Register now to get rid of these ads!

Fly in and Drive it home!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Baggs, Jul 5, 2011.

1. ratster

ratster

I bought this 57 Ford wagon for my son in 2001, he was 16. It was my first wife's dying wish for me to buy the wagon and give it to our son Josh, She wanted it painted black with flames, satin finish. so, i took the car to a buddies garage and sanded it down and painted it. we also lowered it while it was there. Had a kick ass sound system installed for the long ride to Tennessee. My brother radical56chevy on here picked the car up a few weeks before I flew out to Colorado. He replaced the brakes, u-joints and tires.Also changed the oil and made sure it was ready for the trip back to Tennessee.

I flew out to Colorado on a Monday and on the following Sunday drove the car back to Tennessee. Drove the car straight threw, 1350 miles. I didn't have any problems with the old wagon, good thing too, i didn't have any tools with me lol

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Josh the day i got to Tennessee, I timed it right he was just getting home from school, he was driving my roadster that day, he was trying to hide his smiles but couldn't.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  2. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

For me, it wasn't a fly out and drive home, but more of a vacation soveneriour. We were on vacation in the Denver area visiting my brother-in-law. As I was looking through their paper I came across an ad for a 69 Plymouth Fury convert. We had wanted a convert for a while, and the car was listed as a must sell. My brother-in law took me over to look at the car. It had a great body and was pretty sharp looking, so we wheeled & dealed and I bought it for $1100. I drove it to my brother-in-laws house where we replaced the fuel line, the points, and a few other things. We both deemed the car would make the 1400 or so mile trip home. The next morning, my wife and both kids drove our car home and I followed with the Fury. It was late September and the temp was in the 30s and I discovered there was no heat in the car. I had no way to communicate that info to the wife, so she kept cruising down the road. By the time she had to stop for gas, I was about froze.
    We also discovered the convert got a lot worse gas mileage then our car was getting, I was almost out of gas when she finally stopped. Any time I would try to pull up along side of her to siginal something to her, she thought she was driving too slow and sped up. Thank God for that gas stop. We went in to get something to eat (so I could warm up a little) and established a crude form of communication. We also determined she would follow me. I added a few extra layers of clothing, ave away we went. The rest of the trip was uneventful. We didn't like the convert after we had one, so I sold it the next spring for more money then I payed for it. Gene

3. HOLLYWQQD

HOLLYWQQD
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from central NY
    1. New York H.A.M.B.ers

flew in to chicago and drove this one home to new york last year , original 235 6 in it with a 3 spd on the column . no stereo , no tools , just me and the open road , BARELY any issues !!!

[​IMG]

here is a link to the original post from when i went!!
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=417737

4. First I really liked your tale wingnutz now my tale.
    I have this 66 vette & the wife complains about driving it . No p/s 4 speed so I tell her I can fix that all the while knowing I want a 57 bird. Saw an add in Hemmings & call the guy in New Mexico & he sez too late it's on its way to Va. He tells me he looked @ one from a museum & it is an E bird(dual 4s) really nice from a dealer in Santa Fe Springs Cal. I call,they send pics we come close on the price.Wife sez you won't be happy until you buy it so I get a oneway ticket to Ontario Cal & have my S-I-L pick me up. All I pack is a change of underwear,socks,razor & tooth brush. Go look @ the car the next day .It needs some tuneup & elec seat work. They agree I open the trunk & the rust is layered on the rear panel below the trunk lid. I mean thick. I tell them they need to repair it or discount the price, no deal so I leave only to have a problem getting a ticket back to Gasquet Cal. Three days later I get a ticket. We stop for fuel in Sacramento ,pilot goes in & checks in ,comes back & starts going thru startup procedure. Shuts the engines down & gets on the phone to have the fuel guy to come back & fill the damn plane up. We take off for Eureka only to find when we get there it is fogged in. After circling for for forever the pilot says if it is not clear we head back to Sacramento. Tower sez they have a couple 100 yards of clear if he wants to try it. Talk about a dive we went down like a lead sinker. BAM we hit the tarmac hard landing but we make it. They terminate the flight & are going to bus 6 or 7 big fat perfume laden old ladies & me to Crescent City. Like an idiot I let them get in first hoping to leave the front seat of the 9 passenger dodge van for me. HAW HAW HAW not happining I end up clear in the back of the bus with no windows & strong perfume oders. Oh what a headache. Just imagine tho if the pilot wasn't on the ball & had not ordered more fuel.
    Another time after getting Peggy her bird we were on americruise in the bird @ Omaha & decided to visit our daughter in Pa. While there I noticed the nationals in Louisville coming so we went down & I found a 32 roadster with all the brand name equipment that I was in the process of getting ready to build. Well close enough anyway & less money than I could build one for so I gave the guy a personal check on sunday morning ,he gave me a bill of sale a title & we left for Cal. by way of Branson. Didn't have a tool or spare but did have Peggy following in her bird. I used his plates all the way back & never got stopped, never had a problem & still haven't 85,000 miles later. Been across country coast to coast ,border to border & canada. Just got back from LARS a 3,000 mile trip. I've redone it a couple of times replacing the hood I lost in Tuba City Az, adding a 4L60 tranny w/swan neck shifter,banjo wheel,new carpet & power trunk ,new paint & wheels,BLC headlights, & bumper,& covered running boards but like a timex it just keeps on ticking.

