Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical ? for kustom paint guru's

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mcmopar, Mar 27, 2016.

1. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

I am getting ready to paint my daughters car. It is her first nice car and wants something special in the paint. When I did my bike I did some ghost stuff on it. That wasn't a problem since I was using metallic and kandy colors. She wants her car black, and I have no idea how to paint ghost stuff on a solid black, so looking for ideas.
    I am using Dupont products.
    Tony

2. 54fierro

54fierro
    from san diego

Not a paint guru by any means but I have seen ghost patterns over black done with ice pearl. Just an idea throwing it out there.
    Of course when I'm looking for a pic can't find anything when I googled it just now.
    When the paint gurus wake up hopefully they'll have more to offer. Cesar

3. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Any kind of "interference" or flip flop pearl will look good over black. Not the "color pearls". Just do a test piece first, as it's easy to mix it up too strong, or too weak, and you won't get a true ghost effect.

4. oldolds

oldolds

You could do the ghost part with metallic black. You could pick the color of metallic added to the color to shadow your design. Just get the metallic separate at your paint store and add as desired

5. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

Thanks for the ideas, I should mention that it is a B/C paint.

6. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Touchy topic. You're looking to do art and that's very subjective. But that out of the way the use of another finish will be dependent heavily on design. Now that we have that in there as well here's what I did once. They wanted tribal ghost flames on black. I used a mix of silver and white pearl powder in some thinned out clear and applied the design, then I sprayed a thin clear over that to lock it down. After that some transparent black was used to subdue anything that was too bright for my eye. At the end it was pretty kool. It faded in and out as you walked around the car, just what I wanted. The transparent black will work on anything, and make your own with either solvent or "base maker" clear base. I like solvent, instant gratification...