Register now to get rid of these ads!

For Sale Classified Posters - Please Check For PM's

Discussion in 'Questions & Suggestions' started by lake_harley, Feb 8, 2018.

1. lake_harley

lake_harley

On more than one occasion I have started a conversation to contact someone who posted something for sale in the classifieds but didn't give any contact information. If you've posted "for sale" items and haven't checked for PM's, please do. No guarantee that I'd end up being a buyer, but if contact can be made it would certainly improve the chances of a sale.

Thanks

Lynn

2. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

3. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

I just have one suggestion too. If you post gauges, tachs, speedometer for sale could you please post a size. Especially the factory stuff. I've looked at several speedometers for sale but passed on them as I didn't know their diameter. For guys building custom dashboards it would really come in handy and be greatly appreciated ;)

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  4. lake_harley

lake_harley

And it continues.....just PM'd a seller again whose "bumps" are practically begging for someone to contact them but still no reply. I wish we could e-mail members directly (providing they approve of it), post a reply or ask questions directly on the ad like any other thread. I am practically computer illiterate so maybe there's some good reason things are set up the way they are. :(

Lynn

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Evidently they don't check their Email very often either as each time someone pm's me on here I get an email saying they did. That is usually the way I find out I had a pm as they don't have the little flag up in the corner saying we have one anymore. All you have to do is hover the curser over the envelope in the upper right corner of the page and it shows the last PM though.
    Still we are talking to the wind as 70 % of the sellers in the classifieds never come to the board at all.

6. ................................I get the e-mail alerts as well, but the little envelope should be RED if you have a new PM.:)

7. lake_harley

lake_harley

I get the e-mail alerts too, as well as the tag at the top showing RED when I have a new PM, or on the rare occasion that someone "likes" one of my posts.

Mr48chev.....You're probably right about many of the classifieds being from members that are mostly trying to sell something, and that's fine with me. In fact, I don't think the most recent non-responsive seller that has me frustrated has ever posted anything other than an intro and his classifieds.

Lynn

8. When selling I post my phone number with times to call and East Coast Time.
    People still P.M. me, call when I am at work or after I have been a sleep for two hours!
    But if they have money, Sold!!!!

9. Lynn, I don't buy from those guys.
    There's an ad for a GMC 474 sbc in classified as an example. Has one post.

10. ...........Yeah, agreed, be a little wary of those who only log on here to sell stuff.

11. Yep, that's a major PITA with me. You PM the seller, saying you'll take it, and get no response. Yes, the ad's still active. PM a day later, ask if the seller got the first PM; no answer. Next day the conehead finally answers with "it's sold". And the ad's still active.

12. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Shoot, I have a few items for sale and I check and no red anything. Bulb must be burnt out ;)

13. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Did you check his profile? If he is a new seller he may not know the ropes.
    I'll have to keep a closer watch for the red envelope now that I know that, that is my education for the day.
    I seldom ever check the classifieds even as entertainment. I have a self imposed moratorium on parts buying until I get the shop built though.

14. Not sure if the red envelope light-up (or not ) has anything to do with your settings. I've never (that I remember) changed any setting to get the "light-up". Mr48chev, I'll send you a PM. Let me know if your envelope indicates it by being red.

15. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

I’d like to see changes made that only allows posting for those with at least 1 month seniority.

16. A BIG AMEN..or even two months...

17. lake_harley

lake_harley

I heard back via PM from the one seller last evening. Maybe he read the forums and took note.

I think allowing replys to ads on the for sale forum would still be a great idea though.

Lynn

18. .......................Nope.

19. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's a horrible idea. It used to be that way back in the day. Every time someone responds to a classifieds ad, that ad gets "bumped" back up to the top of the list. When that happens ads very quickly move down the line and onto the second, third, fourth page etc. If you have a very desirable item that a lot of guys might be looking for it would not be uncommon to get a half dozen or dozen responses. Those dozen responses would move another dozen ads off the front page. Ryan instituted the current rules for ad posting just to get rid of that problem.

20. It was always the rule, but so many people abused it, Ryan had to re-do the software so only the OP could bump his/her own ad back up. It works just fine now.

wraymen likes this.
  21. I'm patiently watching my PM flag..... LOL. Don that crane would look great in the OT pick em up.