5. Mercchev

Mercchev

Flew in to Ontario to pick up a 59 Chevy Panel Truck that "needed nothing" and was "road ready". 455 Olds, TH400, Ford 9 inch rear...He picks me up, we go over to the shop, and notice two bald tires on the front, no oil on the dipstick, and a can of starter fluid "because it's cold natured..."...Fine. We change (put in) oil, get it started, go buy two new llantas from the local mecanico, and rig up a jack and a small tool set, (just in case). Get to about Victorville when I smell something burning. Fluid from power steering reservoir has leaked all over the headers...Nice. Get that patched/filled back up, and head out. Stopped at most of the cool places on Route 66 to document the journey. Hmmm, every time I hit a bump, something is rattling back there...Look under the truck in the dark, can't see anything. Oh well, it's still running, right? North of Albuquerque, hear a hissing noise. Left front new tire is showing steel cord, right front just as bad. The Panel had a Volare front end installed that hadn't been to the alignment shop, so it was "wearing the tires a bit faster than expected"...another tidbit I had missed about it needing nothing..Quick stop at Walmart for two new tires (2nd set in two days), and off we go again. After making it back to Colorado, found two broken shock mounts and a trashed rear end. I knew I heard something back there, but it needed nothing and was road ready. :) Never could start it without starting fluid, no matter how the choke was rigged. Ah well, it was an adventure. Got a guy coming next week to drive home my 72 Eldorado Convertible...Keep trying to tell him it would be a good idea to tow it back to Canada, but he wants the adventure...OK, but I warned ya!

6. NuckinFutz

NuckinFutz
    from GA

Yalls ain't much better! EH! LOL! :D

7. tattedfordguy

tattedfordguy

I rode the train 90 miles to buy a vw bug back in the day i bought that car sight unseen for 2 grand and sold it a week later for 4500

8. hemifalcon

hemifalcon

ahhh.. long road trips are always soo much fun. I"ll be buying either an OT or possibly an 'on-topic' truck or big block car (with a tow hitch) in a few months when I fly out to California. Or, the Vegas or Phoenix area. The plan will be to get a tow vehicle, then drive to Cali to pick up the '41 Ford that I bought from 50Bomb on here. I'll load up the '41, then drive back to Illinois with the car--where it'll wait it's turn in the garage. The vehicle that I buy for the tow job will be advertised as a western car for sale then!!
    .. When I was in California before--I bought a few cars and took the long drive back to Illinois or Wisconsin--where the family lived at the time..

