Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ford 3-spd + OD toploader manual transmissions?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by zonkola, Feb 11, 2004.

1. pdq67

pdq67

You might do your homework on the MOPAR/GM A833 4-speed stick OD tranny?

And from what I found, the RUG top-loader OD tranny doesn't have all that much of an OD gear in 4th if not mistaken.

It's been years tho....

pdq67

2. Algon

Algon

Ford-man if you can change the tail housing to a standard toploader, you can bolt a Hurst to it or you can simply make an adapter bracket. The worst you'll run into is the 3-4 shift is reversed for clearance of the large OD gear so you have to flip the Hurst arm or keep the stock one depending on the exact shifter you choose. I've converted a competition plus, a super shifter, and the Hurst version of the old Vertigate to these with minor hassle

1st through 3rd can take a beating stock but the draw back is only in power shifting the large diameter narrow 4th OD gear. If you make a clean shift and apply power on it it's fine but otherwise you'll shred it which is why the trans got a bad rep.The snycros/ bearings can also be upgraded to really beef it up making the only weak link the OD, just get the job done in 3 and cruise in 4th.

By the way they have a .85-.87 OD.... but the ticket is the deeper gearing in the trans so you can run less gear in the rearend.

3. pauls fords

pauls fords

Need parts for them 3 speed od's, try Mac"s transmissions on Cullen in Houston Texas, used to work for them and have bought parts pieces and gears.

4. george5121

george5121
    from omaha Ne.

There is some good reading here. Some not so good. I have not seen anything that really gets to the heart of the 3 speed OD toploader problem. Old toploaders have gears that are longer or wider but not necessarily stronger. At least not by much. SMOD has a larger front bearing than the old toploader. Big problem with the aluminum case tranny is machining and bearing quality. If you remove the bearing retainer and snap ring on an aluminum case tranny you should be able to remove the bearing with your finger tips. The rear bearing is the same way. Add that to the softer aluminum case and you know why they fail. I have all 4 of these units so I kind of know what is inside. No I'm not looking to sell anytime soon but If someone needs a picture of one or the other I can do that. The ford truck shifters are generally loose sloppy junk with a body nearly twice the size of the old Hurst.

5. Broncoman75

Broncoman75

I think I for one would really find it valuable if you could post up some good pictures of each of these transmissions and label them so that its really easy to see which is which and so we can get a nice visual comparison.
    So, do all of these transmissions have the same input shaft and bellhousing bolt pattern?
    Thanks

6. george5121

george5121
    from omaha Ne.

I will see if I can post pictures in a couple of days. The all have the typical bolt pattern found on a 302. Old top loaders have the dual bolt pattern ie 62 and 82. Most SROD have both bolt patterns. The SMOD has only the 65 and later bolt pattern. Some TOD have both bolt patterns but the top left is not drilled through because of a difference in case casting. They all have a 6&1/2 inch input shaft except for the big block toploader. Big block toploader has a 6 inch shaft. Other toploaders are classified as small block. These all use the same slip yoke. Some old toploaders have larger diameter input and output shafts.

7. george5121

george5121
    from omaha Ne.

Not sure how to do this so I guess one picture at a time:confused:

Old toploader 4 speed no OD. Speedo opening on right side.
    Right side of case is flat. Looks like SMOD except for tail housing is different has dual bolt pattern on front. SMOD has hump on right side to make room for OD gear.

Attached Files:

8. george5121

george5121
    from omaha Ne.

SROD comes in 2 wheel drive and 4 wheel drive. Used in some mustangs.
    The small opening on the left side is the shift turret. Car or truck it's the same except for the tail housing.

Attached Files:

9. george5121

george5121
    from omaha Ne.

SMOD, Has bigger bearings than a 4 speed. Same bearings as most Spicer 5 speeds found in C-60 chevy truck. Left side speedo Right side hump for OD gear. All 4 speed overdrives have three different gear ratio setups.
    6 cyl, 302, and 351. Has only 1 bolt pattern for mounting. Pay no attention to holes around retainer this box is about to have a new life.

I have never seen one but it also comes in 4X4.

Attached Files:

10. george5121

george5121
    from omaha Ne.

TOD 2 wheel and 4 wheel versions. Bolt holes for mounting vary. I have 3 that are all different. (some holes drilled some not) Same gears same tranny just a stick on top. Everything inside is interchangable into other OD cases. Changing another case to a top shift is a lot more work than you are hearing. it is not that simple. Holes to drill and thread in case grinding to do and shim bushings to make for shift fork.

Look at bolt holes not all go through.

Attached Files:

11. george5121

george5121
    from omaha Ne.

Couple of other minor details on the toploaders. OD boxes have a thicker bearing retainer to make room for bigger bearings.

Not all speedo gears are the same. Sure there are different teeth counts but some are also cut in the opposite direction.
    You may have the right count but if it is cut in the wrong direction it will live a short life. Little things like this is why they are Fix Or Repair Daily. Ford has many parts that bolt together just fine and appear to work, but only hours or a few days.

Big Block Toploaders, no OD, have a 6 inch input shaft. All others that I know of are 6&1/2. :eek: :confused: :p

Unfortunately as much as I do know about these there is still probably a lot I do not know.

Attached Files:

12. AllSteel36

AllSteel36
    from California

Just wanted to point out, EVEN OLD SCHOOL HAMBERS...reply to 5 year old threads.

a

13. Fourbrrl

Fourbrrl

Man... I know this is an OLD thread
    just HAD TO REPLY ;)
    I have a toploader in my 400HP Windsor powered Grabber, I just HAPPEN to have an SMOD WITH the shifter.
    I cut the shifter handle to weld on to a SS III hurst mount.

Now that I KNOW how hard the shifters are to come by, I need to find the old 2 bolt top mount for the shift lever.
    Darn... don't have a pic to post on this PC :(

14. Fourbrrl

Fourbrrl

here it is

Attached Files: