Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ford 2.3L Guru's ,what year?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hammeredabone, Apr 22, 2006.

1. hammeredabone

hammeredabone

I want to buy a running Ford Ranger 2.3L and 5 speed, put the drivetrain in my 29 pickup. What's the best year to look for? I don't want to run a computer. My buddy had an 84 and said it did not have computerized carb or ignition. TIA

2. junk runner jr

junk runner jr

You'll want to start with a single plug motor. I am not sure what year they went to the dual plug head but its the same time they went to distributorless ingnition.

I would look for an engine and tranny from an 86 or newer thunderbird or mustang. Yes they are injucted but you dont need to use it. What you are looking for is the lower intake manifold from the injected motor. It will out flow any aftermarket intake with the exception of Side draft webbers. Racer Walsh sells an adaptor to run a carb. I am running an injected turbo motor in my roadster. Pm me if you have any questions

3. Frank

Frank

Lots of 79 - 93 Mustang guys guy a 4 banger car and toss the motor for a 5.0. You can usually pick up a good running motor and tranny for about $100. You can find Offenhauser intakes that will allow you to bolt on a small Holley 390cfm 4brl. Racer Walsh has lots of performance parts for them. Check on some Mustang boards or Craigslist.

4. Clark

Clark

What about pulley systems? Most of the Ranger's had serpentine belts. Did the early ones have V belt pulleys.
    Clark

5. hammeredabone

hammeredabone

Thanks for the input guys. Clark, as far as I know that 84 Ranger my friend had used v pulley system. The reason I wanted to use the ranger was also for the narrower rear. My 29 will have fenders.