Register now to get rid of these ads!

Foolin' with 4 Jugs...The April 2012 Banger Meet

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Crazydaddyo, Apr 1, 2012.

1. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I certainly respect and am grateful for the experience and knowledge available here. However I did just look at the Airoquipt home page and I saw that the rubber hose with SS covering was rated at up to 300 Degrees F. The Teflon was rated at 450 degrees F. Maybe I just don't understand whats going on. A link to something that would explain this would be much appreciated. I would have liked larger lines between the oil manifold and the mains. But I have to live with some compromises using this Dodge Bros engine. The 32 Plymouth was much easier to work with. Still each one of the 5 mains has it's own dedicated -4 feed from a -10 line. So until the engine is out and apart again that is the deal. Hopefully when it comes apart it will be at home and on purpose

2. BHT8BALL

BHT8BALL

I really admire your innovative carb linkage, probably necessary when driving on the wrong side. I know you mentioned installing a '32 grille shell in the past but it sure is distinctive and handsome the way it is. Keep the faith!, Pat
    P.S. here is a pic of Dan's RPU from approx. 1973.

Attached Files:

3. So here's the deal, I know I have a serious crankshaft problem. My choices are a new Scat stock but drilled approx $1700 cause they have 8.25 tax in Redondo beach A scat 4.5 stroke $ 2160 probably. I'm not including shipping. Heard nothing back from Dan Eubanks after original call.
    Went to my storage and found a set of RPM Al rods. They are about 8 oz. heavier than a stock rod. When Bob made these A rods he used the same blank as the B rods. Had to clear the pan just like a B. Might as well run stock.
    See where Snyder's are selling a 4140 A inserted rod. Proprietary flanged inserts I think they said 4140. Set around $435 including inserts, not bad. Same as Skokie rods, locate on machined bolt for alignment.
    The REM rods are set up to use a Chevy piston and they have a new set of J and E 4" pistons and rings on them.
    Decisions Decisions Decisions Another project!

4. RussTee

RussTee

The carbs are Holden what we have down here in Australasia adjustable and non leakers.

5. This came from a friend via the internet and I found it interesting. Maybe you will aswell.
    Ron

Subject: Home brew

Machinist's Workshop Mag (tm)recently published some information on
    various penetrating oils that I found very interesting. Some of you might
    appreciate this. the magazine reports they tested penetrants for break out
    torque on rusted nuts.
    They are below, as forwarded by an ex-student and professional
    machinist.

They arranged a subjective test of all the popular penetrants
    with the control being the torque required to remove the nut from
    a "scientifically rusted" environment.

*Penetrating oil .......... Average load*
    None ........................... 516 pounds
    WD-40 ..................... ... 238 pounds
    PB Blaster .................... 214 pounds
    Liquid Wrench ............... 127 pounds
    Kano Kroil .................... 106 pounds
    ATF-Acetone mix...............53 pounds

The ATF-Acetone mix was a "home brew" mix of 50 - 50 automatic
    transmission fluid and acetone. Note the "home brew" was better
    than any commercial product in this one particular test.

Our local machinist group mixed up a batch and we all now use
    it with equally good results.

Note also that "Liquid Wrench" is almost as good as "Kroil" for
    about 20% of the price.

6. youngster

youngster
    Member Emeritus
    from Minnesota

Thanks for the post Hapydz.

Ron

7. coolbreeze1340

coolbreeze1340
    from Indiana

I played with four jugs once, then the wife caught me and filed for a divorce. OOPS, WRONG JUGS......

8. 1928Fordman

1928Fordman

Hey guys. I just bought this Thomas head today. Just wondering if anyone knows the correct spark plug size, combustion ratio, and date of manufacture. Any help would be appreciated.

IMG_0129.jpg IMG_0128.jpg
    IMG_0130.jpg

9. TV

TV

That is an older repop and they made them in 6-1 and 7-1. I can't tell what you have but either works quite well. Check the cc's and I can tell you what you have.--TV PS After looking better I'm guessing you have somewhere between 6-1 and 7-1 because your head has been surfaced, you can tell by the uncleaned areas on the gasket surface.--TV

10. donrodin

donrodin

Well I havent posted in a while but I am selling some banger stuff, I have a little collection going but the parts I have arent the parts I need to finish my coupe. And if someone can put these parts to good use I would rather see them on the road, salt, or track than on my garage shelf. And my coupe has been out of commission since last June...... need I say more?

