Register now to get rid of these ads!

Flywheel torque converter

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by paulie_boy13, Jul 7, 2011.

1. paulie_boy13

paulie_boy13
    from NC

So I was installing my c4 onto my flathead using a cherry picker in the garage.
    I installed the tc to the trans, it spun fine. Then bolted the tc to the flywheel.(how tight should it be to the flywheel? Should I leave any "play"?

When I went to bolt the bellhousing to the block I had trouble getting the dowel pins on the block to engage the bellhousing. In the process of shifting the trans around (I had it on a strap on my cherry picker) the whole trans slid back off the torque converter.

I went ahead and slid the trans back on the tc feeling it "engage" twice. I then bolted the bellhousing to the block although It still didn't like the dowel pins.

Should I pull the whole trans again and reset the tc? I looked at the pump before I slid the tc on and I don't think the seal or pump was damaged or pulled out.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2011
  2. Master of None

Master of None

I'm confused you bolted the trans separate from the bell housing? Like a 4spd? Or did you in stall it as a unit Tans with bell housing and converter installed? Ford is famous for using multiple converters with multiple bell housings and flywheels. You might have a miss match of parts? or is it a Kit?

3. squirrel

squirrel

I'd pull it apart, leave the converter out, and see if I could get the transmission assembly to fit on the engine. Then once I got that figured out, I'd pull it apart, install the converter in the trans, and see if it all fits together right. There should be some play between the converter and flywheel when the trans is bolted up to the engine.

You might want to set up some kind of pallet or something to support the engine while you mess around with getting the transmission connected to it. Take your time.

4. paulie_boy13

paulie_boy13
    from NC

Thanks Jim.

Those nylon lock nuts on the tc. I should just run em a few threads on there so I have say 1/4" of back and forth play on the tc once it's on the flywheel?

5. squirrel

squirrel

Don't put the nuts on the converter until the transmission is completely bolted to the engine. Once it's all together, just make sure there's a bit of play between them, so that you know the converter is not pushing on anything in the transmission. I think there should be less than 1/4" play.

6. paulie_boy13

paulie_boy13
    from NC

Perfect info, thank you again.

7. Nothing to add, except that Jim is one of the most helpful guys on the H.A.M.B.!

Always giving good info, and helping folks out, Thanks, Jim!!!

8. Willy301

Willy301

As Squirrel stated, as soon as the bell housing is bolted up, you should have a quarter or half inch between the T/C and flex plate. Then bolt the T/C to the flex plate and tighten them all the way, do not just run them on a few threads and leave the play in there.

9. paulie_boy13

paulie_boy13
    from NC

Trans came back off, tc engaged and spins by hand. All tc studs go through flywheel. Bellhousing bolted and tightened down. Appears to be 1/4 of play between tc an flywheel but I can't seem to shake tc (to check for binding)

What should I be looking for with binding?

Last edited: Jul 8, 2011
  10. squirrel

squirrel

You should be able to move the converter forward onto the flywheel, and put the nuts on. As long as the converter can move forward as needed to seat on the flywheel, it should be fine.

11. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What Jim is trying to tell you and I have never known him to be wrong is that if you can turn the converter by hand after the trans is bolted up tight to the engine and nothing interferes you are good to go and line up the holes on the converter with the holes on the flexplate install the bolts and nuts and tighten them down.

Quite often when a guy has the converter bolted to the flexplate and tries to stab the trans like he would do a stick trans with a clutch he ends up either damaging the converter or the front pump in the trans.

12. squirrel

squirrel

The fords use studs on the converter, so you can't turn the converter relative to the flywheel, you can only move it forward and backward. I guess you never worked on one? they're "fun"