Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ford 3 brush generator help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fryguy, Sep 19, 2012.

1. fryguy

fryguy

Had my generator in my 37 Ford rebuilt to 12 volt. Its also running a 12 volt cutout. I told them I was moving to negative ground so I would need the generator to work accordingly. I have it connected, the cutout sits on top with two mounting poles. One pole has a wire from the brush connected to it. There is also a wire coming out of the back that is grounded to the genny case. The second pole doesn't have anything connected to it. I assume this is the pole that I have to connect to the lead to the battery. I can post pics for visual aid. I don't see a charge at the battery when I have it hooked up this way. The battery just reads about 12.3 when running or off. The second pole that is connected reads between .8 and 1.2 volts when running. I adjust the third brush but I don't see any real increase in voltage, I am assuming I should see 14.4 volts when charging.

Does anybody have an valuable experience in dealing with 3 brush generators with cutouts?

-Fryguy

2. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Get the lid off the cutout and see that wire from gen is connected to the side that energizes pull-in coil...not backwards. I assume you mean a 12 v cut in -cutout here, and NOT a special electronic "cutout" that is actually a regulator for 12v?? GOTTA know that!
    If it is a real cutout I think other gen wire gets grounded to cutout base screw. If it is not actually a cutout but one of those mini regulators, do not do ANYTHING until you are on the phone with the guy who built it! Smoke time!
    Brush adjustment sets amp output, not volts! Amps have to be set high enough for your load.
    I suspect we are talking about one of the (perhaps "just a hobby" brand) REGULATORS built to look like a cutout and to convert these things to actual regulated operation, and as I said ask the guy who built it...or expect SMOKE!

3. fryguy

fryguy

Bruce, I think its a true cutout, built by a Generator repair shop. I'll post a pic shortly

4. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Look inside...should just be a pair of points and a little coil to move'em. You have to just be sure output wire is hooked up to right side to juice up the coil as voltage builds, other side to bat. From memory other wire to base.

HOld the PResses! I think I have book here at work! Book good!

5. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

OK, I think that's right, one of the 2 wires coming out to the input side of cutout, other grounds to a cutout base screw. Remaining cutout terminal goes to the battery via ammeter, etc.

6. jerico

jerico

7. fryguy

fryguy

Bruce, here is a pic of the cutout on top of the genny. One is actually marked with a + sign. I assume a wire should run from that to the Battery? I am able to move the third brush but it doesn't seem to create any amperage from the genny. I put a volt meter on the cutout post marked +. I get the same reading as I do at the battery

[​IMG]

8. fryguy

fryguy

Does, the ammeter control anything other than just reading output? Can I bypass the meter? How do I polarize a genny with a cutout?

9. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

The cutout isn't Ford made...I'd want to see what lives in there, but it is not at all like the regulators built into a Ford cutout shell so probably just an aftermarket replacement. For 12 V with no regulator, maybe ancient Dodge or 1930's truck/bus??
    Polarization is I believe a quick flash with a wire between the 2 terminals.
    We're on dangerous ground here with a bunch of unidentified non-Ford bits holding the smoke in!

10. fryguy

fryguy

Ok, polarizing is a flash between the two terminals?

The + post should just be one wire back to the battery to charge?

11. fryguy

fryguy

I looked at the genny from the passenger side of the car and I noticed I have a strap running from the side bolt on the genny where one of the field terminals is connected to a bolt on the frame. This was how my 6 volt genny was hooked up. That was positive ground so I am thinking maybe that strap is interfering with the flow of the voltage. I am going to remove it to see if that changes anything

12. Bad Eye Bill

Bad Eye Bill
    from NB Canada

Just assuming here, (We all know what that means), I can't help you with your wiring questions because I don't have experience with this system.

However, is your engine idling when you say it is running? It's been my experience that with a generator engine speed must be above idle to show a charging voltage, while an alternator would show right around 14.4 at idle.

That Lancaster guy sounds like he knows what he's talking about, probably should listen to him. :D