Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ford 223 6 cyl. differences?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Knoxville, Mar 22, 2010.

1. Knoxville

Knoxville

I've got '60 F100 with a 262/4speed. Just picked up a good running 223 said to be out of a 61-up truck that i'm going to swap in.
    I know 223's came in 50's trucks/cars too....

Are there any major differences? I want to be sure the 223 will bolt up to the non-syncr 4 spd that's in the truck already.

Are there any drawbacks if it is an older 223?

And would it take the same flywheel and clutch as it did with the 3 spd it was mated to?

I've read a lot of past threads on these motors, but couldn'y find this info. Thanks for any help

2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

It "should" bolt up with no problems.........may require switching a few parts that are configured a little differently......last of the 223/262's was 1964 I believe, replaced by 240/300 series.

Ray

3. A '60 should have a T98 snychro unless somebody stuck a T9 in it ? Mainshaft spline will be different.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2010
  4. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Perhaps I should have been more specific in my comment. What I was suggesting is....I fully expect you will find the block and crank flange the same between the 223 and 262 engines. If you want to use your existing HD 4 speed box, you probably will need to use the flywheel, clutch disc, pressure plate,etc. and bellhousing from the 262 on the 223. Maybe teir will be some slight differences in other engine exterior components that will need changing, but there should be no major problems in this swap.

Ray

5. Knoxville

Knoxville

Well it would probably be a safe guess that since it's got a 262 that doesnt belong there, the non-syncro trans probably got swapped in with the motor. But 262's were only in 61-64 commercial applications.....thought the syncro trans were earlier than that........
    Damn Fords

6. All truck trans 53 and up are synchronized......T98's are about the only 4 speed that will bolt up to a 262. Soooooo, most likely you have a t98, but if it's grinding maybe your clutch is shot or the trans is worn out. Your trans should have numbers cast into the side of it......like T98 etc....

7. Knoxville

Knoxville

Thanks Hnstray, i got most of the bolt-ons figures out today.

What year trucks had the non-syncro 4 speed trans??
    I need to order a clutch kit for it, and i'm hoping i can just use the Flywheel from the 262. Hopefully everything will somewhat interchange.....

Thanks for any info

8. Knoxville

Knoxville

Haha, you must have posted that just as i was typing that last one, thanks.....
    So that means i've got an oddball trans too? maybe a commercial only?
    is it a different bolt pattern than a 223? Seems like it should be the same

9. Doll Kustom

Doll Kustom

okay. so i don't know if this is any help at all. but my 64 ford 3/4 ton has a 262 with a 4 speed compound low. my 54 ford custom (car) has a 223 with a 3 speed on the column. I was looking into clutches for my truck at one point (and at that point i didn't know if the truck had a 223 or a 262) I found out that the 262's had a 12" clutch, and the 223's had a 10" clutch.
    there are some differences. the block should hit the mounts no problem, the bolt up to the trans will have some changes.
    ( I had a post about vin number lookup- to find out which motor i had in my truck, that may help you some too.)
    good luck!!!
    post all your info when you're done... for the next guy! :)

xoxo denise

10. Knoxville

Knoxville

Ok, thanks Doll Kustom. That helps knowing they're different clutches.
    I've been hearing that the bell housings should have the same bolt pattern. So I'll have to figure out the clutch situation when I get everything apart.

11. Doll Kustom

Doll Kustom

let me know too.. i also know that the block has more support ridges on the outside of a 262, (doesn't really mean anything, but it serves as a marking to tell the difference) on mine. the 1964 262 engine has perimeter bolt holes on the valve cover, and the 1954 223 has the two in the middle that bolt through the top of the valve cover instead of through the flange. not sure if that is a ten year difference or a CI difference between the two. the fuel pump is also different in pitch where it rides on the cam.
    they're all minimal, but enough different to make parts hunting an experience!

(it's kinda nice to have the two motors, and work on them both, you sure do notice a lot of little things.)

12. fjordrIver

fjordrIver
    from California

Does the 262 give more torque or was the 223 not available for commercial truck applications?
    There is an EXCELLENT thread in the In Line Motors social group that Doll Kustom started about improving the 223. http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/group.php?do=discuss&discussionid=9287 phartman has some great advise. Interested in your results and a picture would be really great.

13. Knoxville

Knoxville

Thanks guys, i've gotten alot of info, i'll keep you posted.
    And i'll be selling that 262 and a 3 speed (both good) as soon as i get the 223 put together and have time to swap them.
    Can hear it run, lookin for maybe a couple hundred bucks or close to that.

14. R Pope

R Pope

Another oddity is the 223 I have in a '64 pickup. It has a gear drive cam that turns the other way! The distributor gear is cut the other way, too, so it still turns the "right" way. Weird Fords!

15. Knoxville

Knoxville

That's a 262 - someone mighta swapped it in like they did in my '60.

16. R Pope

R Pope

Isn't the 262 a taller block? Mine is the same deck height as two other sixes, I don't think they're all 262's.

17. Knoxville

Knoxville

I'm pretty sure the block is the same on a 262, except for slight outer casting differences. I know they're the same bell housing bolt pattern....

18. Left Turn

Left Turn
    Member Emeritus
    from Omaha, NE

Your bell housing should be the same.. The only thing they changed that bell for was the 3spd.. Another thing I noticed too on one 223 I had all the head bolts were smaller in diameter. (don't remember size off hand) but I went to put a bolt back in a block to lift it and it just slipped in the hole.. There are a couple diff. water pumps (big one that sticks out off the side of the block, and a small one w/ no over hang).. With the diff pumps there are at least 2 different gen. top mounts.. Center bolt, and outside bolt valve covers/heads. a couple different oil pumps..

Oh another tip, if you were ever putting a 223 in something that needed clearance up front where the oil pump dip is on the pan, you can just extend the pump lines and flip the pan around with out hacking up the pan or drilling new holes..

There are a couple diff. fuel pumps too (mainly old style w/ the sediment bowl and one with out).. You can use a later 300 Ford dizzy if you get an oil pump for a later 223 w/ the large hex shaft.. and then make the hole a bit bigger on the 223 dizzy gear.. I'm in the process of doing this..

Oh and if your looking for dress up parts Offy has an Intake and Valve Cover, Fenton used to make some stuff too, it's just hard to find.. The Offy and Fenton covers are center bolt so if you want to use them w/ a stagger bolt head you need to attach a couple studs to the rocker stand... or find a centerbolt head..

And if you ever decide you don't want to use that 4spd swap the bell out for a 3spd bell and you've got a few good options for transmissions.. I've got a 4spd OD toploader hooked up to mine.. It's not the strongest behind real healthy engines but I don't think my old six will ever see 250hp..

I'll add more when I think of it!

19. Knoxville

Knoxville

Thanks Left Turn, I'm gonna look into that 300 distributor.....I have a cool old Mallory Dual Point from the 262, but it sounds easier to get one for a 300.

I've got a Clifford intake on the way, plan on going with the Patriot long tube split header, and possibly a 265 grind cam from Clay Smith.

I don't WANT to keep the 4 speed, but it works great, and i'm trying to stay on a tight budget with this truck, gonna be my daily driver.
    I'd love to do the T-5 swap, beein reading up on it.....but i'll have way too much wrapped up in the motor and trans if i do that. Maybe later on....