Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Ford 223 cylinder head skim

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dave 62 pb, Jul 18, 2018.

1. dave 62 pb

dave 62 pb

How much to skim off a standard Ford 223 cylinder head to boost the compression for a little more performance,
    Dont want to go mad as the only other mods are dual intake with 1904 holleys and a set of headers , sticking with stock cam as i am not going to throw loads of money into it unless i see a cheap used comp/cam

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Without a better cam, milling the head is not $$ well spent unless it's off for valve work. They are also touchy on pushrod/lifter length when hydraulics are used.

3. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

These engines were undercarburated but most importantly they used Loadomatic distributors.

The LOM system used a spark valve on the carburetor and a vacuum only advance on the distributor. The single carburetor and vacuum distributor were a matched pair.

This means if you change the carburetor, you must also change the distributor to a mechanical or vacuum mechanical advance.

The 240-300 six used a vacuum/mechanical distributor on some years. You have to be careful as some 240s used LOM as well.

The 240-300 distributor can be used on a 223. For the 64. 223, it's a simple gear change.
    1963 and before requires more modification to the 300 distributor due to shaft size an oil drive compatability.

As said make sure the "300" distributor has mechanical advance.

You can use .... later 300 or aftermarket mechanical like a vintage Mallory unit.

The stock 223 LOM distributor is NOT compatible with dual carburetors.

town sedan and 302GMC like this.
  4. town sedan

town sedan

No hydraulic lifters in a 215/223/262 Ford six. The late silent lash 223 had a spring loaded rocker arm design that Rube Goldberg would be proud of, but still solid lifters.
    -Dave

Truck64 likes this.

5. dave 62 pb

dave 62 pb

This is a spare engine that I am rebuilding so the head is off for valve work any way, looking for advise on how much to have skimmed off
    This engine has a new distributer so will have to check what it is but I know its got vacuum advance, will this not work if the carbs are linked with a T for the vacuum , not done this with Holleys but have had twin carbs on British cars piped this way that work

6. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Adding compression is good on any engine in my opinion. I figure how much by lookin at the water passages in the head and see how much "meat" is showing and make my decision then. Not on a 223 but other Inlines I've taken off .125" .....

Oh yeah it's not a "skim" it's milling the head... But then your not here where it's zero and not nil ;)

7. town sedan

town sedan

The factory distributor will have no advance weights under the cap. Advance is achieved by a combination of manifold & venturi vacuum. The 300 distributor with the mechanical & vacuum advance is worth the trouble for the swap.
    -Dave

8. PackardV8

PackardV8

I've cut .060" off with no problems and good results.
    Since you're doing a valve job, convert to positive seals and do pocket porting with a bowl hog.

jack vines