Register now to get rid of these ads!

Flyin' Brick, the (ex-Barn Job) build & race thread.

Discussion in 'HA/GR' started by Old6rodder, Jun 28, 2012.

1. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

How did it run at Barona?

2. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Barona, 9/12.
    43rd Barona Antique Nat's.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Great weekend, I always go down the day before, and sleep there at the strip. It's a few miles in behind San Diego, back in the canyons, and it's beautiful at night.

The weather got up to 106*, but back in those canyons there's always a good breeze, so it wasn't bad at all. I didn't start out very well though, I'd forgotten my pre-registration paperwork, left it home. :eek: Fortunately they had that sort of thing covered, with their own list. :D

They ran from 0800 'til 1600, I got in 8 runs without a problem, and could've done a couple more if I'd wanted. Most of'em were 9.2xx as I had quite a bit of trouble getting'er into second with the new reversed shift pattern. It's not easy retraining a 4 year left hand habit. :(

On the best of the two runs that I found the gear I ran 8.710 @ 79.296, only .103 off'er best 1/8 so far. There's more there, so I'm really up about next year. :cool:

I got to run Gary, who was there with his neat flathead Bantam altered (see above), a bunch of other cool cars, and even one of the Bean Bandits' new cars (a really cool flat powered phone booth sedan {sadly, I didn't get a picture}). Managed to win 7 of the races in spite of all my gear fishing. We were really well matched for the one I lost. It would've been a great close one if I hadn't managed to fumble both second AND third. :mad:

Here're a few of the cars there that I liked, raced some of'em too. :cool:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Eagle Field in two weeks. :D

Last edited: Sep 24, 2012
  3. storm king

storm king

Nice pix, thanks!

4. Old28

Old28

Well Dick, it sounds like you had a great time and with 8 runs to boot.:)

Looks like all the changes you have made to the car are working out fine.

I will put their two Antique Races on my ever growing "Bucket List" for next year.;) Do they have dates for next year yet?

5. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Well, Kiddies,

I got'er fiddled together for Eagle Field, all ready to load up and light on out. :D

This's the first race in four years that I've had my "act" together more than 10 hours before hitting the bricks. :rolleyes:
    What're you supposed to do with all this extra time? :confused:

See ya soon, "Smokey" (aka Rocky :cool:) ............. "Stover"? :p

6. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Well, Barona's Antique Nat's were a gas. :cool:
    Tom, I haven't seen dates for next year's 'Nat's yet, I'll post'em up when I do.

So now, the trailer's hooked up, the truck's loaded up,
    and Eagle Field doth becon, upon the 'morrow's risen sun.
    Naked asphalt, flag waving starts, dirt pits .......... YES.
    Good friends, good racing, good times .......... OH, yes.
    As it is, was, and ever SHOULD be ........... oh MY, yes. :cool:

Then, Butch's last ANRA meet of the season, next weekend.
    I'll be rolling right back up the 5 & 99 for that as well. :cool:

Also, I got my verification card for the CHRR (that Joe talked me into ;)) in the mail yesterday.
    So that'll be right back up the 5 & 99 yet again the weekend following. :cool:

I think I may remember this October for a bit. :D

Last edited: Oct 4, 2012
  7. bobw

bobw

Eagle Field, how did it go? I would guess you pegged the Fun Meter.

8. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Eagle Field, 10/12.

Forgot my camera, so I'll have to scrounge pictures as they're posted elsewhere. :(
    OK, here're some I found. In no particular order ............

The day was terrific, the field and strip were terrific, the cars were terrific, the folks were terrific, the action was relentless, the 'Brick ran great, and the racing was grrrrreat. :D

Did I mention it was terrific? :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

I relenquished any claim to HAMBie first round, when Jeanna put a two car hole shot on me as I went up in smoke in first and couldn't quite run'er down on the tall end. We crossed the line one wheel apart at the front axles. A harbinger of things to come through the day. :cool:
    Joe ran Gary first round, and took it handily, with Les taking the bye in order to sort out the repairs to his engine.

[​IMG]

Second round, Joe and Les went off, with Joe again steam rolling the strip for the win.
    Jeanna had the bye, and elected to continue our grudge match. She had a bit of trouble on the line and left too late to quite catch me. So, another wheel to wheel finish, and one each. :cool:

Third round was Joe vs. Jeanna for the beans. Joe put down another textbook run to claim HAMBie once again.
    This round I ran Les, and managed to beat'im to the top end by a whisker.

