Register now to get rid of these ads!

For ALL You FNG's...How'd You Find The HAMB?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by krooser, Jan 28, 2009.

1. Hotrodhell35

Hotrodhell35

Google image search I think....looking up ideas for my rpu.

2. rmak

rmak
    from Ohio

A guy and I were arguing on a British motorcycle site about the term "rat rod". He said to look here for real hot rods.

3. DavidL

DavidL

I typed in "cool" in google and it brought me to the HAMB.

4. Don't even remember anymore, been a member for 5 years, and still a FNG (only made 12 posts). Hmm... I lurk constantly, just don't have a lot to say, I guess.

5. LameExcuse

LameExcuse
    from Renton, WA

I used to have a 1967 Ford Mustang that I did a restomod on. I saved the car from the junk yard when I bought it for $1000.00. I sold it for $20,000.00 6 years later when my son was born. I really enjoyed working on it. Once it was gone I found I had a big hole in my garage and my time that I needed to fill.

As with most people I work full time and live paycheck to paycheck. But I love old cars. So if I can't afford a nice ride than I decided I would just make it myself. If I can't afford the parts than I will make them. If I can't make the parts then I will find broken ones and fix them. To me cheap doesn't mean useless or substandard, it just needs some attention. So I found a really good deal on a 1948 Chevy Fleetline Aerosedan. I fell in love with smooth sweeping lines of the car and bought it.

Well it turns out that cars from the 40's are significantly different than cars from the late 60's. I found that I didn't know near as much about cars as I thought I did. I kept calling a friend of mine at work who is familiar with vintage automobiles. Finally he got tired of giving me advice and told me about the HAMB. Whenever I run into something I don't know I look for it on here. I have found it to be better than any manual I have.

I only post when I feel that I can contribute something to the discussion or the board. Or if I have run into a dead end and can't find the answer to whatever my problem is.

Lurking is Educating!!!

6. smoked1

smoked1

Tryin to find a 235 cyl head,typed it in google and POOF! H.A.M.B. came up and Ill be damned found me a head through a H.A.M.B.er! I will be joining shortly. carry on!

7. flthd

flthd

My buddy at the Valpo cruise night told me about it. Man, this is great, I thought I was the only one who thought there was cool shit in "junk"yards:)

8. SoCal

SoCal

I've lurked on and off for many years, but didn't have the knowledge to contribute anything worthwhile! Only signed up recently as I take lots of video and photos from NZ events and though some people might want to see them.
    I'll stick around, though more often reading, looking at pics and probably drooling a little.
    Cal

9. poveryflats

poveryflats
    from idaho

I came over from the old fordbarn and changed my user name. Just how long do I have to have the FNG name? I have been a rodder for over 40 years and don't feel like FNG.

10. hoodprop

hoodprop

found by looking for info on my car

11. 31' A Bone

31' A Bone
    from So Cal

I was using google alot looking up info for tranny,s and brake assemblies and H.A.M.B. threads kept coming up in my search. So I started looking in to the H.A.M.B. and signed up.

I will stay active for agong time.

12. skiviskaves

skiviskaves

I thought this would be a fitting thread for my 50th post. A friend of mine recommended the site...based on the cars that really turn me on he couldn't believe that I had never heard of it, and when I checked it out niether could I. There is more valuable information about real hot rods here than anywhere, period. I'm hooked.

13. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

I kinda miss the old days when a FNG had to just shut up and listen for a while. Or get bitch slapped like a red headed step kid. I just got in on the tail end of that back in 04. Funny thing is now there is always some simpering wussies sniveling on other boards about getting roughed up a little over here. They have no idea.

14. SUCIO

SUCIO

I was recommended by few hot rod buddies.

15. barry2952

barry2952

I didn't think you guys were so bad. I kind of expected to take some heat over my totally stock cars, but I guess I cut up enough of my other ones to offset my desire for unblemished originals.

I've found people here to be very helpful.

16. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Stuart in Mn told me about it while on the Pontiac Year's forum. Thanks, Stuart!

17. thumpr

thumpr

I was diggin a water line in my neighbors back yard and found a hemi crankshaft buried about 6 feet down (yeh I know thats 1 deep waterline) any way "F" is the 6th letter in the alphabet . Friend starts with "F" so I asked a frind what was kuwl on the internet and he told me about HAMB.

18. Just graduated from being a FNG to Newbie, I think I changed when I finally realised what FNG stood for! :) Should be FDA

I recently purchased an old car and was looking for info on era/traditional intake set ups. Came across this site while Googling and have been hooked since. I read the intro, didnt get scared off,..for long, fucked up my first post, apologised and understood why some here are COB's (cranky old bastards) hope to one day contribute something to pay back those who have been kind enough to provide me with invaluable advice.

Think this site is awesome, and if I spent as much time working on my car as I spent looking on this site would have probably finished three cars by now!

19. KSLeadslinger

KSLeadslinger

I had a couple of friends always talking about it a few years back, I got on and poked around and lured off and on then took the plunge about a year ago. My wife tells me I spend too much time on here, seems to me its just a bunch of car guys talking shop...love it!!

20. 32Gnu

32Gnu

Deuce Roadster sent me...

21. Tripple G

Tripple G

Had seen the H.A.M.B. decal/sticker on other Hot Rod windshields & firewalls, but never really checked into it, until a fellow rodder suggested I participate. Good advice!:)

22. low merc51

low merc51

I have several friends that are HAMBER'S and I finally registered a while ago!!! I have enjoyed it quiet alot over the last week or so !!!! Totaly enjoy the true HotRods here and not the R word cars!!! I consider myself a true craftsman and take lots of pride in the custom work I do,, R word or not some of that stuff is just JUNK!!!!

23. Z5R

Z5R

I blame 'I Be Moose' he posted the link on Allmetalshaping been there a few months working on a Cobra scratch build, not slapped a piece of metal yet, anyway wanted to see more of his build, so I'm here.

Slowly finding my way round, has anybody done a scratch build Model A, I like the idea, have to be ally though.

24. cowboyinachair

cowboyinachair
    from colorado

link was in a craigslist ad and i love all cars so why not stay around

25. Patdoody

Patdoody

A local buddy of mine found out I was searching out a model a project and pointed me over here. I have been off and on again posting for a little bit now I guess.

26. Tommy454

Tommy454

Hanging around the shop after hours, B.S session with the "All Knowing; Great And Powerful Joe Racemaster" when all of a sudden The HAMB rolled off his lips ...:rolleyes:

27. ChekrdPast

ChekrdPast

I read an article in a magazine who's name some don't really like mentioned on this forum. It was talking about there being better sources for vintage parts than places like the major corporate auction site we don't like around here. The Jalopy Journal and the HAMB was mentioned. So I went home, signed up and less than a week later found a mint '53 Merc M-100 grille with teeth for my '55 Ford Panel project I bought from an absolute class act HAMBer not to mention a ton of quality info and I've been needing 2-3 HAMB hits a day ever since...

28. John52

John52
    from SW Mi

I found the HAMB using Google and glad I did. I plan on sticking around

29. dvzdeathtrap

dvzdeathtrap
    from austin, tx

i found the HAMB through my boss. he is a hot rod gear head. I'm not just passing through. I'll be on for a while. i'm always choppin' and weldin' -DVZ

30. Steve51

Steve51

My wife bought a 51 Ford F1 and appointed me pit crew chief. So, I rattled around the internet to look for parts and the H.A.M.B kept popping up. Lookin' for parts, readin' the rants, and livin' the dream. What more could you want?