Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Ford 289 Prob!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Danny1610, May 21, 2021.

1. Danny1610

Danny1610

Hi Hambers!! I have in the garage a freshely rebuilt Ford 289, customer says has bad idle problems. Carb is a 4 barrel and is not the original one. The Intake is a "street eliminator" one. Still complaying about idle problems, says when he's at high RPM car runs smoothly, but when he stops she always stalls and shuts down.

My thoughts are in a CARBURETOR problem.
    Maybe he needs a new one (Hard to accept for him)

What your thoughts are guys?
    Appreciate any kind of help.

Sorry for bad english skills:(

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Sound like a vaccum leak. Spray carb cleaner around base of carb and see if the idle changes.
    Sent from my SM-G988U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55, acme30, Deuces and 3 others like this.
  3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

An engine is an engine and a carburetor is a carburetor no matter where it was made.

Simply meaning the same things that apply to any other engine with a carburetor apply to the 289.
    Vacuum leaks
    Idle mixture adjustment
    idle speed adjustment
    Internal adjustments in the carb That may be great for all out performance but not good for the idle.
    I'd say that the first thing is to put a vacuum gauge on it and see what it says.

4. o_O agree ..sounds like a vacuum leak.. Cup your hands over the top of the carburetor to restrict the air flow . If it speeds up its a vacuum leak

5. big bird

big bird

Intake gasket leak possibly under the intake in the lifter valley. Were the heads or block decked?
    Intake has vertical bolts (Not perpendicular to intake/head mating surface)and is more fussy than a chevy. to torqueing bolts or angle mismatch

theburningbush likes this.
  6. Ericnova72

Ericnova72
    from Michigan

Initial ignition timing, and the mechanical advance springs and weights can also be the culprit....not just the carb.

Only way it can be the intake manifold is gasket leak or improperly machined gasket faces causing leaks.
    Won't be an issue caused by intake design.

chryslerfan55 likes this.