The first car was an '81 VW Dasher Diesel that I bought for $215 from an Auction in Oceanside, Ca--put new tires on it planning to have cheap transportation--and drove it 2100miles for a total of $86 in diesel (ran great--getting 46mpg).. Going through the mountains in Colorado was a little scary as that little 1.5L engine was blowing diesel so bad and the clutch started slipping--I was crawling up the shoulder at times along the interstate. Semi-trucks would go past me and their wind draft would help a little to get me going up the hill. I would have to really lay into the accelerator on the downslopes to get going back up again.. Finally made it to the flats in Denver and was going good until the far east side of "nothing to look at Iowa".. (Did I mention I was driving straight through while sleeping for an hour or so every now and then in the wagon?? OH, and it had no radio besides my CD Walkman which the batteries died in--and I was too cheap to buy more.. SO, nothing but the hum of the diesel engine in 4th gear and 55 MPH.) As I stated, no problems till the east side of Iowa.. the alternator light starts flickering.. Uhoh.. Well, it kept doing that on and off for the next couple hundred miles.. Figured that if it was off, then it was charging.. Well, I drove it like that while I was home on leave until it stayed on at night--and my headlights broke into a subtle glow.. I kept thinking--'a diesel doesn't need spark, I should be okay'.. Well, that logic didn't much work for driving at night or keeping the fuel from being shut off to the pump. Duh. I eventually limped it home to my mom's, and it ended up just needing the alternator rebuilt. 2 days later.. on the road again.. Until I accidentally filled it up with gas along the highway. I was used to seeing green pumps in California for diesel, and yeah--well, in Illinois that didn't mean anything.. Driving down the road--the engine started running rough--i mean just bangin away.. I think 'WTF'?? Well, i limped it back to my mom's again--and sniffing in the gas tank--I realize my fault. shiit.. I emptied the tank--and got it running-- and it seemed okay. Well, I left then from leave and my mom drove it back as it was going to stay at home for a 'leave vehicle'. She thought it was making some crazy sounds, and took it to a shop--they pulled the head off, found the #3 cylinder was shaped like an egg--and it sat like that for 5 years.. I sold it to a truck driver in Kansas or Texas who had huge plans (the car was exceptionally clean)--haven't heard from him... Yeah, that was an extended vehicle story.. The next one is more along this thread topic..

In January 2002, I had bought my currently owned '61 Biscayne from a guy in Sacramento, CA--problem, I didn't own a truck. SO, i fattened the pockets of the U-Haul CEO's and rented a pickup that just happened to have a hitch on the back --and I had a friend with a trailer.. So, i actually ended up buying the double axle trailer for $600, put some cheap used tires on it, and drove away.. Needless to say, the trailer didn't have any brakes as the lines were rusted out. Oh well--I hopped in the truck and took a buddy of mine, Angelo along for the ride. All went well the whole way up to Sacramento from Camp Pendleton to meet the guy. I didn't travel with any cash as I didn't want to feel compelled to buy the car until I saw it as I had soem deployment money burning a hole in my pocket. So, we get up to the guys house--and see the car.. Yup--looks just like it did in the pictures, $1000--deal. So, i head back into town to the bank, and get a cash advance on my credit card for the time being--and head back up the hill. Here's the funny part. I had put a cheap little hand winch on the trailer, but that didn't have enough guts to crank the '61 onto the trailer even with it the trailer and rear of the truck jacked way up.. So, the seller pulls out his '70ish Ford Wagon (big block powered, wood trim on the sides--super clean)--and we hook a chain to the underside of the '61. He lines up his wagon next to the truck, and he starts pulling, while we're pushing on the back.. The wheels on the back of the wagon break loose as he's pulling and he's smoking his tires as we're inching the car up the trailer.. We finally got it on the trailer, and strapped down.. We were all laughing, while my friend Angelo was also laughing and shaking his head thinking that i'm an idiot for buying this piece of shit. So, we loaded up, and drove all the way back down.. No problems. I parked the car in an outdoor storage lot for the next 2 years--checking on it frequently.

Now, this is turning into a car-story huh? So, I buy my next vehicle in 2003, a 1981 Silverado short fleetside. Great solid truck, with a wheezing 305 and automatic. I thought it'd be good enough to tow the '61 back home to Illinois-- Before I got too far, i realized that the truck was having a hard time just pulling the trailer. Yes- the dual axle trailer was a little too much for it apparently. Next comes the reality that for some reason, the ignition modules are only lasting 3 weeks at a time in the truck--WTF-?? I keep dealing with it, and the parts stores are starting to get fed up with warranteeing the things.. SO am I.. I put new tires, some 8" rally wheels on it--and drove it back to Illinois. I figured that I had about $2500 in the truck--when I got home--and left it there.. I told me dad to sell it if he could.. No problem--sold for $4500 two weeks later..

