Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ford 347 Stroker in a Galaxie?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Blades, Feb 21, 2013.

1. Blades

Blades
    from Chicago

My 64 Galaxie has a 289 in it with low compression. Options are rebuild or replace.

Found a 347 with a 5 speed for 2400 bucks.

Dont know what to do?

Heres some details:

FORD 302 BORED .30 STROKED TO 347 TRICK FLOW TOPEND KIT (TWESTED WEDGE HEADS) 2.02 ON THE INTAKE, TRACK HEAT INTAKE, TFS CAM 498 LIFT, PROBE SHORTSKIRT PISTONS, H-BEAM, RODS CAST CRANK CUZ ITS STOCK BLOCK, 1200 MILES ON THE MOTOR, NEVER SEEN THE TRACK RACED IT ONCE ON THE STREET AFTER BREAK IN RUNS GREAT, NEED VALVE COVERS, AND THE ROCKERS NEED TO BE ADJUSTED, WAS GONNA SWAP CAMS AND SUPER CHARGE IT. THE CAR HAS BEEN SOLD THE ONLY THING LEFT IS THE MOTOR AND TRANS 5-SPEED THATS WAS REBUILT AND NEVER BEEN TURNED!!!... TO MANY TOYS NEED IT TO GO 2,200 WITH OUT TRANS 2,400 WITH 5 SPEED

2. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

For the price, you can beat that deal. However, if it were me with a car that big, I'd go big block. I had a '65 Biscayne that came with a 283 and 3 speed. I replaced it with a 500 hp 454 and Richmond 6 speed.

3. I'm a real 347 fan. I would want to inspect that engine completely before buying it. if this includes the bellhousing, clutch and flywheel, that's a good price if the parts are all good.

4. carlos

carlos
    from ohio

Friend has one in a Fairmount race car scary fast:D

5. shinysideup

shinysideup
    BANNED
    from ruskin, fl

Sounds too cheap for parts listed,buyer beware.

6. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

Sounds decent. Keep in in mind the cam profile is for a stick...you didnt say what was in the Galaxie.... 347's arent bad, I would rather just go to a 351 and stroke it to 408. but... grab it if thats the way you wanna go.

7. EXracer64

EXracer64
    from nj

347... with stock heads? Would be a turd.

8. Blades, I have built many of these and still do. My avatar is a very high end all Forged, and studded one for a Supercharged Cobra replica.

It sounds fishy and heres why. I question anyone who lamely tells of a newer built engine and it needs the rockers adjusted. So why don't you adjust them, you know what I mean. Besides it's a hydraulic roller cam more than likely. So it sounds like he's making an excuse for a noisy valve train, and in reality there is a issue that needs some serious attention as that engine should be no more noisy than any stock Mustand 5.0.

He is pretty much on the money about a cast stroker crank, because the blocks main webbing will usually go before even a cast crank will break. Ask if it has a " main girdle and studs ". It should have these already.

The Track heat intake is for Fuel Injection, so unless you are running a fuelie, that isn't much good for you.

Bottom line if you can't hear it run and drive the engine, come with cash and low ball him is my advice and only after seeing invoices for the parts mentioned. The heads will be clearly marked and they are worth around a grand alone, provided they look nice inside and out.

Raced it on the street or track, what's the difference? I'd much rather had a engine by someone who raced at the track than the street, as he probably was more mature and had a better head on his shoulders, TR

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013
  9. 57Custom300

57Custom300
    from Arizona

If it cks out OK you could always buy it and flip it. Then you could put the money towards a FE like that car should have. My 0.02

10. x2...

11. EXracer64

EXracer64
    from nj

Why? Because i cant read a damn post right??? Screw you!

Anyway, $2400 with all those parts and trans is a smokin deal. Like said above, flip it if you dont use it.

12. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

First off, the price is really good, I have about 2.5 times that in the 331 stroker in my 27. BUT, something made my ears perk up. If he only ran it 1200 miles why did it need to be rebuilt again ? A quality build shouldn't have to be rebuilt after only 1200 miles. Most of the guys who build a 347 stroker beat on them pretty hard.

Secondly, why did he not put it back in the car he sold from under it ? Some things are just not adding up. There could be a reasonable explanation but I would be a little wary.

As for the aspect of putting it into your car, a properly built 347 will run really well and give you lots of HP.

Don

13. Blades

Blades
    from Chicago

Tons of good advice given, thanks. It also sounded weird to me... Just needed confirmation. Im going fo back away from this one and just rebuild my 289 and find me a decent c4 to replace my tired early c4. I shoulda just looked here for it on The Hamb instead of CL. HAMBers have always been good to me for bought parts. Thnks guys

14. Where does it say it was rebuilt after 1200 miles?? :confused::confused:

15. rustang

rustang

An old saying...."only 1200 miles... a quarter of a mile at a time"......

If the motor is good it is a great deal, almost too good to be true.... which usually means.......
    Tom

16. dorksrock

dorksrock

Save your money and find a FE engine. You will be much more happy, and they look way cooler then a small block ford in my opinion. Even my '63 galaxie with its hot 352 fe in it scoots with all the torque down low...

17. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Yeah, I kinda misread that. The part about being rebuilt and never turned was regarding the transmission, not the motor.

Don

18. A 63 Galaxie 352 made 220 HP and 336 Ft Lbs (at 2400). Any decent 347 is going 350-400 HP with those heads and around 400 ft lbs of torque. It would leave your 352 in the dust. :D

I like FE motors, I have a 416" one in my F150, but in this case I'd take the 347 any day.