Fourth round, Jeanna and I, to go for the best 2 of 3. The girl was mind-drifting on the flag, but still pulled a near one by the end. Another tight finish out of the hat with a superb drive. :cool: D-2, J-1.

[​IMG]

Joe answered Les' challenge this round, but got a case of the "antsies" and upstaged the flagman considerably. :eek:

Fifth round, the day's last. Joe wound up next to a slingshot, and had a ball running'im. I missed the outcome, but I bet it was a good race.
    Jeanna and I decided to continue our grudge match. A good, clean race in both lanes saw her with the edge at the far end, and our grudge score final at 2 apiece.
    We've agreed to pick it up again at Butch's ANRA meet this weekend, for a best 3 out of five. Saturday, during the HAMBie runs, if we get matched by the coin tosses, and afterward if we don't. :D

[​IMG]

All in all, one hell of a great meet, a bucket load of great racing, and enough fun that the Dems'll surely be looking to find a way to stifle it, tax it, or both. :cool:

The only problem I had with the 'Brick was with the starter. It's relay plate's gotten carboned up a bit, and needs cleaned before I light out for Bako this weekend. Fortunately, Tom, Patti, and Kay were able to hand push the car to a bump start the couple times it tried to not start at Eagle (try THAT with your slush-pumps, all you SDRAers :p ;)).

Another utterly bitchin' weekend at another of Rocky's incredible Eagle Field meets. :cool:

Last edited: Oct 11, 2012
  9. bobw

bobw

Thanks for the recap, Dick. Sounds like great fun. Or, should I say, terrific?

To avoid withdrawal, I watched a DVD of Eagle Field last year.

10. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

OK Gentlemen, I found a few pictures of one of our runs, and added'em to the meet post #68 above
    (in no particular order).

11. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

I have a few more for you once I get them downloaded and shrunk enough to send you. GREAT weekend!:D

12. That is such a cool car! I saw you make some passes at Eagle Field, that was a fun race.

13. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Cool, looking forward to'em. :cool:

Thank you. Yeah, helluva meet Rocky puts on, eh? :D

14. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Famoso, 10/12.
    Butch's ANRA IV Meet, his season finisher.

Had a bit of rain going over the 'Vine, but had the car cocooned, so no problems. Got to the strip at noon, and was second in line, Flathead Gary was in front of us. :D

There were many folks that'd stayed in their pits from the T&T the weekend before (Butch was letting'em run some more T&T between his ANRA races for a bit), so we didn't get our usual spots. They've newly asphalted the old dirt area to the west side of the return road south of the barns, so we pitted there. Tom (Old28) pitted next to us to the south, and Tim (mctim64) pitted next to us to the north.
    Joe & family didn't notice our spot, and pitted next to the lanes fence, in front of our usual row.

Saturday wound up starting late due to some leftover rain on the strip, so we all got in only 2 quals once again. HAMBie's coin tosses put me against Joe, with Jeanna taking the bye (she staged with Tom's SDRA car, which was on a feel-out first pass), for first qual round. I went red -.141, but Joe pinned my ears back once again anyway with another blistering 11 second run (11.898 :cool:) against my disapointing 14.062. I lit'em up in second and third again to boot.

Second qual round saw Jeanna having to split for a friend's wedding, 'queathing the race, and HAMBie, to grandpa. So Joe takes HAMBie right back home again. :D
    My second run netted a nice .027 light, but to no avail, lighting'em up again in second and third. Dropped to 14.512.
    Not a patch on Joe's luck though, as he turned his punkin into a kit in the waterbox. I was in line directly behind'im, and got the command performance. :eek: Oh, the ironmongery!
    Fortunately he had another one on hand (albeit with different gears) that he could put in with a bit of pit style wrenching. He did, and was loaded for bear again Sunday morning.

