Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical FM National Ball Wheel Bearings: Any Good?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fsae0607, Nov 6, 2014.

1. fsae0607

fsae0607

I'm looking to replace my front wheel ball-style bearings on my '61 GMC 1/2 ton in the near future. It looks like Rockauto has Federal Mogul National brand bearings in stock (P/N's B66 & B67).

Based on my research, 1960 & 1961 were oddball years and there appears to be no tapered roller bearing retrofit kits. Unfortunately, these Federal bearings are Chinese made. I've researched online and haven't really found any feedback on this brand of ball bearings. I guess that's a good sign? Normally with a failure there would be a ton of feedback.

Does anyone have experience with Federal ball bearings? Yes, I cross-ref'd to Timken, and the Timkens are of the sealed design, and won't work. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. Buckster

Buckster

I have a Delco New Departure-Hyatt bearing catalog & it lists a New Departure Outer wheel bearing no. 909067
    and the inner no. 909052. These are for the G1000 models-years 1960-67.
    For the Models 10, 100, & 1000 it says the Outer bearing no. 909067 & the inner no. 909066 (1st Series)
    Same as above but 2nd Series-Outer bearing no. LM11949-LM11910 Inner bearing no.LM48548-LM48510
    Maybe these numbers will give you another interchange.

fsae0607 and loudbang like this.
  3. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

I understand the not wanting Chinese bearings.
    I would look on that auction site (you know the one) for NOS American made bearings.
    My '57 uses ball bearing, and I have bought U.S. made bearings and seals at affordable prices.
    If you are not in a hurry, it would be the way to go!
    KK

4. fsae0607

fsae0607

Awesome thanks I will check those out!

I spent some time on "that auction site" today with no luck. I've heard a few horror stories on the HAMB about chicom bearings, and I want to have piece of mind, especially on long drives. For some reason, tapered bearing retrofit kits stop at '59.

Thanks again guys I'll do some more detective work!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

5. might want to check with a local industrial bearing supplier, if you have one nearby....they can likely cross reference your original numbers to most brands or find by dimension. That is where I get USA made throwout bearings,
    I have found most auto parts stores only carry imported bearings.

fsae0607 and loudbang like this.
  6. fsae0607

fsae0607

I work in an industrial part of town, I'll check it out.

7. Buckster

Buckster

Hello-I rec'd a note that you want to communicate with me. I see where you got the wheel bearings on an EBAY auction. I am glad I was of an assistance.
    If you need further info enter your question & I will do my best to help you out.