So-I still need to get the '61 back home (not to mention the 331 Hemi that I acquired for 300 bucks).. Perusing CL, with more money in my bank account-- I find a '90 Suburban in LA for $1500, barn doors in the back, 8-lug suspension, clean interior, and bingo--454.. I drive up with a friend to check it out--and it's cleeeeeeeen.. Sold.. I drive it back down to Oceanside--and realize that it's got some strange stalling issue.. Going down the freeway with cruise control on no less.. Well, i figure this out as the engine goes quiet, the gauges zero out, and the dash lights flicker.. But then all would be fine again in a second. I brush it off, and keep on driving back to the base.. I park it outside the base-as there are no stickers--and leave it for the night locked up. The thing seems great--other than the strange stalling deal..
    Anyway--two days later, and I have it at our shop--checking things out--it needs tires, but it's clean top, bottom, and inside. I get some new tires for it--and decide to drive it home 4 days later to Illinois. I go to the hobby shop, and have the old hemi forklifted into the back, as far as possible as the front wheels almost were coming off the ground with that elephant in the back. Then, I went and picked up the '61 after getting it back on the trailer. The next day--I set out--driving down to San Diego--and heading east. I took this route as I still had not traveled on the 40, and thought it'd be less 'hilly'.
    Well, I make it to Phoenix, trouble free, and head north. uhoh.. I realize that there are going to be mountains as I head north--and yup--I start slowing down in the hills.. Now--I'm hauling the '61, on a double axle trailer, no brakes, with a 750lb elephant in the back--I hope my brakes hold up more than the engine at this point. Needless to say--I'm not experencing any problems and I make it to the 40 and head east--doing well.. Fast forward to Elk City, Oklahoma... Great old Rt 66 town. Just past it, and the 'stalling' thing hapens again, followed by a 'skkkkrreaaaccchhhhhh ttthwack bang shiiiiitttt'. The volt meter crashes, the temp starts rising, and I have no power steering and the brakes are fighting me.. I fight to get the rig to the side of the road and stopped safely on the shoulder.. I put the dead 'burban in park--and get out to see what the hell just happened. I pop the hood and see the armature of the alternator has ground through the bearing and into the bottom portion of the alternator housing.. The serpentine belt is lying on top of the motor in shredded bits--and i'm WTF'ing the truck again.. Well, i determined that with the periodic 'stalling' of the truck, it was constanty loading the alternator with all the lights and equipment running, and it finally gave up. The reason why I find out--when checking under the 'burban on the side of the road--the solenoid housing on the starter was broken somehow, and the positive cable was losing it's connection randomly. ahhhhhhhhhh..

Well, i walk back to this house about 3/4 of a mile back--and luckily a woman answers the door really nicely--and allows me to use her phone after she hears my pitiful story. I laughed--so did she when she told me a friend of hers owns a shop in Elk City, a few miles back.. (mind you--this was a Sunday--) I didn't think I could get so lucky--but I was still holding my breath as I looked back and saw my rig on the side of the interstate.. Well, he freind answers--and he's got a heavy duty tow truck, he'd be glad to help.. Well, I thank her, and walk back.. When I am waiting-- I sat in the drivers seat and thought how much it was gonna cost-- and while pondering, i began to open the door thinking I'd get out to check the car's straps and whatnot.. Well, in opening the door-- a semi-blows past me in the slow lane, rips the door from my grip and fully opens the door.. Yup--completely--door handle damn near touches the front fender. Well, needless to say--the suburban wasn't perfect any more-- I was able to get the door bent back, then shut after slamming it a few times-- just before the tow truck driver showed.. He arrives, and I tell him of my dilemma.. We both laugh, and he says he can haul me back to his shop.. Great--he tows the whole rig, suburban and trailer back to his shop.. We get back to his shop--we pull the suburban inside-- he evidently dealt with a lot of broken down semi-trucks-- and we assessed the problem. We figured that a new alternator was needed, and a new starter solenoid if it was replaceable, otherwise a new starter. We run to the AutoZone--luckily it was open--and they had both parts. I pay the cashier--and we were on our way back.. Got back to the shop--installed the starter, alternator, and new belt--and I'm back in business.. I ask him what I owed him and he was not going to charge me anything!!!!! I'm like--'no way--i'm going to pay you'.. So, i gave him $200 for his help--and I had him charge my card for the tow--which was only like $80.. (I think they were dealing in the prices from back when Rt 66 was still the main thoroughfare!!!!)
    So, thankfully, this got me back on the road--
    I was doing great as I got into Missouri in the month of November--and I stopped for the night to get some much needed rest. I woke up and it was about 18degrees in the suburban, and my sleeping bag was malfunctioning and my bladder was going to explode. I got out of the sub after starting it and went into the rest area bathroom, teeth-a-chattering to get some relief.. I ran back out--waited for the temperature to rise.. and got on the interstate again..
    Well, just as I got into the middle of Illinois, headed north--I started experiencing a new issue--low power, and some stumbling of the engine.. SHITTTT.. I'm almost home!
    Well, i make it to my mom's house--and after some thoughts I go to the parts store and get a new fuel filter.. I swap it in the road in front of my mom's--and I struck gold.. I think that filter hadn't been changed in the 130k miles of the suburban's life--and my continued runs into the 'empty' on gas probably didn't help any. So--all was good again..

