Register now to get rid of these ads!

Flywheel,Clutch, Pressure plate for Desoto to 39 trans.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 343w, Feb 11, 2012.

1. 343w

343w

Can anyone help with the parts info for connecting my 54 276 Desoto engine with my 39 Ford trans. I've heard it takes a Dodge truck flywheel and pressure plate, with an early Ford clutch disc and throw-out bearing. I need to know the years of the Dodge truck parts and where to get them these days? Part numbers and sources will sure come in handy.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2012
  2. 343w

343w

I need help with this clutch problem, is there anyone out there?

3. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I am not sure why it would require a Dodge truck flywheel as opposed to any Dodge car,DeSoto or Plymouth V8 flywheel. So far as I know the crank flange and flywheel diameter is the same for all the early V8 engines. that leaves the clutch diameter and pressure plate bolt pattern the most likely variable. Is that why a truck flywheel is needed?

You didn't mention what adapter you are using. Is there a list of required parts with your adapter?

Ray

4. 73RR

73RR

As suggested, the adapter might have a particular requirement for a flywheel, but generally there are only two early flywheels to be concerned with: 146 tooth and 172 tooth.
    The early wheels may have had 4, 6 or 8 bolts to the crank. Truck applications were either 6 or 8. You should use either 6 or 8 on a v-8 application.
    Next, keep in mind that there is a different flywheel used on Plymouth 201-208-218.
    On many of the 146 tooth wheels the PP bolt pattern is typical 10½" B&B or diaphram style. Your throwout bearing needs to be compatible with the style of PP you choose to use.

Also, be aware that some truck flywheels can weigh over 70 lbs....

If you don't have a detailed info with the adapter then you will just have to get a wheel and see if it fits. If so, then you are good to go...if not, buy another wheel...

5. 34hemipu

34hemipu

I did a chev 4 speed behind a 330 used a wilcap adaptor and flywheel , maybe they can advise you .

Good luck, Mike

6. meengrinch

meengrinch
    from ipswich ma

i just did something like your doing except mine was a chevy in a 39 ford tranny. the problem lies with the size of the ford release brg. you need to be sure that when clutch is depressed the pressure plate fingers do not hit or jam because of the width of the bearing...if your dodge stuff has a diaphram style the fingers may hit...i had to use a b and b style for clearance.......b and b type use 3 fingers........good luck....check the bushing adapter between the crank and the main shaft of the tranny too

7. 343w

343w

Thanks for the feed back guys, my adaptor came from here on the Hamb, it mates the 276 engine to my 39 transmission. But I'm needing the flywheel and pressure plate specs. to put it all together.

8. I have a flywheel . You can use the ford pressure plate and disc, you will heave to redrill the flywheel to fit the ford stuff. I took a 146 tooth flywheel and put the starter ring off of a 74 dodge 318 pu flywheel on it ,they are 172 tooth. Is the adapter that you have a two piece aluminum?

Lee

9. George/Maine

George/Maine

When doing a chevy to 39 trans a 1949 1950 mercury pressure plate is used thats 10 inch with a mercury disk.You will have to redrill flywheel they are 6 bolts evenly spaced.

10. 343w

343w

(Old Hemi) Yes the adaptor is a two piece unit, does the flywheel you have match the Desoto crankshaft bolt pattern.

11. 73RR

73RR

..are you sure about that...?

12. 343w

343w

I was told there is a flywheel that matches the bolt pattern of the Desoto crankshaft, and then the pressure plate is used for that piece, I just don't know make and year. Surely someone has done this before...