Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Ford 33/34 5W Coupe Garnish Moulds? Repop?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by panhead_pete, Sep 6, 2020.

1. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looking at the prices of 33/34 coupe garnish moulds :( (looking at buying a body without them) is anyone repopping them or know if other granish moulds fit. Would like to understand options before buying.
    Thanks
    Pete

2. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think there are still some of the aluminum reproductions available, but I can't speak to their quality.

If your car is chopped, you can use moldings from other cars that have the same general contour and chop them to fit. I used a spare pair of 39 Ford quarter window and some kind of early Chevvie for the rear window on the first '34 I built. On the door moldings, you might have to bite the bullet and spend the money.

Don't let that keep you from buying the car!!

-Abone.

panhead_pete likes this.
  3. Squablow

Squablow

4 door sedan garnish moldings can be made to fit 5W coupe without an extreme amount of fabricating. The front door pieces come very close to fitting, just a bit tall on the rear post, and the quarter window pieces need to be cut down but you'll have all the material you'll need to make it happen.

Not that 33/34 Ford 4 door garnishes are exactly commonplace, but if you can find some, they can be made to work.

panhead_pete likes this.
  4. How many cars are you building? :eek:

5. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great question. Whilst doing my daily search for a decent A coupe body this morning, I stumbled across an ad for a 34 body that seems reasonably priced but having seen garnish sets at around $3K need to know if there are alternatives as if I need to pay that the reasonableness of the price dissipates somewhat :)

6. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cheers, great info!

7. Binkman

Binkman

Look up Ivorsen Originals. They make metal 33/34 garnishes at far less than the ones you see on the web. 2,000 for 34 5-W quarter garnishes ? Get real.
    Tulipmania strikes again.

panhead_pete likes this.
  8. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

9. alchemy

alchemy

Hurry and buy those Iversen's now! They are on sale through April 15th of 2006.

With a website that far out of date, I'd make a phone call before I put my eggs in that basket.

I have personally used later 30's Ford moldings to chop up for 34 5-window quarter moldings. Nobody could tell the difference from stock. If you aren't too particular I'd think they could be used to recreate door and rear window moldings too.

10. You might want to check the price of the Iversen reproductions from 14 years ago. They certainly wouldn’t have become less expensive since then.

941D3119-2915-495C-9D9D-7FA1D96C2C1D.jpeg

11. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

5594528B-C8FE-4530-BA3D-ED8F0EE868BE.jpeg Price of a 33/34 Coupe body would be commensurate with/without garnish moldings. Garnish, grille's as well as other 34 parts (and cars) have always been expensive. It's the cost of admission. Not sure if Iverson still offers steel. Feb '19 he had a booth at Big 3 swap with extruded aluminum garnish sets that looked magnificent. Super decent guy-give him a call.

SAR offered steel 3/w garnish in the past (may have been sourced from Iverson?).

As mentioned, 4dr can be reworked for 5/w. Tudor can be converted to 3/w (using 2 dr. door and turned around quarter garnish). On a chopped car you're chopping them up anyway.

I've seen cast aluminum garnish on ebay.

There's always fiberglass too.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2020
  12. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Garnish moldings? Pffhhh... adds weight and slows you down.

Sent from my SM-G965U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

13. wackdaddy

wackdaddy

I ran into these last week in a local hot rod shop hanging on the wall. I took a pic because my buddy's 34 was missing one & I thought he might be interested. They were hanging on the wall about 10 ft off the ground and the only detail I could see was the price ... which looked pretty damn cheap. He went and got a ladder and brought them down. Turned out to be glass

IMG_3408.JPG

14. There are some on the HAMB classified now, rear and rear quarters.