Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Fonti's KohlerKustom built 32 3w Coupe

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by thunderbirdesq, Feb 14, 2015.

1. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

No problem Peter, it's what I love to do!

2. mcbay

mcbay

Andy looking good, Man this is coming together fast...do you get any sleep ?

thunderbirdesq likes this.
  3. PINEAPPLE

PINEAPPLE

Great stuff ! Going to enjoy this.

4. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Thanks boys! I knocked some tin around today and cranked out some door bottoms and inner skins and got them welded in, still a few lumps to tap out but they look good and fit great... gonna skin 'em tmw.... now it's getting exciting!

[​IMG]

This body did not come with a dash... I've always loved the look of the dash in the McGee/Scritch roadster. I think I've got Peter convinced to let me build a similar asymmetrical dash for this 3w. It will be removable so if he really hates it he can swap it out, hahaha! I'm thinking a 5k tach, police special speedo and a few other 2 5/8" gauges to round it out. Probably a one-off aluminum or stainless panel to house them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

sko_ford and ynottayblock like this.
  5. fonti

fonti

now I'm really curious what all those HAMBers comment to this race car dash - in the traditional hot rod section!!

6. Jonneville

Jonneville
    from NY and UK

Excellent idea on the dash, Andy - I've always wondered why that McGee dash isn't borrowed more often. I'd just go for a 5" tach and forget the speedo. I think I have a spare aircraft fuel pressure gauge kicking around in my stash if Peter needs one (bottom left in the McGee dash). It'll be in my cupboard in the shop in Greenfield.

Peter - you gonna be driving this with us to Speedweek in August?

Regards

Jon'.

7. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

Go for the dash! I've used it for inspiration a couple times.

8. 53woody

53woody

Andy Great to have you back on the HAMB. Your build threads are the best!!!!! Bruce

9. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

We are one day of aligning. tweaking. and bumping away from chopping this roof. REALLY happy with the fit and install on the door skins!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  10. Looking good....I wonder when you sleep.....

11. fonti

fonti

Hey Jon, thanks for the aircraft fuel pressure!! Will work out "a deal"... I need a speedo for our dmv, besides other things i would not install in the ride!

Won't make it out to the salt this year... Gotta have a break for different reasons! but I'm sure there is a next time and this coupe really should taste the salt...

12. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Since it seems that anything metal is possible, why not incorporate a more or less stock looking glove box into the new dash? You could tweak the flow of the bottom edge of the dash to best work with the glove box plan and it would further confuse the folks about just "where?!?!" did he get that dash?
    Two cents... maybe three.
    Keep workin'
    Al

13. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Hahaha Dammit Al! That was gonna be a surprise! I'm not kidding!

sko_ford likes this.
  14. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Great minds!! More likely just dumb luck!
    Sorry to blow the surprise... I'm sure there will be a little special tweak or wrinkle here or there that will still make it a masterpiece and a great hit.
    Keep workin'
    Al

15. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

That floor really came out nice, and I'm with you, asymmetrical dash sounds like a perfect addition to this car. I like how they executed in Mumford's T as well.

16. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

just for shits and giggles... totally build the car and chop it last...would really like to see the stance of this coupe sitting outside with no chop...hmm?

17. LOVE the dash ideas Andy & Peter!

18. Sundown Kid

Sundown Kid

Amazing work! Subscribed

19. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

biff! boom! POW!
    [​IMG]

rob lee likes this.
  20. Andy, Going to have to get the wife to buy you a new camera......
    Really like what you are doing to this thing...

21. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Ha! Thanks Dennis! the one on my crappy phone is all I've got... I already destroyed the hand-me-down camera she gave me. I think I'm off the recipient list for future cameras, haha!

It's cut, but nothing is attached yet, I've got some repair work to do in the header area that will be easier to accomplish with the roof off. Gonna get that taken care of and start stitching things back together tomorrow. With some strategic measuring and cutting we were able to square up the roof perfectly, correcting the misalignment that was present from the "coupester attempt". A pillars are getting laid back...

22. Everything sounds good to me...Did you get a header panel cover with this car?

23. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

We do not have a header cover Dennis, got one?

Well, I've got a killer head cold that's kinda slowing me down but I did manage to get the header area repaired today. It was the only area that was a bit of a surprise after blasting. It would have been perfect had rodents not build a nest in the header.... little bastards...

[​IMG]

New inner structure bent up on the brake...

[​IMG]
    Inner patch and new outer installed... wish I would snapped a few of making this piece. Cold meds are controlling my brain! Just a few really small repairs to make on the inner drip rails where they get nailed to the wood and we're ready to proceed with the rest of the chop!
    [​IMG]

24. DAM! That is some killer work......Very hard to pull off. Very hard parts to make. But looks like ya done it. No I don't have the inter header cover. That is why I ask you. If you make one for it....what's the chance of making 2 ????
    As I would like to have one.

25. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

I'll have to see if I can round one up to copy, I'll let ya know... Maybe there's a spare floating around up in bonerville I can borrow?

26. THANK'S bud......Ya never know what those boys have laying around.

27. -Brent-

-Brent-

Of course, I am an IG lurker of yours but it's cool to see in thread form.

You do need a camera, though. :D At the very least clean off that lens! Haha. Superb work, man, as always.

28. Love it Andrew!

29. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

This showed up from Rodsville... I love their qc's great quality, made in the usa and an absolute bargain too! Highly reccomended, and besides a vintage v8 unit, really the only choice for a traditional hot rod, in my opinion.

[​IMG]

Fixing a few pin-holey, rusty spots in the door headers, this is the last of the repairs to the roof before we get back to finishing up the chop.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More of the same, you can see what I cut out laying on the roof there. That's it, she's gettin sewn up tomorrow! Finish the chop, a couple other small repairs to do elsewhere on the body and we're just about done with the metalwork, aside from the real rollpan but I'm gonna tackle that one with the body off the frame.

[​IMG]

30. Andy, Do you set up your own quick changes? I am looking for someone to do mine.