Register now to get rid of these ads!

Flying Monkey update # 5...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DIRTYT, May 15, 2006.

1. DIRTYT

DIRTYT
    from Warren,MI

Today was another perfect rainy day here in Detroit, so we kept at it in the garage after chasing more parts this morning. I worked on rounding the window frames on the doors and got alot of metalwork done.

Fathack took the stock rear leafs apart and removed four leafs before putting them back together. I was ready for a break by this point so I strapped a couple of the discarded leafs to my shoes and hopped around the yard a bit much to my dog's amusement! He's never seen a kangadirtyroo before I guess!

I got back to the metalworking while fathack made up the 4 inch drop blocks and installed the rear axle and springs into the frame. We put the wheels back on and dropped the chassis back onto the ground to see what we had going. It's much lower than stock!

The stock 51 ford rubber flex hose for the rear brakes would've been way too long, so Hack adapted one from an 81 Camaro to the stock bracket on the frame and modified the brass t-block on the line to fit the Ford rear axle. The bolt that holds the line to the axle is also the rear axle vent, so he made sure to keep that and use it with the camaro flex line.

Then some steel lines were bent up to connect the flex hose to the new wheel cylinders. I can't believe how clean those 55 year old backing plates were!

Well, here's some pictures from today's activities...

Attached Files:

2. DIRTYT

DIRTYT
    from Warren,MI

Some more pictures showing the rear springs and blocks, and the cool grommet where the brake line passes through the rear crossmember.

Also check out the roof's profile with the rounded edges.

More to come tomorrow!

Attached Files:

3. HotRodDrummer

HotRodDrummer

Looks good bro,

What you got going weekend after this???

Can I come down and help/work??

pm me how to get there if yes....

Check the yes or no box..hahaha

and expect Alex to be ready to model!!!j/k

Peace,
    HRD:cool:

4. DIRTYT

DIRTYT
    from Warren,MI

sent ya pm there sweet heart;) :eek:

5. Nick32vic

Nick32vic

haha, your a fuckin goofball. Thats tremendous. Its looking good man.

Matthew, you never talk to me anymore. I break up.

6. You guys are WILD! Way to go!

Joel

7. HotRodDrummer

HotRodDrummer

Nicki, You know I still love you....you never call!!haha

Oh, and DirtyT,

I know your legs are short, so I won't give you any shit for "jumping" a foot or so off the ground with springs on your feet!!hahahaha

8. HotRodDrummer

HotRodDrummer

OH!!!!

and I'm NOT kidding about Alex!!haha

9. MercMan1951

MercMan1951

I need a rear brake line bent/plumbed...just the straight line run that goes from the M/C to the rearend. If the master cyl. was mounted to the firewall for me, and the whole system bled as well by the time I got home, that would be really cool too.

While we're at it, can Fathack rebuild the front brakes? They're rusty from sitting so long. New rotors, calipers, hoses, bearings...I think that will do.

I also need a gas line pickup run, from the modified in-tank pickup to the new mechanical fuel pump on the engine. Don't forget the "vent" or the wiring for the sending unit.

The engine isn't in yet. All that has to be done is install my modified non-FI in-tank pickup, mount the tank, and run the line. Can you spare Fathack to come over and do that while I'm at work? I'm getting behind. It would be a big help. I'll leave a 20 spot on the workbench for materials!

10. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

Ha Ha...that twenty might cover the beer...hope ya got the materials already, Kev!!

:D

11. DIRTYT

DIRTYT
    from Warren,MI

man those springs werent that springy. i kept bottoming them out every time i hit the ground. but i bounced around for like 10 min scarying the dog and i was tired as hell. i need to cut down to a pack a day again i think,

12. Aaron51chevy

Aaron51chevy

It's not that the springs aren't springy, it's just they have a weight restriction! he he, man you guys are really moving on it, the frame looks great! Since you all are so far along I expect a nice custom spraybomb finish, maybe some lace panels!

13. dvlscoupe

dvlscoupe

It's lookin' good mang'. The chop looks like you learned more than a little from the herpie. Any chance of getting a close up or dimmensions of your drop blocks. I need to make me a set.

14. DIRTYT

DIRTYT
    from Warren,MI

2x4 1/8 wall 4 inches long with pin on top and a hole in the bottom

15. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

They're nothing special...just 4" x 2" x 4" thick square stock with 1/2" holes drilled in the center of the bottoms to drop over the centering pin on the springs and a stubby 3/8" bolt welded inside to locate the tops to the hole in the axle pads.

We had longer u-bolts made at a local spring shop and that was pretty much it. The steel stock used for the drop blocks came from Metal Supermarkets and they even cut them to size for us. From there, it's pretty much a measure, punch & drill operation.

(You could use a 1/4" through bolt in the top of the blocks to locate them to the hole in the axle pads, too and skip the welding part...but I was having so much fun using a Pauly Junior Signature Series stepped drill bit for the first time that I kinda over-shot the 1/4" mark, so Bryan welded the studs in which worked out great!)

16. DIRTYT

DIRTYT
    from Warren,MI

yea what he said

17. dvlscoupe

dvlscoupe

Cool, thanks. I imagine reds made ya the u-bolts and I guess I'll see if wright steel has the stock.

18. beatnik

beatnik

LMAO :D :D :D

Flying monkey indeed.

19. PorkChop

PorkChop
    from Austin

Dirty...did UPS deliver the box yet?

just makin sure they made it up there ...

Gable

20. DIRTYT

DIRTYT
    from Warren,MI

nothing yet

21. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

Actually the u-bolts came from John R Spring, but yeah...Red's would carry them, too...and they're closer to where you live.

22. PorkChop

PorkChop
    from Austin

HUmmm.. let me know when they show up.. I would guess it would only take a few days to get there.. I think they went out friday.. or thursday.. I dont remember specifically..

Gable