That .027 R/T matched me up with Tim for Sunday's first Elim round, but he'd had to go home Saturday evening, so I drew a competition bye for the first race. Damn good thing too, as I added fumbling third gear to the loose hides, posting up a 14.932 for the "win". :rolleyes:

Second Elim matched me and Jeanna, so I decided to match her 14.08 dial-in in order to run our fifth grudge race (left over from Eagle field :cool:).
    Caught'er sleeping at the switch with my .018, but she had it all back by the 440 mark, and I hit the end .2 seconds behind'er. Grudge match; Jeanna. Way to go, Kid. :cool:
    Unfortunately she'd hurried a bit much to do it, and broke out at 13.934, to let me win the ANRA part of the race with my 14.438.
    We didn't get to see Joe's run, not near him in the line-up.

Third round I got a .131 jump on my opponent, to draw him into a break-out at the far end for my win. Still going up in smoke at 14.601. :mad:

Fourth round I got a .177 lead, and ran a good race (other than the loose hides), but had been too optimistic dialing in. I ran 14.705 on my 14.42 guess, losing the actual race by .018.
    About an axle at the line. :D A loss, but one HELL of a great race. :cool:
    It also left me in third place for the Meet's Open Wheel class. This would've been nicer if I'd been able to make the previous Meet, and keep my place in the standings then. Oh well, that's fate. :rolleyes:

I hadn't known that Butch pays out for third (if not a bye), so was surprised (and pleased) to receive the $50.00 award. My hobby funds appreciate it as well. :D

Tried out a third gear launch on the return road after the last run, may be the clutch rather than the hides. I'll have to check it out after the first of the year.

The scales were open for once, and I verified the 1420 lbs weight from Scholl Canyon dump's scales.
    Jeanna weighed her car. 1235 lbs. :eek:
    And I'm giving'er another 80 lbs in person as well (where's a "screaming in frustration" icon when you need one? :D).

In addition, two different old timers (that's "greybeards", like me :D) stopped by seperately to jaw, and to let me know they're each collecting parts and plans for their HA/GRs, with builds to start next year. Yes, Virginia, the dream still draws breath. :cool:

I'll post up some pictures when I get'em processed. :cool:

Next weekend's the "Reunion" Meet that Joe talked me into. :cool:
    Not going to touch the car, it is what it is for this year.
    Definitely going to touch'er after the parade.:mad:

ps. The starter thing turned out to be the neutral interlock micro-switches. They'd built up enough resistance on the contacts to limit the current to the solenoid, just enough to keep it from locking the plate to the contact lugs, but not enough to keep the plate from moving completely.
    Only to me would this happen. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Jan 4, 2013
  15. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Fond this really great shot from speednchrome.com, Jeanna & I staging for one of our grudge runs at Rocky's Eagle Field meet. :cool:

[​IMG]

16. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Hang in there, I haven't gotten to those pictures yet. Maybe today? Hey, I'm old and slow. :p

17. bobw

bobw

Another enjoyable write-up, Dick. If about 8 million people would leave, I'd move out there and join in the Eagle Field, Barona & ANRA fun.

You'll be providing a "touch by touch" updates on the car this winter, right?

18. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Don't know Bob. That would only be about half of the politicians we have out here. If you can make them leave we would be glad to have you. Everyone knows that one drag racer is worth 10,000,000 politicians. It would be a worthwhile trade.:D

19. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Howdy, and Happy New Year, Gentlemen,

Yeah, it's me ...... once again back amongst the living. :rolleyes:

The floats (that's right .... plural, I wound up doing two this year) were manic, as always. But we pulled two clean runs, and two heavy weight floral awards out of it when the dust had settled. :cool:

The Brick's still tarped for the season while I catch up on yard and bench work for the next couple weeks, but I plan to have'er breathing air again in February. I may try to make Rocky's new meet up at Eagle, but it'll be a tight fit schedule-wise. Depends mostly on my load on the bench.

I'm considering a possible change in'er this year sometime as well. No drama this time though, just something I've always wanted to do eventually, sort of a "bucket list" kind of thing.
    I'm giving some practical thought to re-engineering'er to a "Midnite Oil" configuration. That car has been lodged in my fantasies for rather awhile (pretty much since the first time I ever saw it :D).

I've worked out all the primary alterations, and believe the resultant package would be viable, slightly quicker than'er present configuration, and a shitload of fun.
    I realize it may keep me out of some meets due to NfHRA's ass-headedness. Sadly, Butch's ANRA series would likely be one of'em, but with fewer and fewer actual runs there anyway, it could prove an acceptable loss for me. And hell, it's even conceivable that it wouldn't keep me out, if I can find a way to do it in a manner they'd accept (and one that I'll accept of course).

