Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Ford 168 flex plate swap?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ugliefrance, May 13, 2018.

1. ugliefrance

ugliefrance

Hi guys. Still arsing about with this odd ball flex plate.
    Its a Ford 289 onto a C6 box. Given up trying to find a starter.
    So do you know if a 164 tooth flex plate will fit? What balance ? 28oz?
    14" 1/4 across. 4 bolt torque 11" 3/8 the long way and 7" 5/8 the short.
    Most info in photo.
    Thanks for any advice.

Attached Files:

2. Yes, the C6 is supposed to use the 164T flexplate, and yes, you'll need a 28oz flexplate for a 289. As a general rule, the C6 wasn't used in cars behind the small blocks (there's a few rare exceptions), but was the main choice in trucks until OD arrived. So think mid-80s 351W truck when looking for parts.

One reason the C6 wasn't used in SB-powered cars was because of it's high parasitic drag; it takes about 50hp to spin one, and Ford deemed the power and mileage losses were too great.

Chiss likes this.
  3. squirrel

squirrel

Would a 1979 truck equipped with a 302 and C6 have the correct parts? Didn't the balance on the little engines change in 1980?

and you can spin any automatic transmission with less than 50 hp.... they take a percentage, not a fixed amount of power. The C6 might take a bit more percentage than a lighter transmission, but it will also survive a lot of abuse in stock form.

4. junkman8888

junkman8888

The balance "supposedly" changed from 28 to 50 oz. in 1981. I say "supposedly" because Ford built a one-year only engine with a balance weight somewhere between those two values (gotta love them Fords!).

5. Chiss

Chiss
    from S.C.

C-4 Lives comfortably out to 500 HP, it's been proven for Years, Unless you towing a Boat everyday you pissing away 25 HP on Agreeable average, The C-4 everything being Equal will be the Faster Car.

6. ugliefrance

ugliefrance

I picked the truck up half built in the UK. Problem was the 168 tooth flex plate. The 9 tooth starter would not mesh with it. The numbers I ran off the block came up 66 galaxie. And now that i've pulled the motor, the numbers on the flex plate come up 66 Galaxie also. According to the electronic web thing.
    I basically just want to know what flex plate will bolt to the crank, will take the torque converter I have and turn with a 2 bolt,9tooth cheese wedge starter?
    Cheers guys

7. squirrel

squirrel

Try the parts for a 1979 f150 with the 302 and C6. Flex plate , starter, block plate, torque converter.

Sent from my Trimline

8. A '66 Galaxie is very unlikely to have had a C6 behind a 289. There should be a casting number on the trans case, the first three letters/numbers will tell you the year and what it's out of.

9. squirrel

squirrel

They only used that transmission in a couple applications. 351c mustangs in the early 70s and trucks from the late 70s to 80s. And you still need a flex plate that fits the earlier engine and that transmission, etc. So don't go by the original application of the transmission.

Sent from my Trimline

10. The C6 didn't get used behind all 351Cs in cars, just the hi-po versions. Most used the FMX....