I left the suburban at home again--after selling it to my dad for twice what I paid for it.. He offered-I didn't try to turn him down. He was happy to have a super nice California 'Burban with no rust--and no problems other than the popped drivers door. Well, he drove it for a while--and had it for sale in front of the house until one night when he came home from playing pool--and it was gone. He thought that maybe my brother had taken it for something--until he came home--without it.. Turned out--someone wanted that 'California Suburban' really bad.. And they stole it..
    Bummer..

That's the end of the story finally.. Not exactly a fly-in drive out story by any means.. But, still a car buying adventure.. Hope this doesn't read too poorly!

Looking forward to the trip to pick up the '41!

9. hemifalcon

hemifalcon

ahhh.. long road trips are always soo much fun. I"ll be buying either an OT or possibly an 'on-topic' truck or big block car (with a tow hitch) in a few months when I fly out to California. Or, the Vegas or Phoenix area. The plan will be to get a tow vehicle, then drive to Cali to pick up the '41 Ford that I bought from 50Bomb on here. I'll load up the '41, then drive back to Illinois with the car--where it'll wait it's turn in the garage. The vehicle that I buy for the tow job will be advertised as a western car for sale then!!
    .. When I was in California before--I bought a few cars and took the long drive back to Illinois or Wisconsin--where the family lived at the time..

The first car was an '81 VW Dasher Diesel that I bought for $215 from an Auction in Oceanside, Ca--put new tires on it planning to have cheap transportation--and drove it 2100miles for a total of $86 in diesel (ran great--getting 46mpg).. Going through the mountains in Colorado was a little scary as that little 1.5L engine was blowing diesel so bad and the clutch started slipping--I was crawling up the shoulder at times along the interstate. Semi-trucks would go past me and their wind draft would help a little to get me going up the hill. I would have to really lay into the accelerator on the downslopes to get going back up again.. Finally made it to the flats in Denver and was going good until the far east side of "nothing to look at Iowa".. (Did I mention I was driving straight through while sleeping for an hour or so every now and then in the wagon?? OH, and it had no radio besides my CD Walkman which the batteries died in--and I was too cheap to buy more.. SO, nothing but the hum of the diesel engine in 4th gear and 55 MPH.) As I stated, no problems till the east side of Iowa.. the alternator light starts flickering.. Uhoh.. Well, it kept doing that on and off for the next couple hundred miles.. Figured that if it was off, then it was charging.. Well, I drove it like that while I was home on leave until it stayed on at night--and my headlights broke into a subtle glow.. I kept thinking--'a diesel doesn't need spark, I should be okay'.. Well, that logic didn't much work for driving at night or keeping the fuel from being shut off to the pump. Duh. I eventually limped it home to my mom's, and it ended up just needing the alternator rebuilt. 2 days later.. on the road again.. Until I accidentally filled it up with gas along the highway. I was used to seeing green pumps in California for diesel, and yeah--well, in Illinois that didn't mean anything.. Driving down the road--the engine started running rough--i mean just bangin away.. I think 'WTF'?? Well, i limped it back to my mom's again--and sniffing in the gas tank--I realize my fault. shiit.. I emptied the tank--and got it running-- and it seemed okay. Well, I left then from leave and my mom drove it back as it was going to stay at home for a 'leave vehicle'. She thought it was making some crazy sounds, and took it to a shop--they pulled the head off, found the #3 cylinder was shaped like an egg--and it sat like that for 5 years.. I sold it to a truck driver in Kansas or Texas who had huge plans (the car was exceptionally clean)--haven't heard from him... Yeah, that was an extended vehicle story.. The next one is more along this thread topic..

