Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods flywheel identification

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mike howell, Apr 25, 2020.

1. mike howell

mike howell

i've got a gm flywheel that i would like to use in my 55 chevy 210 with a 1970 350ci engine. the number as close as i can tell is 3856570 dated 02/06 and gm2nf. it is a smaller flywheel with 153 teeth. it was used in a chevy dirt track car with 350ci engine. i know this ain't much info but maybe a good start. any info ya'll give would be helpful. thanks, nubby!

2. Did you research it first? It is not likely someone would have that information unless THEY looked it up.

3. mike howell

mike howell

it has been several years and has changed hands

4. mike howell

mike howell

thats the first thing i did!

5. squirrel

squirrel

If the flywheel will fit the crankshaft flange, it should work. They changed the crank flange in 1986 on Chevy small blocks, so the later flywheel won't fit a 1970 engine. But as far as everything else, the only other difference on some flywheels was a balance weight used on the 400 and 454 engines, and they were only made in 168 tooth versions, as far as I know.

ekimneirbo likes this.
  6. mike howell

mike howell

that is the first thing i did!

7. mike howell

mike howell

thanks

8. Fordors

Fordors

292287B9-A5EE-480E-8C15-D7607B8E9D0B.jpeg
    You mentioned the flywheel came from a circle track racer. Does it look like the one pictured, and if so it weighs 15#.
    I run this one in a ‘32 coupe with a blower, and being a relatively light car with low end torque it is fine on the street. I think you might find the typical 30# ‘wheel more to your liking in a ‘55 Chevy.

dan c and squirrel like this.
  9. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Maybe this will help..........
    Flywheels x1 001.jpg

ramblin dan likes this.
  10. squirrel

squirrel

great chart, indeed. 400 and 454 available in the 1960s? hmmm....I don't know about that!

11. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

I agree, guess it was a misprint. I had come across this in a drawer I was cleaning out. It's old, you can tell by the yellowing paper it's on. Hope all the non-Chevy stuff was right, cause I know even less about those off brands :D

12. mike howell

mike howell

that is exactly what i've got. so i guess you would have get the rpm up and ride the clutch for street driving or a really tall gear in the diff. right?

13. Fordors

Fordors

Yes, you are correct. In addition to being lighter it is cast nodular iron making it stronger than the typical GM gray iron flywheels. It’s a nice ‘wheel in the right car, somebody will want it.

14. squirrel

squirrel

14085720 is the current part number. I doubt you'd have to ride the clutch, or need really tall gears, but it would help to have gearing in the mid 3s or so, and you'll have to slip the clutch a little to get moving.

It was used in production cars...it's not a trick race piece.

ottoman likes this.
  15. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Best solution is to put that money toward a Tremec TKO 500. Then you have a transmission that has a lower first gear,and overdrive. It has far more strength than a typical 4 speed. A mild 350 could never hurt it.
    On the other hand, many four speeds are initially cheaper to purchase but in the long run you end up having to rebuild them. You have to change the flywheel or rear end , then the car is miserable to drive on the freeway at higher rpms, and gas mileage sucks. Put a five speed in it and have the best of both worlds, low gear and overdrive.......and strong!;)

16. Fordors

Fordors

Maybe not a “trick” piece but it was developed for the L-88 Jim. Chevrolet didn’t use them in any other RPO. Also available BITD was a stronger 10 1/2” diaphragm pressure plate, a disc with an aluminum marcel and even a dual disc package.

squirrel likes this.
  17. squirrel

squirrel

It's almost as though we might need more information about the car he wants to put it in, before making a recommendation?

18. mike howell

mike howell

i do have a 3.55 gear so maybe a little clutch slipping want be so bad!

19. squirrel

squirrel

You can give it a try, or find a heavier flywheel. Make sure the starter will work with this one, they used different ones for different flywheels, and the engine block and bellhousing are also involved in making sure everything fits together.