Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Fog Lights

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by buford36, Jan 9, 2020.

1. buford36

buford36
    from Maine

I seem to have noticed lately, Hot Rods sporting a single fog lamp. I know that 2 was the norm.
    Is using just one a new thing or have I just been not paying attention? Tom...

dana barlow likes this.
  2. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

I have one with two (wired to serve as signal lights) and one with one (set to be on the side opposite the horn for “balance”).

BF9288D2-6825-4ABB-B990-14EB4F185806.jpeg 6EB46D26-B8AA-4223-8833-9938C837211E.jpeg

3. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

^^^^Sweet truck!

AVater likes this.
  4. There are more than a dozen threads on this subject that are easy enough to find with a topical search. Here's one older thread....... https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/one-yellow-fog-light.486234/

Personally I think the original, single fog lights were because the owners were frugal or outright stingy and didn't want to cough up the cash for the second one. Nowadays, that single set-up has grown a reputation as being a traditional look so it is emulated often. Plus it's 10x easier to score a nice single at a swap meet than a pair.

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev

Had a pair on my 48 back in the mid 70's and the holes are still in the splash pan. I'd say that just like that grill guard on AVater's pickup they are an add on that is also quite functional and just not a stuck on add on. I really like that whole look on that truck.

41 GMC K-18 and AVater like this.
  6. rusty valley

rusty valley

in the 30's the generator would barely power the headlights, much less two fog too, so one was common. cheaper too

lothiandon1940 and AVater like this.
  7. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2020-4-15_4-13-39.png
    Driving in Fog or Heavy Smoke
    The light from the high-beam headlights will reflect back and cause glare. Never drive with just your parking or fog lights. Increase your following distance and be prepared to stop within the space you can see ahead. Avoid crossing or passing lanes of traffic unless absolutely necessary.

www.dmv.ca.gov

Hello,

With the recent rains dissipating, we had some heavy fog rolling in from the ocean. It was "eerie," as fog always plays tricks on the old eyes. Lights have a glow surrounding them, headlights flicker as a smear and not a crystal clear beam, etc. There was a yellow glow on a distant street, but the car was not seen. Fog lights are legal in So Cal, but cannot be run by themselves.

“In general, the enforcement of lighting requirements is directed toward preventing a hazardous situation due to an unsafe use of lighting equipment (that) obstructs another driver’s vision, or unlawful actions (that) mislead motorists to misidentify a vehicle so equipped as an emergency vehicle,”

The California Vehicle Code:

CVC section 22403(a) specifies the placement and use of fog lamps, which may be used with, but not as a substitute for, head lamps. They must be mounted on the front of the vehicle at a height of not less than 12 inches nor more than 30 inches off of the ground.

Additionally, going overboard in the lighting department can attract a police cruiser like a moth to a flame, as another section of the code restricts the maximum number of forward amps lighted at one time to four. So if you have separate high-beams on, in addition to your two regular driving lights, then the use of fog lamps is strictly verboten.

“I would first want to ensure whether the fog lamps are installed and used as required, if so, then the use of the fog lamps may be permitted as there is no restriction for the use of such lamps to fog conditions alone.”
    upload_2020-4-15_4-15-54.png

Having lived on the coast of So Cal for most of my life, we have run into heavy fog. The most obvious place is directly along the shoreline and Coast Highway 101 or Highway 1. But, some of the thickest fog that as teenagers encountered was 7-9 miles inland in Bixby Knolls. It was so thick that our teenage hangout was too wet to stand around and gab. The food was great, but getting out of the parking lot was a definite hazard. Even though the first drop off place for my friend was only two blocks away, it was 5 mph or less with only the normal headlights on for clarity. There was not much we could do, except for plodding along to my friend’s house.

We never had yellow fog lights as teenagers on any of our cars. The low beams usually were enough to see while driving. But on this day, the normal headlights glowed white, directly in front making it like driving into a white wall. Since we knew the roads, well, it was the slowest we ever went in the 58 Impala. That heavy fog lasted 6 more miles all the way to the Westside of Long Beach. It was the craziest, thickest fog we ever encountered until 1966 in Goleta, CA. near Santa Barbara.

Jnaki

This Ford Sedan Delivery has been seen in the coastal So Cal areas. It still gets extremely foggy along the coast. That is a given. So, with the addition of yellow fog lights, it could be easier driving in the fog. YRMV

Last edited: Apr 15, 2020
    41 GMC K-18 and AVater like this.
  8. x2 on the Shift Wizard. Only found one, wired it up and probably will never be out in the fog running topless.

9. LOWDUG37

LOWDUG37

10. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,
    Well, after almost a week with 80+ degree weather on the So Cal Coastline, there is now fog rolling in that is so thick that it is hard to see the other side of the street. So, break out those yellow fog lights, keep your normal headlights on and drive slowly.
    upload_2020-4-25_7-32-56.png
    The weather pattern here on the coast is usually three days of sunshine and wind. Then the fourth day the land has begun to cool and the fog now sees its chance to come to the party. It rolls in with a vengeance.

Jnaki
    In the photo above, Catalina Island is somewhere at 9 o'clock to the left. Drive carefully and stay safe, "locked in place." It is hard to take a short walk to the mailbox because the fog is so thick.

41 GMC K-18 likes this.