Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Ford 302 distributer to carb vacume line help needed

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wisdonm, Aug 12, 2015.

1. wisdonm

wisdonm

I have a '68 Ford J code 4-bbl 302 without the factory carb. I am trying to install a Holley Street Avenger 670 carb. There is a vacuum hose, from the top port of the distributor vacuum control that goes to the carb, (the yellow hose). Should this hose go to the full vacuum port or the timed vacuum port on the Holley? TIA.

2. So does your vacuum advance have more than one hose connection? If it does, that should be swapped for one with just one connection, preferably off an earlier application.

A single connection wants a full-vacuum source (not timed or ported), I personally prefer connection to the intake, not the carb.

3. wisdonm

wisdonm

The distributor has both front and rear vacum pots.

4. The two port Ford vacuum advance was intended for emission control. The inner port was venturi vacuum (above throttle plate) and the outer port, like most vacuum advance units was hooked to manifold vacuum. Just hook up the outer fitting to manifold vacuum(below the carb throttle plates) and it should function properly (do not plug the other port though.

5. That's an 'emissions' advance. Half offers 'normal' advance, the other half retards the timing under certain conditions. Definitely not a performance piece. Get a single diaphragm unit off a '65-67 4V 289 application, it will be a bolt-on....