the truck shaft, balance and new joints. never got around to re-setting the pinion angle so it has the tinyest driveline vibration between 15 and 20 mph.