Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Ford 3 speed side loader shift arm help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chopo, Jan 5, 2021.

1. chopo

chopo

I find myself in need or removing the shift arms off of the shafts. looks like they are pinned in? any know the best way to remove them ? I believe the trans came out of a 49 f1 its behind my 8ba

2. You'll probably have to drill at least part way into the pins to get them to move; one of mine came out that way and the other had to be completely drilled out. They're more like a rivet that has been expanded to be a tight fit in the arm and shaft...

3. Mac VP

Mac VP

Grind off the head of the pin. Find the center of the pin and carefully drive down into it with a 1/8 sharp drill bit.....but don’t go all the way through it yet. With the shifter housing clamped into a vice, try knocking the pin out with a 1/4” punch and a heavy hammer. Usually it will move out. Sometimes you’ll have to go to a 1/4” bit and basically drill the original pin out. You need to drill carefully aligned since this is the size of the pin and the shifter shaft hole.