In January 2002, I had bought my currently owned '61 Biscayne from a guy in Sacramento, CA--problem, I didn't own a truck. SO, i fattened the pockets of the U-Haul CEO's and rented a pickup that just happened to have a hitch on the back --and I had a friend with a trailer.. So, i actually ended up buying the double axle trailer for $600, put some cheap used tires on it, and drove away.. Needless to say, the trailer didn't have any brakes as the lines were rusted out. Oh well--I hopped in the truck and took a buddy of mine, Angelo along for the ride. All went well the whole way up to Sacramento from Camp Pendleton to meet the guy. I didn't travel with any cash as I didn't want to feel compelled to buy the car until I saw it as I had soem deployment money burning a hole in my pocket. So, we get up to the guys house--and see the car.. Yup--looks just like it did in the pictures, $1000--deal. So, i head back into town to the bank, and get a cash advance on my credit card for the time being--and head back up the hill. Here's the funny part. I had put a cheap little hand winch on the trailer, but that didn't have enough guts to crank the '61 onto the trailer even with it the trailer and rear of the truck jacked way up.. So, the seller pulls out his '70ish Ford Wagon (big block powered, wood trim on the sides--super clean)--and we hook a chain to the underside of the '61. He lines up his wagon next to the truck, and he starts pulling, while we're pushing on the back.. The wheels on the back of the wagon break loose as he's pulling and he's smoking his tires as we're inching the car up the trailer.. We finally got it on the trailer, and strapped down.. We were all laughing, while my friend Angelo was also laughing and shaking his head thinking that i'm an idiot for buying this piece of shit. So, we loaded up, and drove all the way back down.. No problems. I parked the car in an outdoor storage lot for the next 2 years--checking on it frequently.

Now, this is turning into a car-story huh? So, I buy my next vehicle in 2003, a 1981 Silverado short fleetside. Great solid truck, with a wheezing 305 and automatic. I thought it'd be good enough to tow the '61 back home to Illinois-- Before I got too far, i realized that the truck was having a hard time just pulling the trailer. Yes- the dual axle trailer was a little too much for it apparently. Next comes the reality that for some reason, the ignition modules are only lasting 3 weeks at a time in the truck--WTF-?? I keep dealing with it, and the parts stores are starting to get fed up with warranteeing the things.. SO am I.. I put new tires, some 8" rally wheels on it--and drove it back to Illinois. I figured that I had about $2500 in the truck--when I got home--and left it there.. I told me dad to sell it if he could.. No problem--sold for $4500 two weeks later..

So-I still need to get the '61 back home (not to mention the 331 Hemi that I acquired for 300 bucks).. Perusing CL, with more money in my bank account-- I find a '90 Suburban in LA for $1500, barn doors in the back, 8-lug suspension, clean interior, and bingo--454.. I drive up with a friend to check it out--and it's cleeeeeeeen.. Sold.. I drive it back down to Oceanside--and realize that it's got some strange stalling issue.. Going down the freeway with cruise control on no less.. Well, i figure this out as the engine goes quiet, the gauges zero out, and the dash lights flicker.. But then all would be fine again in a second. I brush it off, and keep on driving back to the base.. I park it outside the base-as there are no stickers--and leave it for the night locked up. The thing seems great--other than the strange stalling deal..
    Anyway--two days later, and I have it at our shop--checking things out--it needs tires, but it's clean top, bottom, and inside. I get some new tires for it--and decide to drive it home 4 days later to Illinois. I go to the hobby shop, and have the old hemi forklifted into the back, as far as possible as the front wheels almost were coming off the ground with that elephant in the back. Then, I went and picked up the '61 after getting it back on the trailer. The next day--I set out--driving down to San Diego--and heading east. I took this route as I still had not traveled on the 40, and thought it'd be less 'hilly'.
    Well, I make it to Phoenix, trouble free, and head north. uhoh.. I realize that there are going to be mountains as I head north--and yup--I start slowing down in the hills.. Now--I'm hauling the '61, on a double axle trailer, no brakes, with a 750lb elephant in the back--I hope my brakes hold up more than the engine at this point. Needless to say--I'm not experencing any problems and I make it to the 40 and head east--doing well.. Fast forward to Elk City, Oklahoma... Great old Rt 66 town. Just past it, and the 'stalling' thing hapens again, followed by a 'skkkkrreaaaccchhhhhh ttthwack bang shiiiiitttt'. The volt meter crashes, the temp starts rising, and I have no power steering and the brakes are fighting me.. I fight to get the rig to the side of the road and stopped safely on the shoulder.. I put the dead 'burban in park--and get out to see what the hell just happened. I pop the hood and see the armature of the alternator has ground through the bearing and into the bottom portion of the alternator housing.. The serpentine belt is lying on top of the motor in shredded bits--and i'm WTF'ing the truck again.. Well, i determined that with the periodic 'stalling' of the truck, it was constanty loading the alternator with all the lights and equipment running, and it finally gave up. The reason why I find out--when checking under the 'burban on the side of the road--the solenoid housing on the starter was broken somehow, and the positive cable was losing it's connection randomly. ahhhhhhhhhh..