Thanks, Don

Super Winfield head casting No. 1 (8:1 comp.)
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?p=7664243#post7664243

Polished finned B valve cover, older not repop
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?p=7664271#post7664271

Never used Lion Speed head
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=688587&highlight=lion+speed+head

also have a diamond 'B' block with unbalanced crank....$300

11. NORSON

NORSON

could anyone tell me what the displacement limits are for these 4 cyl. "classic" classes. I thought it had been covered but I can't find it. Thanks in advance.
    Norm

12. Life is good, I finally had the chance to get the girdle bolted up and bored for the crank.

It came out nice and straight without any chatter.

J

Attached Files:

13. Tor

Tor
    from Norway

When i assembled my 4 banger Ford engine today i forgot to put in the metal front oil slinger on the crankshaft. I used a 1-Piece Front Crank Oil Seal made of rubber instead of the original ropes. I am wondering if its worth to remove the oil pan and timing cover again to get it in there. Or is it just fine with some extra oil on the new modern style seal?

14. ebtm3

ebtm3

Tor-
    My gut feeling is that you will be OK without the slinger, as long as you do not have pressure to the mains. Chevy fours didn't have a slinger OR a seal in the front.

Johnneilson-

Good to see that someone else line bores in a Bridgeport!

Herb

15. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

For the SCTA it's 220 inches. But that is easy to find in the rule book so I am not sure what limits you are referring to.

16. fordrat31

fordrat31
    from Palmer, MA

Might want to check into this a bit more. I have and from what I read ATF and acetone don't mix well. Seems like more guys say this doesn't work than do.

17. NORSON

NORSON

Can an engine be de-stroked or sleeved to "make the class"? Norm

18. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

My current Dodge Bros. engine is destroked to make class. Any engine that meets the pre 1935 American made automobile.four cylinder can be bored or stroked or whatever to meet class. Do you have a rule book. This and many other questions can be answered very quickly by reading the rules. Note the use of Automobile four cylinder. Not truck. What engine do you have in mind?

19. NORSON

NORSON

Rich
    Thanks for the reply. I do have the book, but didn't look hard enough for the information (I have now). I would have had to ask the "de-stroke" question anyway. I haven't actually got a motor at this point so it's to soon to say. I may just be adding to my junk pile. Norm

20. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I have seen 4 engines run in V4. Ford, Chevy, Dodge and Plymouth. All of which I have owned at one time or another. If you bore a Dodge Bros. .125 oversize you will need to destroke it to 4.350. None of the others have any problem staying under 220 inches. I ask again what you are mulling over? One person tried to get a Hercules engine accepted for the class, but was shot down since it wasn't an automobile engine.

21. NORSON

NORSON

Found this at the Portland swap meet this weekend. The mag didn't come with it and it just sitting there for effect. The oil pump is different than the S/G car but the mounting flange looks the same. It could be a later model Jewett.

Attached Files:

22. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

A quick picture of the header for the Dodge Bros. Getting close.

Attached Files:

23. Michael_e

Michael_e

How are you attaching the two new main bearing supports/webs to the block?

24. My friend said that a four cylinder Nissan engine, about an 82, has two spark plugs per jug. Has anybody used one of these distributors on a model "A" engine? I would be interesting to see one if they exist.

25. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

The people that run the dual plug "Lions Head" that C Yapp makes use them.
    Datsun distributor, model # 80-43509-22100N-9600 this was installed on the 82-84 Datsun pickups.

Sorry, no pictures

26. I like your signature. I use it every time Joyce needs something fixed.

Thanks for the reply

27. S O S S volume 12 #1 pages 8-13 has some info on dual plug distributors.

28. zenndog

zenndog
    from Santa Cruz

When you hang out with the wrong kind of people you can get into all kinds of trouble

Or maybe when you hang out with the right kind of people you can get into trouble

Trouble might look like this, maybe it is not trouble at all?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I heard tell that something like this is a bolt on....well sort of

[​IMG]

Just California day dreaming.....

Last edited: Apr 15, 2012
  29. And who's head is that :)?

30. i WOULD LIKE TO KNOW MORE ABOUT THE ENGINE AND THE HEAD.