Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Ford 35 Window Coupe Build, The East Coaster

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Kickstarter, Feb 23, 2015.

1. Kickstarter

Kickstarter
    from NC

Big plans and not much time to pull it off. I finally found a 35 Ford Five Window Coupe I liked. Five days, one bad snow storm and over 2300 miles of driving, it is now in the shop ready to be built. I'm going for a mid fifties style build, 283 small block, all black a little chrome everything she needs to get me home. Plans are to drive it to New Jersey in October for the TROG. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1424746890.189308.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1424746995.130603.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1424747034.796672.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1424747097.607317.jpg

The main things I need right now are fenders a grill and a hood, and lots of small parts. I've been stashing away parts for this car, so I've got a start.

2. Kickstarter

Kickstarter
    from NC

I got a little time to work in the shop today, and I got the mechanical drum rear end out, and a juice rear end under it. All four wheels were locked up and I need to get it rolling to move it around. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1424747359.187699.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1424747396.649301.jpg

Stogy likes this.
  3. Kickstarter

Kickstarter
    from NC

Couple more parts I've been saving. I got the intake at Englishtown back in the late seventies and been waiting for the right car to put it on, this may be it. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1424747744.946294.jpg

4. Stormtron

Stormtron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It looks like some great bones to build a project with. Good luck with the build and I am sure that a bunch of us will be watching. Also, great photos. Very professional looking.

5. Kickstarter

Kickstarter
    from NC

Thanks 63fairlane! Its a pretty good body. I'm busy at work till the weekend and going stir crazy. At least I get to work on bikes all day at my job.

6. bgaro

bgaro

oh neat!! i'll be watching"

7. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Killer!!! I have the same speed equipment in my '35!!!

8. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

talked to pops. he's pulling the parts we talked about to get you pics. he's got everything but a grille. he's not willing to let that go.

9. Kickstarter

Kickstarter
    from NC

Jeffery, Are you running this intake? How's it perform?

10. mamllc

mamllc

Cool pictures! Good luck on your deadline, like summers don't go by fast enough without them....

11. SicSpeed

SicSpeed
    from Idaho

Very Cool. I dig the shit of of your car. Down the road I'd love to have a 35 or 36 coupe. At the Turlock swap meet my buddy had to drag me off, a guy had two perfect 36 hoods, sides and trim, one was $250 the other was $300 plus he had a cherry grille . I wanted to buy those parts for motivation.
    Have Fun with that build

12. Uptown83

Uptown83

Cool project! I really enjoyed my 35(building it). I kind of want another one now.

13. The37Kid

The37Kid

Nice project, GREAT photos, look forward to following this build. Something special about old cars covered with snow. Bob

14. brady1929

brady1929

Should be a cool hot rod

15. Muttley

Muttley

This should be good. That barn is cool as hell, was there anything else noteworthy in it?

16. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I am using the same WC4D intake. I really like it and I have heard from other's it the best Chevy intake to run. My engine is a '56 265 bumped out to 283". Currently I have '57 heads and a 097 Duntov Solid lifter cam. I run progressive linkage with 97's but most run straight.

I might be changing some of it for more power but for a street car it runs great!!! I love winding the piss out of that little small block.

17. Southfork

Southfork

Does the 265 have the identical dimensions, of the 283 and later 1st generation SBCs? I am considering picking up a Craigslist 265 SBC for a 36 Ford project. I already have some 283s to pick from, but would prefer the earliest sbc over the later ones, to keep it as traditional as possible.

18. Kickstarter

Kickstarter
    from NC

Southfork, Some of the early 283's were 265 blocks punched out to 283. I'm not sure when the change was made, but they cast new blocks for the 283 at some point.

19. Kickstarter

Kickstarter
    from NC

I was sworn to secrecy on the contents of the barn! I wish I had that barn for a shop!

20. dudley32

dudley32

nice start on a cool ride...I'll be watching this...

21. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

In 57 those blocks were made into 283. They were painted yellow instead of Red which 55-56's were. The new 287 blocks in later 57 were orange I believe.

The early blocks have only front engine mounts. That would be the only physical difference you'd need to know.

22. Kickstarter

Kickstarter
    from NC

October is going to be here way to fast I have a feeling.

Thanks SicSpeed, Thats how this one got started, a hood, then a few more parts, etc. lol

23. Looks like a fun project, enjoy. Now for some heads up if you don't already know/realize.
    That replacement rear end looks to be a '42-8. They're wider than the original, so plan your wheel/tire choices accordingly.

24. Roger53

Roger53

Nice did you go out west to get it? one sexist cars ever put on the road.Keep the pic's a coming. Roger

25. lewk

lewk
    from Mt

Very cool project. More pictures are ALWAYS appreciated!

26. Kickstarter

Kickstarter
    from NC

Good to know, Thanks!

Long story on that intake that I'll try to keep short. I had gone down to the track at Englishtown one Sunday and one of the first things I saw was that intake for sale. After a little talking we settled on a price and I carried it all the way out to my car in the parking lot. Dug around for my keys only to find I had locked them in the car. After a brief moment of being pissed, I remembered I had the intake so it couldn't be that bad. I carried it back to the track, found a phone and dug out a dime. One call later and my buddy said he would pick up my spare keys and head down, though he said it might be awhile. I walked around for a couple hours carrying it till it seemed to be getting really heavy, so I headed over for a burger and soda. When I set the intake down to pay, my arms were shaking pretty bad so they jammed the drink and burger in between the carbs for me. Walked to the bleachers, set everything down and had to put the cup down were you sit and get my head down as low as the cup and slowly tip it without picking it up to be able to get a drink. I'm sure everyone walking by was wondering what was going on, but I was determined to drink that soda.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2015
  27. Kickstarter

Kickstarter
    from NC

I think your right! I've got a 40 rear end but the brakes are locked up on it right now.

Thanks, Had to go out North West to get it.

Thanks, I'll try to remember to keep taking pics.

lewk likes this.
  28. YJ4000

YJ4000

Looking forward to see how it turns out. Oh and very nice pictures of the trip home.

Ryan.

29. KustomCandy

KustomCandy
    from Australia

Always found American Architecture of interest for some reason. Has a real sense of beauty to it. Oddly its not really some thing I'm into at all either.
    Not to mention many of you guys seem to understand good composition in Photography.

The Rod (and photography) is. Hence, subscribed. :)

Dan

30. Kickstarter

Kickstarter
    from NC

Made it to the shop for a little bit today. Took the 35 to the car wash one more time after hauling it through the snow storm on the way home. Cleared out a spot and got it off the trailer, the front wheels are still frozen. Hope to get the front end swapped out and the right rear end under it this coming week, then start test fitting the trans and engine after that. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1425258351.298142.jpg