Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Ford 28 spline small bearing axle

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Darin Younce, Jun 24, 2020.

1. I ordered an axle from Summitt. It is a cut to fit . The bearings are the small ones with 1.378 inch inside measurement which are exactly correct and are whats on the old axle, the new axle measures 1.384 inches where the bearing and retainer are suppose to set . It is advertised for the small bearing . I know the retainer is suppose to be driven on being I replaced these last year but as I recall the bearing sled on fairly easily . This seems too tight for the bearing so I left it alone. Also to compound the problem , the brake register is way bigger than my drums will fit . I have considered converting to disk because another issue is one drum is broke in a couple areas ( outer area not braking surface) and have had a hard time finding drums for a reasonable price Mac,s are 120.00 apiece and if I went ahead and got both, I would be in for over $240.00 and a disc brake conversion is anywhere from 270ish to 370 according to weather it has emerged brake set up. But wait, there's more ( know yall hate me by now) the flanges are tad too big for what most of the disc brake conversions will allow. Whew. Any who, all suggestions will be appreciated. Sorry I bounced around on this but I tired , got a new phone that is a bit smaller and , well thats all the excuses I can come up with.

2. RichFox

RichFox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I would call Summit and tell them just what you told us. They sometime send things that re mismachined.

3. Thanks , will do .