Well, i walk back to this house about 3/4 of a mile back--and luckily a woman answers the door really nicely--and allows me to use her phone after she hears my pitiful story. I laughed--so did she when she told me a friend of hers owns a shop in Elk City, a few miles back.. (mind you--this was a Sunday--) I didn't think I could get so lucky--but I was still holding my breath as I looked back and saw my rig on the side of the interstate.. Well, he freind answers--and he's got a heavy duty tow truck, he'd be glad to help.. Well, I thank her, and walk back.. When I am waiting-- I sat in the drivers seat and thought how much it was gonna cost-- and while pondering, i began to open the door thinking I'd get out to check the car's straps and whatnot.. Well, in opening the door-- a semi-blows past me in the slow lane, rips the door from my grip and fully opens the door.. Yup--completely--door handle damn near touches the front fender. Well, needless to say--the suburban wasn't perfect any more-- I was able to get the door bent back, then shut after slamming it a few times-- just before the tow truck driver showed.. He arrives, and I tell him of my dilemma.. We both laugh, and he says he can haul me back to his shop.. Great--he tows the whole rig, suburban and trailer back to his shop.. We get back to his shop--we pull the suburban inside-- he evidently dealt with a lot of broken down semi-trucks-- and we assessed the problem. We figured that a new alternator was needed, and a new starter solenoid if it was replaceable, otherwise a new starter. We run to the AutoZone--luckily it was open--and they had both parts. I pay the cashier--and we were on our way back.. Got back to the shop--installed the starter, alternator, and new belt--and I'm back in business.. I ask him what I owed him and he was not going to charge me anything!!!!! I'm like--'no way--i'm going to pay you'.. So, i gave him $200 for his help--and I had him charge my card for the tow--which was only like $80.. (I think they were dealing in the prices from back when Rt 66 was still the main thoroughfare!!!!)
    So, thankfully, this got me back on the road--
    I was doing great as I got into Missouri in the month of November--and I stopped for the night to get some much needed rest. I woke up and it was about 18degrees in the suburban, and my sleeping bag was malfunctioning and my bladder was going to explode. I got out of the sub after starting it and went into the rest area bathroom, teeth-a-chattering to get some relief.. I ran back out--waited for the temperature to rise.. and got on the interstate again..
    Well, just as I got into the middle of Illinois, headed north--I started experiencing a new issue--low power, and some stumbling of the engine.. SHITTTT.. I'm almost home!
    Well, i make it to my mom's house--and after some thoughts I go to the parts store and get a new fuel filter.. I swap it in the road in front of my mom's--and I struck gold.. I think that filter hadn't been changed in the 130k miles of the suburban's life--and my continued runs into the 'empty' on gas probably didn't help any. So--all was good again..

I left the suburban at home again--after selling it to my dad for twice what I paid for it.. He offered-I didn't try to turn him down. He was happy to have a super nice California 'Burban with no rust--and no problems other than the popped drivers door. Well, he drove it for a while--and had it for sale in front of the house until one night when he came home from playing pool--and it was gone. He thought that maybe my brother had taken it for something--until he came home--without it.. Turned out--someone wanted that 'California Suburban' really bad.. And they stole it..
    Bummer..

That's the end of the story finally.. Not exactly a fly-in drive out story by any means.. But, still a car buying adventure.. Hope this doesn't read too poorly!

Looking forward to the trip to pick up the '41!

10. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Did something like that, 2660 plane trips that I didnt come back on........or land with.........

Doc.

11. uc4me

uc4me

Why not fedex or ups the tools to the seller before you leave?

12. Gman0046

Gman0046

Graham M, folks from Georgia, Kentucky and Missouri don't have accents. We speak American English. To me Canadian accents are the ones who are comical, eh. BTW, you are the one coming to our states. As far as I'm concerned you can stay north of the border.

13. outlaw256

outlaw256

you should hear what we say about the way yall talk.

