Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods For you guys wanting Washington blue

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by da34guy, Nov 28, 2019.

1. Had a little mishap on my 5 window a few months ago and had to spot it in. Spent over 2 hrs tryin to match the color. Seems the toners from when it was painted have changed. So called my good buddy with 1 of dem camera's to shoot it to do a match. The computer kicked out a factory color from GM of WA5376 Quasar Blue. I was kinda sceptical, but mixed up a pint and shot it. It was dead on nutz.
    Just thought it might help you guyz 2017 5 winder Dr Pepper 001.jpg 2017 5 winder Dr Pepper 001.jpg

2. Resized_20190215_013112_2793.jpeg Nice Deuce!
    Washington blue is a little darker than that I think.
    The previous owner said this was painted Washington blue

3. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

With old ford colors there’s about a zillion variations about what people “think” it should look it. At this point in time it’s all throwing darts at custom mixes and finding a color that is close.

Even then depending on what color the sealer underneath is it could look totally different.

I’ve been trying to find a good dutches blue and finally found a late model that’s pretty close and when we did spray outs did them over three different colored primer dealers and each sample looks noticeable different than the next.

Anyhow, to a lot of people the car shown is “a” Washington blue.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  4. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

I tought this was going to be political and be gone..... lol
    I like the blue on the 32 how about some pinstripes?

pitman and ct1932ford like this.

5. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Blacktop 150 June 13 2015 019.JPG Blacktop 150 June 13 2015 005.JPG All kinds of people tried to tell me my '47 was Washington Blue but it was in fact Barcelona Blue. Looked black except in bright sunlight, when it looked blue.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2019
  6. No pinstripe for me except on the wheels

7. Bigmac48

Bigmac48
    from Dundalk Md

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg Blushy thinks your is Washington black lol just kidding can't really tell by your pic and my 71 yr old eyes ? Anyway love the 32 regardless of color . When I bought my 40 the previous owner said he was trying to get close to Washington blue ,but after seeing several Washington blues I think the color on my 40 is a diff shade - brighter , then Washinton blue , anyway have a great Thanksgiving everyone you and your families , and God bless .

8. rusty valley

rusty valley

there is a thread over at the barn rite now discussing several washington blues. the 32 and the 40 above both look great

da34guy likes this.
  9. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

About a year ago I painted mine. Somewhere online I found a code for a 1934 Ford Washington Blue. Took it to my paint guy. This is what he came up with. Fenders/ aprons are black. In the right light I have to convince people it is blue. It is 79-84 Chrysler "Nightwatch Blue" IMG_0471.JPG

10. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

11. Resized_20190208_003844_1171.jpeg
    Here's a better angle.
    Truthfully, I like the color of the Deuce better.

12. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

Depending upon the toner in it its probably a color that gets darker the older the paint is on the car.

13. Me to! I was scared !

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

14. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Damn that's a sweet five window!!

chryslerfan55, Spooky and da34guy like this.
  15. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

16. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The white firewall against the blue is dreamy.

-Abone.

Blue One and Tim like this.
  17. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Blue
    It's easier to ask than go back through your thread, just curious what shade of primer you used under the blue top coat?
    Sure turned out nice!

18. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Thanks, I shot the usual grey epoxy and then grey high build.

19. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Thanks
    Not a painter but have always heard the undercoat (may) play a role in the final outcome of some paints/colors.
    I first heard this in the late 70's from a friend who was a painter and Porsche owner.
    He said their "Guards" red was so vibrant because they used a white primer.
    Just passing on what I remember being told.

20. Apparently Washington Blue comes in many hues. But that deuce coupe blue is spot on what I wanted to paint mine. That is the Washington Blue shade that I like.

chryslerfan55 and da34guy like this.
  21. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

That’s true, mostly because modern paint formulations sometimes have difficulties matching the old paint and colors.

If you look at a car from say 1936- 40 with the surviving original paint in Washington blue you will see that it’s considerably darker than the paint on the OP’s 5 window.

It’s a nice shade of blue but it’s really not dark enough to be considered a close match to the original Washington blue.

22. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

I started a whole thread on this (and I'm gonna link all of these photos over there), but it shows how different these cars can look depending on the angle of the light. The exact same car can look completely different depending on the light. Add to that the slight variations in the formulas used, and the color of the base coat prior to shooting the blue, and yeah, it's quite a spectrum of hues all called Washington Blue. All of them look great!

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...-blue-and-other-closely-related-hues.1107661/

23. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom