Register now to get rid of these ads!

FORD 300 intake suggestions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by zevansfordinliner, Feb 19, 2013.

1. zevansfordinliner

zevansfordinliner
    BANNED

I have a ford 300 l6 thats drivin me nuts about what manifolds to put on it. im just to cheap to buy a new manifold, and its a little mundane if you now what I mean;).For the intake i want multi carbs, i was thinking of cutting all the runners off and welding /braizing a regtangular tube (log style) and mounting 3 or 4 one barrels on it. how would it work, any suggestions for carbs? cheap and reliable if you no what i mean. How would you weld/braze regular steel onto cast? For the exhaust i was thinking of splitting the original manifold into three equal sections (two cylinders each) i would use the original manifold heat for the carbs. anyone try this? suggestions and pictures are appreciated.

2. BISHOP

BISHOP

I had flanges lazer cut and went from there.

autolite 1100 carbs

intake using exhaust tubing

bought pre bent cones and tubes from geardrive.

built the linkage from stainless

runs and sounds crazy.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
  3. BISHOP

BISHOP

I have a second 300 in the machine shop right now getting the works...

Big bore, big cam, big valves,

4. zevansfordinliner

zevansfordinliner
    BANNED

Thanks Bishop great work! how much hp roughly? did you just have an exhaust shop make you the bends?orrr..

5. You can weld steel to cast with nickle rod and a stick welder.

If you look around there are 4 bbl intakes for that 300 floating around it used to be a common modification, you can find used headers as well. A single holley is cheap and reliable on them.

You can buy header flanges already cut from most of the major header companies and probably even find a header kit or get some U bends and make up your own or even get a muffler shop to bend you up some tubes to weld to your new flanges.

I hear people talking about the need for manifold heat all the time. I haven't run manifold heat for decades and my stuff runs just fine. I am a little more patient than someone comming from a Lexus world and do let my engines warm up a bit when it is in the teens or below, but that is actually better for your engine than trying to run it cold anyway.

Anyway if you want cheap and dependable look around and find yourself a single 4 bbl setup.

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  6. BISHOP

BISHOP

HP... I have no idea
    Geardrive has all the bends you need for exhaust,

I had the bends for the intake bent at an exhaust shop.

7. zevansfordinliner

zevansfordinliner
    BANNED

is it possible to preaheat then mig it or no? may consider a single four but i saw multi carbs once so now im hooked haha

8. zevansfordinliner

zevansfordinliner
    BANNED

ok thanks Bishop, i think i may want to keep manifold heat up hear in the north. did anyone out there try a triple exhaust?

9. Dan Timberlake

Dan Timberlake

http://www.lincolnelectric.com/en-us/support/welding-how-to/Pages/welding-cast-iron-detail.aspx

http://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57605

At some point using wicking Loctite 290 may be useful (or necessary0 to seal cracks and porosity.

===================

Some very high performance sixes group the front 3 together, and the rear 3.
    http://www.influx.co.uk/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/D_8_S.jpg
    http://www.zeroexhausts.co.uk/images/gallery/large-Jaguar-D-Type.jpg

Mopar suggests longish (40 inch plus) primaries on slant sixes for drag racing.

Pete Hagenbuch (a Chrysler engine development engineer ) said this in an interview at
    http://www.allpar.com/corporate/bios/hagenbuch-interview.html#ixzz2LMLDHQ00

" I wanted in the worst kind of way to have a twin exhaust system because, man, will that do wonders for a 6. You put one, two and three, and four, five and six together and you run ‘em down about 6 or 8 feet and bring them together in one tailpipe and you’ve added great huge gobs of output."

Original is at Pete Hagenbuch - interview with a Chrysler engine development engineer (part 1) http://www.allpar.com/corporate/bios/hagenbuch-interview.html#ixzz2LMLDHQ00

10. I put a hemi together with *4 exhausts in the late '60s, a trip on an inliner would not be too far off base. If you were going for a theme thing a trip exhaust and trips on the carbs may be the ticket.

You cannot mig cast unless you can get nickle core wire. Do yourself a favor and build the eitire intake if you must have an owner built. Look it bishop's stuff it is top notch, nothing scabbed together.

* I did not build the headers, they came that way.

11. sunbeam

sunbeam

How are you going to get manifold heat to all carbs?

12. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

Later 300s with fuel injection had split exhaust manifolds that have been recommended highly by some guys that are supposed to know. They might or might not fit in your application, but are certainly worth a trip to the junkyard to take a look.

13. mustangsix

mustangsix

Greg Kossel posted one on inliners.org made from three stock manifolds. Go to inliners.org and look in Tech Tips, Ford 3x1bbl

[​IMG]

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  14. FTbass

FTbass

15. zevansfordinliner

zevansfordinliner
    BANNED

I only have to heat the central carb until everything warms up and then all is good- or thats the plan anyway;)

16. zevansfordinliner

zevansfordinliner
    BANNED

This is wicked but the only stock manifolds i have found were new castings and mucho denerios, any suggestions on were to find cheap stock 1bbl manifolds?

17. BISHOP

BISHOP

I have one, if you pay the shipping I will send it to ya.

I will cut just the center section off and send that.

As far as heating the intake, dont bother, 300s heat up pretty quick.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
  18. zevansfordinliner

zevansfordinliner
    BANNED

you will? wow you guys are the best. the best thing i did today was join the hamb why didnt i do it sooner:confused:. how do we handle payments around here on the hamb- paypal? thanks

19. BISHOP

BISHOP

After I cut it, I will box it and see what shipping is. Ill PM ya. Im sure it wont be much money...A check would be fine.

20. zevansfordinliner

zevansfordinliner
    BANNED

PM is message me right-sorry newbie here, thanks again

21. BISHOP

BISHOP

PM: private message

Im sure if you put an add up in the wanted section of the classifieds you can find a couple more cheap, Especially if your only needing the center sections (cheap shipping too)

22. zevansfordinliner

zevansfordinliner
    BANNED

Hey thanks again-I definatley will!! another question for ya, what other carbs will bolt on to that intake?, i think i have one carter yfa feedback one. with wires...boy do i hate wires.

23. sunbeam

sunbeam

If you want to build a log style manifold why not cut holes in the stock manifold and braze on carb flanges

24. zevansfordinliner

zevansfordinliner
    BANNED

inexpirence:eek: nuff said

25. Did you custom build or order m headers somewhere?

and btw does the FNG below my screen name meen f****** new guy?

26. zevansfordinliner

zevansfordinliner
    BANNED

and btw does the FNG below my screen name meen f****** new guy?[/QUOTE]

What:confused:

27. BISHOP

BISHOP

bought the bends and cones from geardrive and built the headers.

28. BISHOP

BISHOP

fuckin new guy, or girl

29. zevansfordinliner

zevansfordinliner
    BANNED

I knew that haha Those headers you have almost look cast

30. hellsgaterods

hellsgaterods

i have a clifford four bbl intake i run on my built 300, now im changing out to a clifford tripower intake with three holleys.

[​IMG]