Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Ford 223 six tuning advise

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by KenCash1987, Jan 8, 2015.

1. KenCash1987

KenCash1987
    from Norway

Hi guys! I want to get some more power out of the 223 in my '59 f100! I would like to run an offenhauser dual carb intake and patriot headers...is that going to work with an electronic distributor? What else could I do with the engine to get more power.without too much work? Thankful for any advise

Last edited: Jan 8, 2015
  2. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Don't see any issues with dist doing that. Also mill head .060. Next step is a cam change.

3. sunbeam

sunbeam

My first move would be to replace the loadomatic distributor. I think Mallory still makes one.

4. KenCash1987

KenCash1987
    from Norway

Thanks! I've read somewhere that I would need a dual point dist when running 2 carbs...So I bought a mallory dual point a while back..but I'll try the setup i mentioned and see how it works!

5. KenCash1987

KenCash1987
    from Norway

Thanks! Actually they dont make them anymore...but I got an old one...but I have installed pertronix electronic on it...do you think that will work with 2 carbs?

6. PackardV8

PackardV8

Yes, the Mallory/Pertronix will work fine.
    Yes, mill the head about .050" for more compression
    Yes, have someone who knows how give it a good valve job. These eat valve guides, so do it right.
    Yes, find a good welder and have him make tube dual exhaust headers. Won't make it go much faster, but if you're slow, at least sound righteous while snailing along.

jack vines

7. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

If you still have the Loadamatic dist. Shit Can It !! It did not work well stock and even with a Pertronix it still won't and adding carbs- cam etc. it will be even worse. When you said electronic dist I figured you had something modern .

8. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

9. KenCash1987

KenCash1987
    from Norway

10. sunbeam

sunbeam

The 223 is pretty tough for a 4 main 6 cyl. Ford made a diesel version for their tractors. If the 2 carb look is not important there is a Clifford intake on Ebay that would offer better driveability.

11. greaseyknight

greaseyknight
    from Burley WA

Whats funny is that I had the LoadOMatic hooked up to the 2 Holley 1904's on my dual carb intake. Swapped in a 300 dizzy and it didn't seem to make much of a difference. But I teed in the ports from both carbs to get the full vacuum signal.

A set of headers will also help, you can buy them new for pretty cheap.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

12. KenCash1987

KenCash1987
    from Norway

Ok! Thank you...yeah, Ive seen both clifford and patriot headers..almost the same price...also fenton intake and headers, but I think those are super rare...I really like the look of the dual holley setup, more than the clifford setup...what kind of headers are you running? Do you have a picture of your engine?

13. greaseyknight

greaseyknight
    from Burley WA

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1420988782.622745.jpg

I have an Offy, the main problem is getting the linkage set up and the carbs synced, mine isn't done as I currently live 2,000 miles away from the truck and only get to mess with it on vacations. No idea what headers I have, I think they are cliffords, they dump about at the oil pan, scored them at a swap meet.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

14. KenCash1987

KenCash1987
    from Norway

like the look with two carbs! the easiest would probably be clifford setup..but this looks better! I live in norway, so the shipping costs are pretty high..thats why I want to be absolutly sure before I order anything :) thanks

15. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

HRM did a hop-up article on the Ford OHV six when it was new...I think the issue is July 1953. Worth looking over for simple hopping, especially since the engine was so seldom considered for rodding.

16. David Chandler

David Chandler

I would guess that the twin carbs would give you better front to rear distribution as far as the fuel/air goes. I would consider it for my 250 Chevy. I knew several people with 223's and one with a 215, all of them liked them and they seemed to run longer than the rest of the vehicle.
    Good Luck!

17. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