Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Ford 3.03 ID help please

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1pickup, Sep 4, 2021.

1. 1pickup

1pickup

I've dug around the net long enough. I've got a Ford 3 speed trans that is supposed to be out of a '63 F250 w/ a Y-block. Tag reads; HEF 041216. I'm assuming it should say something after the HEF, but I can't see it. I'm looking to buy a basic rebuild kit, but I think the '63-'64s may be different than the later ones? I'd like to A) find out which kit I need & B) find out where to buy that kit & C) find out what the gear ratios are. I'm thinking this is a good candidate for the Jeep shift tower conversion.

2. squirrel

squirrel

no pictures?

Deuces likes this.
  3. 1pickup

1pickup

We don't all have smart phones. They are not traditional.

4. squirrel

squirrel

My 86 year old mom doesn't have a smart phone, but she has a little digital camera....she forgot how to use it, but still, there's more than one way to get a picture onto your post...smart phones are not required.

Desoto291Hemi, Deuces and Crazy Steve like this.

5. Joe Travers

Joe Travers
    from Louisiana

I imagine it's a BW T-85. Does it have D-shaped side plate?
    Is the case stamped?

Joe

6. finn

finn

63 was the first year for the 3.03 fully synchronized three speed.

As far as I know it went in everything except the lowly six cylinder Falcon, including pickups.

Being an F250, it may be an outlier, but I suspect not.

7. Joe Travers

Joe Travers
    from Louisiana

Eh.....missed the 3.03 in the title. Toploader stuff.
    Carry on.

Joe

8. When I was looking for a trans all the truck ones were short.....like this:
    [​IMG]

Duellym, Desoto291Hemi and Deuces like this.
  9. Jim is right,,,,,,,pics make all the difference usually.
    A lot of guys here can view a pic and tell you more than the numbers can .
    There’s a lot of talent on here ,,,,,(,myself excluded ),,,,these guys amaze me sometimes .

Tommy

seb fontana, vtx1800 and Just Gary like this.
  10. Google David Kee Transmissions. Giving them all the numbers will reveal ratios, and rebuild kits. I thought 1964 was the first year the toploader was used. 3 speeds came in two ratios-close (2.42,1.61,1.00) and wide (2.99, 1.75,1.00) Truck transmissions were usually wide.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2021
    Boneyard51 likes this.
  11. 1pickup

1pickup

I have a camera. It's just a production to do it. I will try later. But yes, it is a top loader with a short tail shaft. I've seen the David Kee stuff, his 3 speed ID chart starts at '65 & doesn't include the F-series trucks. That's one reason why I'm asking about the '63-'64s being different. Plus, I understand there are different sized sychros in some of them. So, trying to buy the correct rebuild kit (before tearing it apart) & not having all of the tag code (nothing readable after the HEF) is why I asked the knowledge base here. It came with what I was told is a Y block bell housing. I found conflicting info on whether the 6 cyl trans was different than the V8. And conflicting info on gear ratios as well.

12. squirrel

squirrel

Pull the cover off, count teeth....

Hollanders lists several different suffixes for the HEF transmissions. They're all for different flavors of 1965 trucks.

If you can't do pictures of yours, then use google images or ebay to find pictures of transmissions that look just like yours, and post them here, and let folks know that they are NOT yours, but that yours looks like the one in the picture.

I really am trying to help, but you have to step up, and make it possible for us to help.

13. 1pickup

1pickup

parts 015.jpg parts 016.jpg parts 017.jpg parts 018.jpg
    @squirrel - I know. I just assumed somebody was a 3.03 guru and could rattle off the numbers. I got some pics & some numbers. My pic of the tag, is starting to look like there is an A after HEF. Didn't see that in the shop light. On the body by the shift levers: C3AR 7006(case part #, I assume) BS 4D30 (date code?) DIF. Tail shaft: C3TR-7A040-C.

Just Gary likes this.
  14. squirrel

squirrel

The date code 4 D 30 means April 30, 1964.

I bet with some persistent use of abrasives, you could find the rest of the letters and numbers on that tag.

Thanks for the pictures, helps a lot! Might also want to include one of the front of the transmission, showing all of the input shaft, and the face that bolts to the bellhousing.

