Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ford 352 or 360 Bellhousing question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by VonWegener, Feb 14, 2011.

  1. VonWegener
    Joined: Nov 19, 2009
    Posts: 786


    A friend's friend took a recently rebuilt FE type motor out of his late sixties Ford pickup because he decided to change over to a roller 302/AOD out of a Mustang. He said the FE is either a 352 or a 360. I got it with manual trans and all accessories for $250. This means a new lease on life for my old Unibody Bigwindow.
    Question will the C6 I have in my truck now bolt to the "new for me" FE?
    And will the flexplate from the 351w bolt to the FE?
    How do I find out whether it is a 352 or 360?
    The C6 was behind an early seventies 351 Windsor.
    Thank You in advance!
    Here is the Heart transplant recipient:

  2. pchop51
    Joined: Apr 28, 2008
    Posts: 50

    from minnesota

    If I remember right fe and the 429/460 big block ford share the same bell housing bolt pattern or maybe it was the 351\400m that share with big block ford but not the sbf 289 302 351. They have the same bell housing pattern but flex plates are different.
  3. hotrodstude
    Joined: Jul 30, 2010
    Posts: 70


    fe use a different bell housing than 429/460.the bell housings for a truck are different than in a car. 351 parts are not interchangeable with any fe. the 351/400m use same b/h as 429/460.only flywheels for fe and 429/460 interchange.hope that helps you
  4. REM/Mo
    Joined: Feb 24, 2008
    Posts: 281

    from Missouri

    The FE has it's own bell housing bolt pattern but there were a lot of pickups built with 360's and c6's so it should not be too hard to find a trans to fit it.
    The only way to tell a 352 and 360 apart is to measure the bore.

  5. 53 effie
    Joined: Oct 21, 2004
    Posts: 237

    53 effie

    No, the FE takes a different C6. The FE is by itself as far as a bellhousing pattern. The 429/460 do share their bellhousing pattern with the 400.

    A 360 is basically a .050 oversize 352. Same crankshaft and rods with larger and lower compression pistons. The only way to tell the difference for sure would be to take a head off as the stroke is the same. You may be able to tell by the casting numbers on the heads but that isn't positive on a motor from the late 60s. I believe the 352 was last used in pickups in 1967 and the 360 from there on. 360s had only 2v carbs factory as far as I know where the 352 came with a 4v version as well.

    to convert to a FE you will totally different motor mount stuff, too. And a different driveshaft.
  6. VonWegener
    Joined: Nov 19, 2009
    Posts: 786


    OK thank you for the help! Looks like I need to get a Truck automatic. That way it will definitively fit.
    Last question: Does an aluminum intake for a 390 fit this motor?
  7. VonWegener
    Joined: Nov 19, 2009
    Posts: 786


    The motor mounts for the 351w/c6 were done by a previous owner and are questionable at best.
    I was not aware of needing a new driveshaft as I have a c6 in there now. Do you mean the truck c6 has a different tailshaft?
  8. willowbilly3
    Joined: Jun 18, 2004
    Posts: 4,356

    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

    The 390 intake will fit.
  9. junkyardjeff
    Joined: Jul 23, 2005
    Posts: 8,130


    If you find a 73 and up truck or 67 and up car FE C-6 trans you might not have to change the driveshaft,stay away from the 67 to 72 truck C-6s as they have a very short tail shaft and are not set up for a slip yoke.

Share This Page

Register now to get rid of these ads!


Copyright © 1995-2021 The Jalopy Journal: Steal our stuff, we'll kick your teeth in. Terms of Service. Privacy Policy.

Atomic Industry
Forum software by XenForo™ ©2010-2014 XenForo Ltd.