Register now to get rid of these ads!

For the geeks: What iPad/iPhone apps do you use to build?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Probesport, Apr 19, 2012.

1. For those of us who are into modern gadgets, what apps do you use in your builds? I have a computer out the in shop but I tend to gravitate towards the iPad since I can bring it wherever I happen to be.

Here are a few that I find useful
    SimpleMind+ - This is a mind map software that I use to outline the overview of my build.

Penultimate - A simple sketchpad that I use for all sorts of drawings and diagrams. This also allows you to use a picture and then draw or write on top of it - very handy.

iEngineer - GREAT app for nuts and bolts, alot of useful info here

Clinometer HD - angle finder and level

And of course, TJJ to browse the forums to figure out what I've done wrong.

So, what am I missing? I would love to find a great app for doing electrical diagrams, currently I just sketch them out in Penultimate. What do you use?

2. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

all I need is a rock and a pointy stick, I don't need no stinking modern gadgets.

3. What web browser do you use with your pointy stick? :D

4. uponone

uponone

youtube how to videos...i couldnt live without em

5. tmfcracing

tmfcracing
    from Sweden

I see the ipad as a very handy tool in the shop while in need to get information.
    Thank you Probesport for your suggested apps .

6. telecaster_6

telecaster_6

iEngineer

Carpenter (angle finder)

7. Angry birds helps pass time

8. zep058

zep058

I use google docs and have a spreadsheet that has to do lists and project list and have an app called documents 2 that I can access at anytime I think of something no matter where I am, so I don't forget what I'm not supposed to forget. Will check out the mind mapping app, my mind needs some mapping.

9. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

I like the GPS speedometers for all kinds of purposes. "Dashboard" and "Speedometer" are both great.

"Jegs iStart" is a fun app to practice your drag race tree.

"Convert Units" is a good one for converting metric to english and vice versa in the shop.

"Mapquest" works great when traveling to events.

"Rest Area Finder" can be pretty useful in an emergency, if you know what I mean.

"Sit or Squat" can provide the same in more detail.

"Craigspro" is way better than Craigslist online and I use it to look for car parts, projects and tools while my wife watches TV.

"Autozone" is pretty handy for looking up car specific replacement parts and prices.

"Zillow" is a pretty cool app to scan for homes for sale in the area and dream about more land and a bigger shop.

"ScanLife" is pretty handy for scanning bar codes and those QR thingies. See mine below!

"5-0 Radio Free" police scanner can be interesting.

"Pandora" provides endless favorite music while hot rodding.

"Nest" controls my thermostat in the house.

Attached Files:

10. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I dial up the hamb on my iPod.

11. batt69nova

batt69nova
    from OR

I'm working on a cool piece of technology:

Once I have my flux capacitor all dialed in I'm heading back in time to get some parts...

12. afaulk

afaulk

Something I just have to ask Probesport. Exactly how does this relate to traditional hotrodding?

13. The same way the internet does.

14. '59Edsel

'59Edsel

I did a search and found "Part Tracker" haven't used it yet but it looks cool.

15. squirrel

squirrel

I don't have a smart phone...but I do send a few phone pics of car stuff I'm working on.

And I set up a ustream of overhauling my engine last summer....it was about as exciting to watch as paint drying...

16. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

InchCalc+ (calculates inches as a fraction, versus changing to a decimal)
    iConvert
    Carpenter
    FormulasFree

17. XXL__

XXL__

Yes, I did.

/nerd

18. That does look cool, I sort of do that with Penultimate but this is a bit more refined.

19. kevo

kevo
    from Keller, TX

only thing I use on mine that helps w/the building my car is the flashlight...

a thesaurus for curse words would come in handy too, the usual 4 letter favorites are getting old