Register now to get rid of these ads!

Fly In-Drive Home, or 3800 miles in a Hotrod

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 37hotrod, May 7, 2012.

1. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

Good job, great story. I went from San Diego to Cleveland Ohio to pick up a 51 Packard once. We got on the plane with everything to re do the brakes and a tune up. (We worked at a parts store and this freed up money for gas). When the guy picked us up at the airport he laughed at us for not renting a truck and trailer,. The car was real nice but didnt run, or stop. We got it going and stopping, went to a local parts store and belts, hoses and fluid change we took off.
    It was a complete no drama trip. I'll do it again inna minnit.

a401cj likes this.
  2. Mount your own... Harbor Freight makes a perfectly adequate manual tire changer that usually sells for $49.:D

3. Davyj

Davyj

Great story, sweet looking ride, nice to have an adventure to talk about in the future.................thanks for sharing.

4. Ratbuilder

Ratbuilder
    from Indiana

Badass, wish I had time for a trip like that soon. I could read these all day.

5. Orlando1701

Orlando1701

Wait! Orlando is awesome, why would you want to leave? I think I know the vehicle you bought, I put a bid in on it also. I ended up getting a 50' Ford Sedan instead.

6. 60widewhitez

60widewhitez

Now THAT was a great story!

7. Heck yeah super good story - we're def. going to plan something like this ASAP

Thanks for sharing this.

8. very cool....thanks for sharing.

It certainly helped that you drove a sorted out car, owned by someone you trusted.

A little over a year ago, I debated on going to Oklahoma City to drive back a low mileage 66 F100 that had been stored for 7 years. I'm glad I decided to trailer it back home.

Within a couple hundred miles of driving, after I got it home, I blew a tire, the water pump puked, the gas tank was full of crud and kept clogging up the filter, a fitting broke on the fuel line where it meets the carb, and the list of minor irritations goes on.

It would've been a sucky trip back to Houston.

9. A23

A23
    from Hollywood

Great story!

And pretty ballsy considering you had a job interview to get back to.

Makes me want to gas up and hit the road...

10. I'm pretty sure you'll get over it! Just don't tear the car down between now and then![/QUOTE]

Too late for that! The car didn't spend a week in my garage before I started making some updates and changes to it. Nothing major, and certainly nothing that is going to keep it off the road for any length of time. Mostly just re-doing the "that's good enough for now" kinda stuff that happens to old hotrods. I'll post a thread with the changes as soon as I get a chance.

czuch likes this.
  11. Fenders

Fenders

Great story, Ive made part of that trip (FLA to Las Vegas) many times but not unfortunately in a hot rod...

Did you actually go over the Hoover Dam? I have but that was some years ago... aren't they redirecting traffic over the new bypass bridge?

12. brian55lvr

brian55lvr
    from ma

yes, i think he means ''over it''---great story

13. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great story & pix!!!----Thanks for sharing.---Reminds me of my first cross country adventure in 1972---But no chase car with parts!!

Attached Files:

14. hotrod_tommy

hotrod_tommy

YEAH !

Congrats and a great way to honor-in the car.
    Was it Ron Weeks in the blown-Olds chopped '34 sedan in the early 70s that did a cross-country for ROD & CUSTOM to prove the same thing - hots rods is for driving, baby!

Dig it.

HRT

15. Brandi

Brandi

Love it! I'm about to hit 10k miles on my roadster this summer and while I've gotten down the highway and two-laners, I'd LOVE to do a cross-country trip like that.

czuch likes this.
  16. Hot Rod Nut

Hot Rod Nut

Talk about Hot Rodden, doesen't get any better than that. Great story,I'm jealous

17. Just reread the whole thread again.
    Now I wanna go on a road trip.