Still, it is a long standing dream of mine, and as this is likely my last race car, it's (as such) likely also the last chance I'll get to do it.

Though the decision's not final, and of course's mine alone, I'd like to hear your opinions, yea, nay, and otherwise ...... and kibitzing as well. :D

For any of you poor disadvantaged souls not familiar with the car in question (and for the discourse callenged among us :p), here's an old shot of'er in action, and a couple newer ones I took of the resto at one of Forever Four's meets. Simply imagine an Overland tub version of this (still with the slant, naturally).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 4, 2013
  20. Old28

Old28

Nice to see you back on the air Dick, I am glad to hear that you had a good float session and picked up a couple of awards.:D

First off I love your idea on the car and hope you go through with the change. It would be a fine looking ride and tons of fun.;)

The second point that I would like to put out there is that I sure hope you can find a way to put it together so you can still run at ANRA races. With out getting into the fine points of tech, it would not be the same.:(

I know the cage is the whole tech problem and I want to pass on what I did to my first 3 point dragster that I had to convert to 5 point as I wanted it to look like original car. We removed the 3 point 1 5/8" cage and constructed a new 5 point 1 5/8" unit. To get the look we built the new 3 point a little deeper so my head was back inside a little more and when we added the front bar it was only 2" out at the top and 3" out at the bottom. When I put in head padding, I used the narrow 6 point stuff that is only on the inside edge of the bars and leaves most of the bar exposed.
    Even did the helmet bar the same way. With almost all of the tube open & painted it looked nice and clean and was not much different than the original 3 point. I am sure you will come up with a neat setup.

21. bobw

bobw

Two floats, eh? Two awards too. Way to go, Dick.

The two floats got me thinking...always a dangerous circumstance. Race the current car and start building the Owl.

BTW you get the Hambster Award for creative use of contractions.:D

22. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Go with your heart. You know what you want, build it how you want it.

Ya might want to get a set of T rails to make it a bit lighter. :p

23. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Got some ideas when your life gets back to normal. Meanwhile, sleep for a week or so.:D

24. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Well, I've given it some more thought (you should see the stack of scratch papers :rolleyes:), and I belive I'm close to going for it. :cool:

Bobw, as the car'll be built from the parts of the 'Brick, running one while building t'other'd be a bit of a challenge. :eek:
    Likely beyond my skill set, but I'll think it over. :D

Old28, that's pretty much the idea. I'll go with 1 3/4" cage, as that's the bender we have, and I like the older look of the fatter tubing. Likely go with a removable front hoop again (it worked out well last season), but make the joints less overt this time. I've designed a "stealth" version that's tested out as strong as the present one (which tested out as strong as a welded one).

Just for the record, my joint testing's an empiracal TTD that anyone can set up. I make up a joint in question, weld it securely to a steel table, then put my back into an 11lb sledge (from track impact angles) 'til it's gone.

440, I'll be by next week sometime. I'm looking to shorten the wheelbase (and perhaps the body as well, to some extent) as much as a couple feet in the process.
    Thinking around 100" or so target (124" presently).
    Haven't yet decided whether to move the nose over the front axle or to keep it behind. Likely wait to see the chassis done before making that call, as it's more a cosmetic thing.

25. Old28

Old28

I'm sure you will go through a full binder with ideas, but thats half the fun.:D

Still hope you can make the show at Bakersfield, Barona & The Del this year, I am trying to make most all if she runs OK.;)

26. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

"O" me like! :D

27. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

I love the idea Dick, I drew this up a long time ago..........

Attached Files:

28. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Oh yeah, I have your sketches on file. :cool:

You didn't get around to showing your cross member designs, or to listing your lateral weight dispersal, but your basic component layout's good.

Did you do any work on the rear end mods needed? My preliminary numbers came up wanting a 7" to 10" punkin offset to the right (I haven't narrowed it further as yet, still need to get some more accurate component weights).

29. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Stock early Jeep rear ends are about 10" offset and the early Dodge power wagon and Military M37 rears were offset also, (but very heavy), or you could use a front axle from a 4X4 turned around. Most are offset to the right, but I believe Ford offset theirs to the left so it would turn around well.

30. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

"O" no I was just dreamin' (notice the photo is named 'Pipeload" like i was on something HeHehe), your the man to figure it out :D