Just Gary likes this.
  15. 1pickup

1pickup

I'll get that pic for you. My son is in auto mechanics at the local tech college & it's manual trans time. He wanted one to rebuild. I was hoping to get the kit w/o tearing it apart - so he can do the tear down too. Just don't wanna get one with the wrong size synchros.

16. 1pickup

1pickup

parts.jpg
    Don't know if any of this helps, but here's some quick measurements: mounting face to end of input shaft 7 1/4"; diameter of bearing retainer 4 1/2"; 10 spline input 1 3/8"

Nailhead Jason likes this.
  17. C3AR 7006 E breaks down into C3 (1963 casting design) AR (full size car, also used in trucks) 7006 (transmission case part) E (5th engineering revision of that part). C3TR on the tail shaft housing- T is truck. Since it does not have a cast in mount on the tail shaft housing, it was designed for use with a bell housing that had frame mounts. I think the Y block bell for trucks had that, not sure about car bell unless it was an early one.

squirrel likes this.
  18. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Early Ford bolt pattern. Ford went to the wider trans bolt pattern in '65 , at least for the cars. But it might have been a mid year production change. Some were drilled for both the narrow and wide pattern. The narrow pattern full syncro 3 speed out of a '64 comet had the narrow pattern. Also check the output spines. My '64 had a different tooth count than did the latter one I eventually replaced it with.

19. 1pickup

1pickup

So that pretty much confirms that it really is a '63 F250. I have the bell that came with it & it looks to be a truck part w/ mounts. Now, my plan to put the T150 shifter on it & use it behind a 401/425 Nailhead might not be the way to go. Unless I can fab some mounts off the aluminum Nailhead bell I have that fits this trans. Either way, I still can't find a rebuild kit for the '63-'64 3.03.

20. 1pickup

1pickup

Hmm... except the April '64 date code.

squirrel likes this.
  21. Budget36

Budget36

Nothing to add worthwhile, but that’s the cleanest transmission I’ve ever seen pull from a 3/4 truck!

Truck64 likes this.
  22. squirrel

squirrel

The 1963 part number, with a 1964 casting date, is exactly what we'd expect for a part that was used in both 1963 and 1964.

ffr1222k likes this.
  23. HEF G= Std Ford 3 spd, 2.59-1 ratio used on 1963 F100/250 292 column shift trucks.

squirrel likes this.
  24. Is the input shaft long enough to work with the nailhead bell? Changing out to a longer output shaft and case with a mount would also work.

25. 1pickup

1pickup

@Bangingoldtin
    parts 019a.jpg
    Think that'll work? Offy 5031. '57-up Nailhead to '49-'64 Ford & '51-'64 Merc trans.
    I could easily build a rear mount off the tail shaft bolts to make it easy to put in my chassis.
    @choffman41 I'm not seeing the "G" on my tag. It looks like an "A".

Just Gary likes this.
  26. sunbeam

sunbeam

My go to guys are A & Reds in Wichita Ks for transmission stuff.

27. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

It looks like the input shaft sticks out about an inch too far for that stack up. So if you put an inch or so adapter between the bellhousing and transmission it should end up just right.

[​IMG]

28. miker98038

miker98038
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As an aside, all the Yblock truck bells had the mounts on the bellhousing so far as I’ve seen. And they’re deeper than the car bell, so the input shaft is longer. Seems to fit with what you’ve got.

29. My tailshaft is a little longer and has a mount casting ('64 FE car) HD unit, the light duty one has a aluminum tailshaft (6 and small V8 cars).

Trucks = short tailshaft (some have the yoke bolted on)
    HD steel car unit = mid length
    light duty car aluminum = longest length

Last edited: Sep 6, 2021
  30. The '49 to '64 Ford transmission is not the same as the top loader. If you have the motor, bolt the Offy bell on it and using threaded rod into the back of the bell, slide the transmission in until the input shaft bottoms out into the pilot bushing. Back the transmission out about 1/8" and measure the gap between the transmission and bell to see how thick a spacer needs to be. I would think anything over an inch is going to cause clutch fork issues.