Register now to get rid of these ads!

History For Miles In Circles...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Apr 20, 2012.

1. grego31

grego31
    from Sac, CA

I'd give my left nut for one of those engines, or even the top end of those engines.
    Aw, screw it, you can have the right one too if it makes any difference.

Awesome pictures, thanks for sharing. Capture as much of the old timers stories and knowledge then keep spreading the gospel!!
    Amen!

2. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

those rite there are RACE CARS,true rolling art. sad day when ascot was shut down.thanks for posting

3. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

screw the race cars... haha... those trailers RULE.

Johnny cola and were coming up with some rad ideas regarding race car trailers on the way down to texas one time-

I would love to build a custom single axle... those trailer pics are neat to study-

4. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

Wonder why they had the small front wheels on the trailers? Looks like the would pull like shit... They look really cool though.

5. crook

crook
    from Winder,Ga

Awesomeness. Pics and pics and pics of awesomeness.

6. silent rick

silent rick

this is what the dayton special#77 car looks like today.

[​IMG]

7. catdad49

catdad49

Ryan,cool stuff!!! Let's see, the cars(four banger fever),the trailors,especially the one's with the small tandem wheels under the tongue, the tow vehicles, and some of the neat things in the background. Thanks, Cat

8. catdad49

catdad49

Thanks to Josh too! Would you pay to see these things race? Seasons tickets for me, Cat

9. Hemiman 426

Hemiman 426
    from Tulsa, Ok.

I can remember going to Latrobe Speedway and Bedford fairgrounds to watch the Offy powered cars running back in the lat 50's/ early 60's. Nothing like sweet sound of an Offy at full throttle!

10. Zeke

Zeke

Spent many a day watching sprint cars on the Springfield mile track... Brings back some fond memories of my Dad.

11. weez

weez

Josh is the other most interesting man in the world, I'm not sure if he's wrestled sharks or climbed Everest, but I think he's done everything else!

12. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

How long did the wheelbases get on the longest big cars? The reason I ask is that I am using an inline six w/ auto trans on my replica big car and the wheelbases on some of these cars look every bit as long as the 112" wheelbase I will use.

13. 4-port Riley

4-port Riley

Great pix, thanks for posting. You are right about simplicity in the old days. A good friend of mine, Paul Cantarano, built an Indy car for the 1950 race. It was powered by a WMD, forerunner of the Wayne Chevy. It was running speeds that would have easily put him in the race but pre-race magnafluxing found a crack in the stroker crank and he was forced to replace it with a stock crank which cut down his cubic inches, and made the car an alternate. Paul says it is still the fastest unblown inline 6 to ever run Indy. I think it was running in the mid 120's?

14. Thanks for posting.....love them Champ Cars and the single axle trailers!

15. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

For any of you guys above who aren't sub'd to the oval track threads here, you might want to know that USAC still races Silver Crown cars at some of the big old "State Fair" mile dirt tracks in the Midwest - Indy, Springfield and Duquoin. And there are probably a few others still going, too. But the haulers and trailers are not quite as unique. Gary

https://www.usacracing.com/silvercrown_index/news_sc/5125.html

Last edited: Apr 22, 2012
  16. racer67x

racer67x

my first trailer was like that..small airplane wheels that turned on the front,kinda scary but it worked.
    for the "why" part..the hitch that attached to the ball was on pins..no tongue weight.
    great pics thanks!
    :)

17. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

W/B on the USAC champ cars is around 96". The longest w/b on a open wheel car, that I'm aware of, was the 100" supers that were popular in the southwest some years ago.

18. sled56

sled56

Great pics, there,s a resurgance of vintage speedway here in South Australia, I know of a few offy powered cars in town but rarely do they see action. Would love to get hold of one but the prices are way up there, they call vintage races Spirited Demonstrations, Ha Ha, bloody full on warfare, those old guys still have it.

19. Bobert

Bobert
    Member Emeritus

Great pictures from the past. Many look like every rainout I ever attended. Can almost feel walking in the mud.

20. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Thanks for the kind words fella's. Glad you enjoyed them.

Upon studying the pictures closely my dad and I found a REALLY cool "aspect" of one of the pictures.

The 24th picture of the White 98 Champ car.. shows an Ivory Colored Box on the trailer between the Trailer wheel and the car. You can only see half the words on it but it reads:

"Agajanian Enterprises"

How do I know what it reads?? Because I have THAT box!! NOT one like it.. I found, and have that exact box!

I bought a batch of Offy Spark plugs off of a guy one time, and when he brought them, he said "By the way, you'll probably like the box they are in too"

Well, YES! I did!!! :eek:

It was super cool seeing our old "Aggy box" in use, in it's element!

Thanks!

J Shaw

Attached Files:

21. striper

striper

So did the guy with the box bring you the car too?

That is a cool bit of history to own, especially seeing it in its native environment.

22. Sweetness....pure and simple. Middle class people could still race at a fairly high level back then.

I'm especially drawn to the trailers. My ultimate goal is to build an 29 on deuce rails and haul it with my 54 tudor on a small trailer like the ones in these photos. It's been years since I've seen one of these simple, single axle trailers. I think I'm gonna have to build one.

23. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Of all the trailers we have owned, or own now (Open and enclosed) for transporting cars...

This litlle open trailer is EVERYONES favorite. It pulls the best, looks the best and is SO easy to deal with. I go through drive throughs with it regularly! :D

J Shaw

Attached Files:

24. silverdome

silverdome

This story reminds me of my uncle Byron Robertson who used to build these cars and they raced at I-70 speedway and a whole bunch of others in and around Missouri.

He also had a '64 Nova SS with a 327 4 bbl. that was white with red interior and was fast.

25. moonman29

moonman29

Man those are great pictures. I love watching old sprint cars. thanks for the post.

26. Amazing....really amazing. You gotta love making a discovery like that.

27. First of the full cages... Bolt-On!

This is AWESOME

[​IMG]

28. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Amazing. I had one like that a few months back. A friend sent me photos of a race car I crewed for back in 1974... and I was in the photo! Perhaps more creepy than the box, but it did strain the brain awhile.

Now, back to your regularly scheduled thread. Gary

29. haroldd1963

haroldd1963
    from Peru, IL

Is that Lil Al Unser posing in front of the Blue #2 Car? If so...he is in the background against the wall in the picture of the white/red #87.