Register now to get rid of these ads!

Focus

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Sep 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. What about a button down near the "Quote" button so we can nominate a thread for inclusion in the Hot Rod or Kustom sections?

2. Just my $.02, but this is Ryan's sandbox we all play in. I'm just glad to hang out on the periphery and dodge all the bullies! My 65 Cyclone and 62 Bel Air are probably OT enough for most. If there's no room for me, I'll pick up my toys and find another sandbox to play in. Love this place though!

3. Ryan, I see the bigger picture you are trying to create and i may like the end result. Honestly, I am not completely sure where i fit in, I'll just wait and see. I lust after period correct hotrods and enjoy the customs. Traditional "style" mild hot rod trucks are my first love, hence my current build 51 chevy pickup. I'm in my early 30s and have a lot to learn. Thats why i'm here.

I do worry that you are going to discourage people like me from entering and staying in to this niche of hot rodding. It wont survive without new blood! I dont have the knowledge to create some of the cars i admire (yet). I'm hoping my next build will be a 26-27 or 28-29 roadster that meets most of the criteria. I'm not there yet. I am making sacrifices in my current build that may or may not eliminate me from being able to continue posting a build thread here. Build threads are a great tool of motivation to keep kicking that can down the road. If i don't get this truck finished, the roadster will never happen. Getting help here is one of the reasons i am even able to build my truck. I wasn't brought up in a automotive family, don't have local friends that share my interest. Its really difficult to break into the local scene without a drivable car! Ive learned gobs over the years just from, shutting my mouth, reading, watching and asking questions.

I think guys like me end up into traditional hotrods and customs, gradually. For me it started out liking styles as a kid i'm ashamed to admit. For me the variety is what keeps me coming back everyday and trying to make sure I've scanned at least the topic every thread posted that day.

Most of the AD truck threads I've got bookmarked and possibly my own will get closed based on the new criteria. Are the sub forums (like AD truckers) of interest to the refocus?

My HAMB license plate topper is waiting in the wings and I've got my alliance tag ready to rivet onto my firewall as soon i i get it painted in a week or two. Kinda unsure if i am a poser or aspiring traditional hot rodder...see where i am going with this?

Love your sites, and thanks for the work you do. There's no place on the Interwebs like em! Not really looking for an "answer" per say. Just hope its something you consider.

4. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

thats a hell of a good idea, saves some work for the mods, and alerts them to threads they might otherwise miss.

5. ratman

ratman

Sounds good you have my support:)

6. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

over the last few months, the " What is Traditional " threads have shown some wide swings in opinion. While I look forward to the changes to the board, I find myself now asking more questions . Things like:
    Whitewall and mags.............?????
    Small Block Chevy engine( dressed traditionally )........?????
    automatic trans..........
    Based on all I just read, a car ( let's take mine for instance ) with the above questioned items would fit in the general category only, never in the traditional section. Did I get this correct ?
    Sorry to add to the confusion

7. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

There were cars built in the late 50's and early 60's that featured both whitewalls and mags. I've got the little books to prove it.

A small block chevy not traditional? I disagree... Just look at any HRM published after 1955.

8. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

You should hear my mom.:eek:

9. The forum split is awesome! I cant wait to see the new forums fill up.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

10. Model T1

Model T1

You guys notice Ryan is reading and commenting. Sure it's his sandbox But he's just trying to keep the trash out of it and he wants as many kids to play as can follow the rules.

I've been on other forum sites where the Administrators rarely get involved. At least Ryan does play in his own sandbox and plays fair!

11. autobilly

autobilly

Ok, sounds good, let's go.

12. Let me say this, the good of the site is what is at stake here. This is not something that the boss figured out to pick on anyone. It is all about staying true to the roots of the site.

Hell if it was about picking on someone I would have been banned years ago, I am as guilty if not more guilty about taking off on a tangent than anyone on the site.

I always buck a new interface, I mean I have been through a change or two here in the last 10 years. Everytime something happens my brain says what the hell??? (actually it says what the fuck but some of the fellas are offended by that word, and far be it from me to offend someone one). But I have yet to see a change that does not enhance the site.

This is going to be good, it may take some getting used to for those of us who buck change, but really it is not as much change as it a general clean up.

13. hotrod0317

hotrod0317

I love the new boards and all and think it is a fantastic direction to go in. But I do have a question and this is about questions being asked do questions about stuff go into general discussions or if it is pertinent to a given theme custom or traditional does it go in those threads? or are the new threads strictly limited to just the builds/projects/technical aspects of the builds?

14. I like splitting them up, I'll still go and read Hot Rod stuff but this change will make it easier to find the stuff I'm looking to research for my Mercury.

I've personally also owned a VB based forum that had a lot of members and content when I sold it. I had way more forums, and I think this site is long overdue for a few splits.

15. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

Would a 30's car with a 5 spd, and hydraulic clutch be under the custom category? I kinda understand the traditional category, but unsure of the customs. Is a custom a car with only sheet metal mods, or is it one that you put a more modern driveline in, or both?

16. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Hate to make this anal, but ANY SBC? I know it's early, but it's going to come up like it just did a few posts ago. Shouldn't that be PRE 1965 SBC's?

So far, it looks good, but the night crew isn't on yet. Not that it would matter, but I see a few drama threads on the horizon. Ryan and the mods are going to be busy.

I'll post updates on my T Bucket in Dogfight and continue to update my album here, until it gets moved to Dogfight or I move it. I've got a large album and it could take a while.

I'll see you glass bodied, S-10 rear end, th350, Edelbrock carbbed. aluminum radiatored, billet steering column holder and early 80's SBC wearing guys over at Dogfight. Don't take all day moving your shit!

Oh, almost forgot... those damn RADIAL tires! Move those too.

17. HellsHotRods

HellsHotRods

ever wonder if it's too late

18. Alex Yohnk

Alex Yohnk

man o man.........I love how the posts under the traditional hot rod page are all guys who joined prior to '04.

19. Alex Yohnk

Alex Yohnk

in fact,
    I'm afraid to post over there........just like the old days, I'll shut my mouth and learn!!!!

20. This site DID start out back in the day as a site dedicated to Traditional cars, and through the years, it has morphed into a different site. So, in that regard, I can see the intent of the forum change.

I think that the split will tame down a lot of the bickering that we see between the Traditional and "Post-Traditional" guys. There is a huge divide in opinion as to what constitutes the term "Traditional", and hopefully, the Traditional section will be visited by like-minded members.

My only fear of this transition is my uncertainty of what the "Post Traditional" Hot Rod section will be like. I personally like the ground-pounding Hot Rods from the '60s, and I'm concerned that they are going to be up to the discretion of the Mods to either be moved, deleted, or tossed. I'm probably over-reacting, but until I see the wheels in motion, I have some reservations.

I think this might be a good time for the Post-Traditional (1960s and 1970s) Hot Rod guys to take a peek at the Dogfight site and see if maybe it can morph into the site that it was intended to be. I'm surprised at how little activity is on that site, but I think that folks are just creatures of habit and will keep going to where they are comfortable and familiar with the surroundings.

Running a site isn't easy, and I applaud Ryan for making a decision that maybe be unpopular to some, but gets the HAMB back to it's intended format.

21. oldnuts

oldnuts
    from nebraska

Is a not year specific hot rod frowned upon? I'm gathering parts for my 31 a sedan. I'm trying my hardest to use nothing new but I'm not aiming for a certain period. I think the new layout is going to be great but I'd still like to see your everyday hot rod build threads. Good luck.

22. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Read this and look at the pictures: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=828351

Of course not every small block is traditional. Don't make me spell it out man... If you don't know what a traditional looking SBC is, just read more than you post. Seriously.

Nope. I work pretty hard for what I want.

23. These are the guys I worry about falling though the cracks or being driven off because they can't manage a 'fully trad' ride because of budgetary restraints or encyclopedic knowledge. And not just the young guys either; there's older guys that may have bought a project or a 'finished' car that has OT content and want a traditional build, but may have to sneak up on it.

24. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Yeah, there will certainly be casualties... And I hate that... But that's the price I pay I suppose...

25. BONNEVILLE BOB 95

BONNEVILLE BOB 95

Just browsed thru the two new forums. Read the sticky. Checked out the referrence photos. We all know about first impressions. And most people don't like change. But the thread title says it all. Focus,Focus,Focus.This is just what we needed.
    Stay true & steady Skipper,your crew will be right behind you.
    I just hope you'll forgive my dual m/c & radials.

26. I don't think anybody is being driven off because they have a non-traditional ride. Just don't post about it. I'm a little concerned about whether my ride is traditional or not under the new rules but then I thought about it and realized that I have been here since 2009 and never really posted a thing about my ride anyway and I still enjoy the HAMB everyday.

Young guys, old guys - maybe they don't have the funds or the knowledge to make their project more trad, but this is the perfect place to learn how "sneak up on it" and most HAMBers will be happy to help...if we can ever agree on anything.:D

Don't worry, gents. It ain't gonna be that painful. In fact, it's going to be great.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2013
  27. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

So, then yes it would be a custom, body mods, and driveline mods. I did look at your post before I asked the question.

28. paw paw said to not worry about things you cant control. Were playing in someone's yard with their ball so they make the rules.

29. Again, I applaud the decision to refocus. None of the hot rods that I have, or have owned, will qualify in the "traditional" threads, due to choices that I have made in their builds. I'm cool with that. My focus has always been towards the "essence" of traditional in appearance, with an emphasis on driving them.

bc

30. JakeDW

JakeDW
    from Missouri

Really like the separate trad HR and trad custom sections nice.

Jake

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.