Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ford 3 speed shift problems

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JohnnyP., Nov 17, 2013.

1. JohnnyP.

JohnnyP.

I've done my searching, and have come up with nothing. I have a 1962 falcon 170 w the 3 on the tree. Shifting works great reverse to first, second to third doesn't work. Taken the shift linkages off the trans and tried to do the shifting that way. Still not working. Same thing with the clutch pushed in. Still no go. Is there any way to get this un stuck with out pulling the transmission?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. Pull it and look inside,,,,,,,

3. Are you saying the shift linkage moves but the trans doesn't shift? Before you look for an internal trans problem, check to see that the second-high shifter arm that the linkage connects to is on tight. Once had a Saginaw 4 speed that wouldn't go in reverse. Tightened the bolt holding the shifter arm on. Problem solved.

4. JohnnyP.

JohnnyP.

Yeah, checked that already, and no go. Even smacked the aide with a hammer. Didn't know if this was a normal thing for these old transmissions, or if I am just out of luck and have to pull.

5. scrubba

scrubba

Johnny, this sounds like a weak spring within the second third syncronizer . Pull the side plate and manually pull the 2-3 slider back and forth across the syncronizer . My experence tells me you have a weak spring and sorry, thats something Ford gear boxes are bad about ! scrubba

6. R Pope

R Pope

Could be a problem in the side cover, mangled detent spring, stuck detent plunger.Check that before pulling it out.

7. Ole don

Ole don

Before going any further, you do have the rear wheels up and the front firmly chocked, right? If the weight of the car is against a gear, it wont want to move. When it does move, the car can roll over your feet. Do the above, then with a drain pan under the trans, remove the side cover and proceed.

8. 57Custom300

57Custom300
    from Arizona

I'm with R Pope. Could be a side cover issue. Pull the side cover, put 1 lever in gear then try to put the other lever gear. If you can the cover is bad.

9. JohnnyP.

JohnnyP.

I didn't have the rear wheels up. Tires chalked, yes. It will drive fine in all other gears, so I didn't think it was a stuck gear. And Ill try and pull that side cover tonight if I get a chance.

10. JohnnyP.

JohnnyP.

I have been offered a c4 from a 65 200. Will it fit onto my 170? I keep reading mixed things on it. Is the 62 170 different block than the 65?