Register now to get rid of these ads!

FM radio adaptor?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by yule16met, Dec 23, 2009.

1. yule16met

yule16met
    from Hudson, WI

I am sick of AM radio in the corvair.
    I dont want to change out the radio, the interior is all original and I like it that way. Did they make an FM adaptor? My only other option is to hide a second radio under the seat.

Any Ideas?

2. LowFat48

LowFat48

Radio shack used to sell them , also check ebay and jc whitney , might find what your looking for.

3. AllSteel36

AllSteel36
    from California

I know they were avaialable many years ago...back in the mid-70's my Dad put one in an old Ford pickup...I'm guessing he got it through JC Whitney.

Another thing, might check the aftermarket Corvair suppiers, there may be something available that slips in w/o mods...I know they started doing it for '55-9 Chevy PU's many years ago, so guys woldn't have to cut up thier dashes.

4. LowFat48

LowFat48

5. Hellfish

Hellfish

6. rustrustler

rustrustler

I had one of those fm converters and it was a pos. I'd hid a good one in the glovebox or console if it were mine to do. Mike

7. shmoozo

shmoozo
    from Media, PA

Hide a proper sound system in another location. Under a seat would do, but look around the interior and see if you have other options.

Also, check with vendors to see if they have a unit that can be hidden completely and operated with a small remote control pad that can be placed within reach of the driver.

8. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

can't get them anymore ive searched .Just put a radio under the seat.I had the same problem with my firebird,I was driving down the road listening to hannah montana and the jonas bothers,Next day took out seat ,made adapter brackets and installed fm radio.I cant stand hannah montana or the jonas brothers...Am radio is not what it use to be......

9. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I should have a couple of those FM convertors laying around here somewhere but they really only work good with in a certain distance of the stations,you are lucky to pull in a station 20 miles away so hiding a good system would be the best.

10. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

11. Rich1028

Rich1028

12. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

13. Paul Windshield

Paul Windshield

I've got a FM converter message me if you really want one. Willing to part with it.

14. TheMonkey

TheMonkey
    from MN

Matt in Milwaukee. i think he posts on here. on PY forums he posts as Engine-Ear. cool guy, and he is in this business...

I haven't tried the product, but heard good things.

check out: http://www.rediscoveradio.com/

d'oh... i see someone already posted the link.

15. TheMonkey

TheMonkey
    from MN

16. chubbie

chubbie

I used the FM converter for years! one of those low $ things that worked!!!!

17. PhilJohnson

PhilJohnson

How can you say that! I love Hannah Montana and the Jonas brothers :rolleyes:

18. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

rediscoveradio.com sure looks like a great long term set up. hope to use one in my '51 Ford coupe project once I check out original radio, etc

19. UncleJoey

UncleJoey

There is a guy up here in Ontario that will rework the original radio to run am/fm and any othe inputs you may want. If you're interested, pm me and I'll get you his number. He's been at it for decades and does nice work restoring old radios too.

Chris

20. Spity

Spity

Someone makes a product that goes inline with you antenna and has an headphone style jack on it to plug into an ipod etc. works with am radios.

I wired a motor cycle amp under my dash directly to the speakers, used an rca jack to my satellite radio. The amp i used is smaller than my hand, and is about 150 watts, and is plenty loud for my deaf ass. Amp + speakers + wiring, fuses etc about 70 bucks. Works great!

21. i had on in my 60' impala from radio shack $29.99 was original cost and in 78' a guy in my auto shop class gave it to me because he couldn't make it work. i called radio shack and they said tune to 1680 and bamm! FM RADIO! put it in the glovebox and left it tuned to KISW 99.9 and everytime i turned the radio on my buddies thought i was a radio guru because i could get FM on a AM radio. it got even better when a reverb was added.

22. Engine-Ear

Engine-Ear
    Alliance Vendor

Uh, I think that's US! Guys, you gotta give the RediRad a try...if your stock/traditional car has the original sound system, CELEBRATE IT! The RediRad lets you enjoy your music on your terms all the while keeping your wallet full and your equipment as the factory intended it.

With the sea of chinese crap (with nonexistent customer service) out there, why not give the American-Made RediRad a try?

You get a money back guarantee and 1 year parts and labor warranty with it, and as the Monkey pointed out, a SPECIAL special for HAMB Alliance members that saves you between 30 and 50 dollars!

Merry Christmas from the dirty-fingernailed crew at Brew City Engineering!!