Register now to get rid of these ads!

for you guys running baron heads (8ba)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by paulie_boy13, Aug 11, 2005.

1. paulie_boy13

paulie_boy13
    from NC

did you have to run all long studs or will a regular stud kit (short and long) work?
    what did you do for radiator pipes?
    do i need to run an early style gasket ( i have an 8ba) and if so what water passage holes do i need to block off and how to i tell what direction the early style gaskets go?
    im waiting on the ups truck cant wait to get these heads i worked hard and saved awhile to get them.....any pics of your baron setups (especially 8ba) would be great cant seem to find much on google.......

2. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Why don't you talk to Tony Baron? He's very helpful to people using his equipment (818) 702-0043.

3. krooser

krooser

Hell...we can barely afford 8ba heads....

4. paulie_boy13

paulie_boy13
    from NC

thanks for the number 50 i already tried calling him ive been waiting on a call back i guess his other fulltime job/family keep him pretty busy

...lemmie set something straight here real quick though..i aint no rich kid ,fuck i aint even middle class i worked hard and saved for AWHILE for these heads..
    i figured all the fastest guys ive seen are running them they flow the best under other block mods WAY better than the 63 cc brocks' or offy's ( which are like hitting a brick wall go go go then at 4500rpm nothing..BAM..nada)..im only going to build this once ( hopefully) and really want to buid it as i dreamed it would be so its worth it to me to work and save for the parts i want i dont run billet and i can stick my hand through a rust spot in my quarters (working on the mechs first then the bod mods) this aint no shady spot lawn queen.......

so anyway i figured someone on here was running them ....

5. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Flattys don't rev anyway...heads alone aren't going to change that.

But to try & answer your question, I don't run Barons, but most of the aftermarket aluminum heads require long studs throughout & some require longer than stock studs - check with Baron when he gets back with you - best source.

6. AV8-Rider

AV8-Rider

paulieboy

several awailable flathead books point out the waterpassage you need to block out. I don't remember.
    If I'm not wrong Mike Bishop (AV8) also put it in his "A build up" book.
    Someone with a working scanner should be able to load up a pic here.

Design of radiator tubes/hoses depends on your vehicle off course.
    Search the net for pics of cars like yours. Or ask specific on here related to your car and engine installation.

What car do you have?

Flat Ernie is right about the revs.

A good tip before buying a lot of speed parts is to determine what kind of motor you actually want. An old adwise is to spend your money inside first. Then you can put on external goodies later.
    All boils down to you deciding how hot you want it in the end. It's good to have a plan so you don't go overkill on one hand and end up with restrictions killing it elsewhere on your engine.

I found some nice basic "naturelaw" info in the old book of Roger Huntington called
    "How to Hop Up Ford & Mercury V8 engines."
    It is reproduced and can be found easily.
    Basic info anno 1951. Still usefull today if you ask me.

Good luck and keep us posted on your engine progress.

Paul

Attached Files:

7. paulie_boy13

paulie_boy13
    from NC

talked to tony and FYI he said 4.25 by 5/8 thanks for all the replys though....

as far as the build up im eventually going to put 1.8(3?) intakes and 1.6 exhaust..i will do quite a few block mods to the intake runners and try to straighten out the exhaust as much as i can..4.25 crank schneider cam all that i got a plan going but i want to get all my ducks in a row here before i go all in i appreciate all the advise .....ill keep you up on the progress