Register now to get rid of these ads!

History For those who were there: Did I get the sound right?

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Scott F., May 17, 2015.

1. I am a hot rodder born and bread, no getting around it. I have played with inline 6s even 235s in my life. I am not a fan of them by any means but I can't say that I dislike them either. I have never liked the sound of a six with splits.

I have been around some really fast 6s (never a 235 I am afraid) and heard a few that would just make you shake in your boots. But just a stock six with loud exhaust is just not pleasant to me.

All that said I have nothing against the engine or even those guys who run 'em. They just remind me of a piper cub when they are not properly muffled. To be fair I don't like the sound of a stock low compression V-8 with straight pipes either they just soud like a john deer. ;)

2. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

It would be a boring world if everybody agreed on everything.

3. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

That was the correct sound of a split manifold on a Chevy 6 back in the late 50's and 60's. You got it right.

4. yea I still prefer Aboriginal American women to any of them.

(there that'll throw some of those south of Canada off).

5. Well, I must be a village idiot also. I'd say you nailed it! I split the stock manifold on my '63, 3 & 3 with 30" glasspacks. \'63 C10 #42.png

Attached Files:

Scott F. likes this.
  6. tambasher

tambasher

Nothing wrong with a 6. I'm hoping to be a village idiot some day.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2015
  7. Chavezk21

Chavezk21

The car in my avatar sounded like that back in the day, when it was my dad's. Had a 235 with 3/4 race came and offenhauser three one set up with a fenton split exhaust and 24" glass packs. I remember the distinct brrrapp that thing made.