Register now to get rid of these ads!

FNG from da U.P, eh!

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by memphisrain, Jul 27, 2010.

1. memphisrain

memphisrain

Hi everyone,

I've been lurking for a while, and finally decided to introduce myself. My name is Jake, and I live in the beautiful Keweenaw peninsula of the U.P. of Michigan. I've recently graduated from college and finally have the time and the available funds for my hotrod addiction.

I was fortunate enough to find a 1932 Ford roadster as my first car when I was 14. I spent all summer at a local tree nursery carrying a heavy weed-eater around to be able to buy it. However I've never been able to finish it, due to time restraints of both my father, and then later, myself. I hope to get started on it again in the near future. Sorry, I don't have any pics of it at this time.

Just recently, I just picked up a 1930 Tudor body and I'm planning on building it first, so I can get my feet wet before starting on the '32. I pulled it out of a barn (by hand) and paid $50 to save it from the crusher. The plan is a simple rod with a big motor (429 BBF). It will likely be a rat rod of sorts at the start (which I realize you all dislike), but I will eventually clean the sheet metal up and improve it with time. I just want (need) to get something on the road to enjoy, since I've been driving myself crazy dreaming about cruising in a rod.

Here is a picture of a really rough mock up:

[​IMG]

Also, in case you are wondering, we do get a bit of snow, I'm 6'7" for a little perspective:

[​IMG]

Nice to meet you all!

mR

2. Eight433

Eight433

I like your powerPLANT

get it? Tree? plant?

Welcome aboard, in any case.

3. terry48435

terry48435

Welcome,I'm a Newbie myself. Seems to be a lot of us michiganders here. Looks like you got a good start there, Hang in there. I'm on my second build and you learn a lot of patience and learn a lot doing it yourself. And hey, Rat rods are cool too. You need any info, just ask. These guys are more than willing to help you out.:)

4. memphisrain

memphisrain

I hesitate to call it a rat rod, It will just be a hot rod with patina. It will be done as nice (and safe) as I possibly can.

mR

5. fxfxr

fxfxr
    from eureka, ca

Welcome. Just make it safe.

6. Welcome from a troll. We get a lot less snow.

7. welcome to the H.A.M.B. from Arkansas City, KS.

firstnomad

8. As long as your not building a r%@ r*$ then, welcome from Arkansas...

9. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Im stumped what kind of motor is it.Welcome ......

10. memphisrain

memphisrain

I'll admit it, I lol'ed...

No I'm not building a rat rod, just a traditional hot rod with some patina and lots of home-built parts.

11. 50Delux

50Delux
    from Michigan

Welcome from Howell. Looks like you off to a good start, I dig the mock up.

12. PhilJohnson

PhilJohnson

I love the UP. I've been up there a few times. If it wasn't for all the rain and clouds I'd move up there. Welcome and good luck with your ride :)

13. welcome from Chesaning home of the Showboat City Rumble rod & kustom show

14. clifforddean

clifforddean

Welcome from East Detroit. Damn man it's 90 degrees down here!