19. mammyjammer

mammyjammer
    from Area 51

I'm a FE guy too, but considering the Galaxie already has a 289...a cheap 347 don't sound like a bad way to go!!!

20. Kustom Komet

Kustom Komet

Stroker small block Fords are fun and fast, but not so much in a heavy full size car, think Falcon/Mustang. The most important thing to remember is that there are many wrong ways to build them, any of which can cause expensive failures. I don't trust craigslist strokers. A nice 351W would do the job in that car.

-KK

21. bigvinny

bigvinny

price is good if its what it says it is, my 347 runs hi 10s in my fox mustang. 331 stroker is a much better option for street because of less severe rod angle and oil rings dont itersect rod pin holes
    (Ive read oil compumpsion is not uncoman after some miles), also depending on cam this moter might make more torque on top end. but I have made many purchaces for budget reasons and think if its a sound moter it will be a great in your car. ask to do compresion test. and if flat tappet lifter car make sure he had a succsesful cam break in. GOOD LUCK

22. rustang

rustang

I would just look around some more... a couple of weeks ago I bought a 351W roller motor with gt-40 heads out of a Correct craft ski boat... low hours got the long block for 350 bucks..... will make a good start for a project.......buying a used performance motor, esp. off craigs is risky...
    Tom

23. Blades

Blades
    from Chicago

Decided I wanted that factory motor in my car. The car is unmolested, everything is original. Windy city engineering said they would rebuild it for $1650 with a four day turn around. Thats cheaper than when I rebuilt the 200 for my old Fairlane and I froze my butt off in the garage for that. I got to rebuild that c4 also, but I think if I found a good one that I would just go that route. I live a block from Chicago Transmission, but i got no dough and the wife has allowed me to use a credit card for the engine. I just want my car running because its my daily. Heres a run down of what Windy City will do for my motor, plus its warrentied.

Procedure:

STEP 1
    Our engines are completely dissassembled all galley plugs and casting plugs are removed the blocks are then thermal cleaned or chemically cleaned. We visually inspect the blocks for casting defects then magnaflux or pressure test(checked for cracks).

STEP 2
    The cylinders are rebored and power honed oversized to factory specs, deck surfaces are checked for straightness and pitting and are milled as needed. All bolt holes are retapped and cleaned. Main bearing bores are checked for proper size and align-honed as needed.

STEP 3
    The block is then rewashed and new cam bearings, galley plugs and casting plugs are installed.

STEP 4
    The old pistons are removed from the connecting rods. The rods are then cleaned, magnafluxed, checked for straightness and resized to factory specs. New pistons are installed on the reconditioned rods.

STEP 5
    The crankshafts are reground, polished, checked for straightness and proper finish before being reinstalled in the engine.

STEP 6
    Our engines and componets are re-washed and ready to be assembled with our remanufactured cylinder heads (see head procedure)and new: pistons, piston rings, main bearings, rod bearings, camshaft bearings, timming chain and gear sets, oil pumps, camshaft and lifters, complete gasket kits

STEP 7
    Our ASE certified engine tech will re-check all parts for cleanliness, proper sizes and clearence. All nuts and bolts will be torqued to the proper specs. The engine is then checked for compression and oil primed.

FINAL STEP
    Our engine tech then will brief the owner and installer on installation and break-in procedure which are in writing and comes with our written warranty papers

24. GTOMUSTANG

GTOMUSTANG
    from ct

1)If you want to stroke out the 289, it will need more clearancing than a 302 block. save the rods, tho, they're longer than a 302, so if someone wants to do a Boss302 replica,they'll look for your rods.

2) Early 347 strokers stuck the wrist pin right up in the lowest ring land, which caused their early rep for oil burning. Once people stopped cutting up 351C cranks and went to Chinese cast cranks, believe it or not, the cast cranks were a better metal than what you think of a cast crank. Still, you're attaching it to some thin main webs--that's some flex ability if you wanted to wind this thing up often.

3)why do the rockers need adjustment? I'm guessing the expansion of the aluminum heads has to do with it, assuming the builder is used to cast iron heads.

4) the trans is only worth $200 to the seller? probably not a World Class t5?

25. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

He said it had Twisted Wedge heads.....

26. JasonK

JasonK

I took my stock 289 and built a 347 for my mustang project. It's a screamer, will smoke the (single) tire at 50mph.

27. Blades

Blades
    from Chicago

You turned a 289 into a 347? Me too me too, I want to!

28. JEM

JEM

Personally...if I were looking to build a painless Galaxie motor...I'd just do a 351W. Budget permitting, a 392 or 408, but any 351W-based motor in preference to the small Windsor. You've got the room.

347s are for the early Mustangs and Falcons who don't have room for anything bigger without cutting up the car and the Fox guys who want to look stock - and even then, as has been noted, a 331 is likely to live longer anyway. But for a Galaxie an inch of width and an inch of height is a painless tradeoff.

FE looks right in the car, works well, up to you what you want to spend money on. 460 needs a shoehorn for the early cars, drawing up parts for 4R70W crossmember for mine in a '64 right now...

Last edited: Mar 8, 2013
  29. nailhead terry

nailhead terry

Heres my 2 cents I have a 347 and a TKO 500 out of a mustang that ran 11:30s on motor my car is a thousand pounds lighter its fun but just like a big block chevy it likes oil that piston pin is to high ,I have a 393 stroked 351w now being built to replace it. My cummins the only smoke I like !Sell It go fe

30. Scumdog

Scumdog

Ask around and see who has had a good experience with Windy City, just for peace of mind.

You're onto the right track with keeping the original motor, you will find a lot less hassle than fitting another type of motor.