Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures For "American Graffitti" Fans

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by denis4x4, Sep 23, 2015.

1. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

2. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

Wow, from what I've read about the car it was always a driver type, nothing special car other than the movie, if that holds that is a hell of an investment

3. ahshoe

ahshoe

Just saw the movie at our local outdoor drive in last week in my '32. Always wanted to do that.
    I would be more interested in where the Pharoah's Merc went to.

Doctorterry likes this.
  4. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

stupid money for that car. but, to a big bucks collector to boast that he owns it money well spent.

5. jeta12

jeta12

Nice ....But without the movie drivetrain I don't see it going that much. I have been known to be wrong!!
    A Lot:)

6. butch27

butch27

I saw a "Ameracarna" segment where Ray Evernham bought it. ??

7. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

that's crazy money, wonder what the coupe would sell for? the guy should have sold it in 2008 before the shit hit the fan. probably would have sold for more.

8. He didn't buy he was trying and was told it could be going up for sale in the future he did get to drive it that would be cool for me.

9. oldolds

oldolds

A million for the '58 Chevy! I wonder how much the T-bird would be worth? At least Suzanne Sommers sat in it.

51 BIRD likes this.
  10. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Yeah, crazy money for sure.

11. traffic61

traffic61
    from Owasso, OK

For that much, it had better come with a Three Musketeers, and a ball point pen, and one of those combs there, a pint of Old Harper, a couple of flash light batteries and some beef jerky.

12. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

A LT motor instead of the 348. Dumb.

Atwater Mike likes this.
  13. 40 & 61 Fords

40 & 61 Fords

If the 58 even gets close to that kind of money, what would the coupe go for!?!?!?!
    I think it will be LUCKY to break $200,000 even with the history.
    BTW, The original engine/trans are with it.

14. 2935ford

2935ford

Because it can!

15. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

Well said sir Traffic61

16. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

And a date at Mel's with Candy Clark complete with a Double Chubby Chuck a Mexicali chili bar and two cherry cokes with ice.

For her senior project his daughter put in a 348 Tri power.

rrbrucea and traffic61 like this.
  17. Artical said Mikes daughter put a 348 back in the car, or did I read it wrong.
    Guy has made a very smart investment, good on him.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2015
    falcongeorge likes this.
  18. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

I retract my comment. Smart

19. falcongeorge likes this.
  20. Very optimistic IMO.

21. Graffiti32

Graffiti32
    from Illinois

"Lots Of Ice"

traffic61 likes this.
  22. Graffiti32

Graffiti32
    from Illinois

All I know is the Impala would look great here in Chicago sitting in Lucas' new muesum!!!! Just a thought.

23. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

At the end of the day it's a 58 Impala that was given a mild custom treatment. "Star of the show" creds would clearly go more toward the Deuce and the 55. $800K is beyond optimistic in my view, it's a desire for a moonshot on something that I think very few would "feel". Sure, ' Graffiti is one of those films that a small community like ours can relate to a bit more than the average car guy/girl but I don't think it's so iconic that one of the prop cars would tip the money scale so far. The "Falfa/Blacktop" 55 brought just under $160K all in at a Barrett-Jackson sale. Returned to it's incredibly bitchin street racer look as seen in "Blacktop" and documented as the real deal, I think the few who really wanted it knew when to quit. Such a price is perhaps 3 times the value of such were it to be duplicated on a donor car, so by that thinking I'd guess the 58 stops at something in the $180-200K range, all in. Yes, this is my own personal opinion and not meant to expel flatulence on 'Graffiti.

24. What an investment......from under 400 dollars to hopes of a million...and gonna say it..... The thing at least needs pinner whites!

25. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Id' never shell that much out for it.
    But, I've always wondered why there arent more clones of it around.
    I hope I don't get banned for saying..... But I like that 58 more than Milner'd Deuce

falcongeorge likes this.
  26. The only thing cool about the Milner coupe is that it is good for picking up under age teenie boppers. :rolleyes:

I actually saw part of the movie the other day, this will make me an outcast for sure but it is not one of my favorite movies off all time. I will give the movie this the cars were pretty much normal cars and none of them were really majic like most movies with cars as part of the central theme.

All that said, the '58 was pretty cool and I and I have always wondered why it hasn't been cloaned more than it has either. my only guess is that like Fords and most other American makes the '58 has never been popular.

On a side note someone asked about the pharos merc, I have heard a of a few who claim to own it, but I have also heard from a man with credibility (in my eyes) as a Hollywood insider that it went to the crusher. Who really knows?

27. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

The shocking part for me is that he bought it for "Less than $325.00 originally" ! Where was I went the studio was having trouble selling all the Graffiti cars ???? :(:(:(

Don

28. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

The guy that bought that car bought before the movie came out. Just a young car guy with no money who responded to a want ad for a 348 '58 Impala, he didn't even know what movie it was in, and NO ONE knew it was going to be such a huge hit. And when he bought it, no-one, including most of the guys on this forum wanted those cars very much. Its all in one of Pat Ganahls books, and imo, one of the best "little guy car stories" in either of the two "Lost Hot Rods" books. I agree, probably optimistic, but frankly, I hope he rapes some rich dilettante for TWO million!
    Major kudos to the guy, its great to see a car guy strike oil, IMO.

brad2v likes this.
  29. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

He bought it before the movie came out.;)