14. Baggs

Baggs

WOW!! someone doesnt like us northerner's!!!! this isnt a border battle thread. lets keep it on topic guys......

15. brad2v

brad2v

Because there's a 16 year-olds brain rattling around in my 40 year-old cranium, and I don't think that far ahead, that's why :D I fly out saturday morning.

16. alittle1

alittle1

brad2v
    Don't forget to pack a baloney sandwich. These road trips aren't for the faint of heart. Longest trip you made since you went to Olds College, eh! Just remember the USBS needs 72 hours prior to crossing to inspect the Title, and the Canadian Border services need $206. for a vehicle inspection.

17. brad2v

brad2v

Thanks, been on a bunch of road trips, just never in a 48 year-old car that I've never seen :eek:. Cars over 15 years old are exempt from the RIV fees. Just gotta pay the GST.

18. Brad why not buy the tools from H F in san diego or a pawn shop. Should be plenty there. There is always A Z & you could return them if they aren't broke.

19. brad2v

brad2v

I've sure thought of that. I spent about 2 hours packing a bag last night, ransacking my regular road 'box. There's nothing in there that I'm married to, so if flies to Winnipeg while I'm on the way to San Diego, I won't cry, or lose it on anyone.

20. wearymicrobe

wearymicrobe
    from San Diego

If you need anything in t6own tool wise just PM me and you can use my garage if its something small. I came down to SD for a convention with my father 12 years ago and never left, its that nice.

Longest trip for me was Michigan to San Diego in a Prowler (so not a HAMB friendly car)

21. brad2v

brad2v

Thanks man, I think that's my wife's biggest worry, that I get there and don't leave :D
    BTW, I'll try to stay off of here a while, now that I've totally hi-jacked Baggs' thread.

22. Never flew in and drove, but I have gone and flat-towed on a towbar some clunkers that probably should have been on a trailer.

Probably the best of those is a '48 Hudson I got from the junkyard and literally saved from the crusher - there was a rougher '50 that got squashed as I was hooking onto the '48. No motor, no trans, no front clip, but a decent body and what I paid for it it would bring me back across the scale now. Had to air up some tires there in the junkyard; one I stuck in for a spare went BOOM a little bit after I set it inside, so I threw it back out. Get half a mile down the road and I had to crawl under to disconnect the driveshaft that was still in it. Then I went 125 miles with it, down the interstate - and not a single problem.

My old Suburban with a 350 was a good puller, only the steepest hills would slow me down and then only if I had more than 5000 lbs behind me. Which I did a few times. There's probably a reason I went through three sets of disc brake pads in 50,000 miles.

23. NuckinFutz

NuckinFutz
    from GA

I love this thread! I love the stories. I was telling the wife about it and showed her a few. She says" Its about time for us to do it again. "
    Brad,
    Good luck man! Enjoy the trip!

24. Hahaha... my friend with the Airborn Rangers "Fly in and Walk home" about that many times!

My wife went with me to pick up a 54 Porsche Speedster... we drove to the East coast and made it a vacation and an Anniversary trip. Along the way we went to the Smithsonian, Nations Capitol saw all the monuments, went to New York city for a play and shopping also caught a "Letterman Show" before driving to upper NY State for the car.

She really enjoyed that part of the trip... But when we picked up the U-haul trailer and the Speedster it turned into a "Grueling Marathon"... we drove straight through and hit every major traffic jam from New York to Chicago and even got stuck in Milwaukee... and she wasn't a happy camper after that!;)

I wasn't expecting this nice of a car for what I paid but it did sit in the garage for 25+ years!

Photo's are all failing to upload... "PLEASE STAND BY"...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 26, 2011
  25. 54Mercruiser

54Mercruiser

My buddy sold his 77 Toyota Corolla limo (yes limo..60" stretch..lol), bagged, shaved, flamed paint, on Mautofied.com. The guy that bought was from Brooklyn I think, he flew in to Austin, drove to Fort Worth, picked it up and drove it back to Austin and then onto New York.

I miss that car, since I was it's official "driver"..lol

26. Baggs

Baggs

great stories guys!! i never thought this thread would grow as fast as it has!!!!

27. Baggs

Baggs

its all good! adds to the interest in the thread!

28. mysteryman

mysteryman
    from atlanta

just flew into chicago's midway monday the 4th landed no luggage.they put on wrong plane they delivered it next day.delta charges $25.00 up to 50 pounds for luggage

29. HopFrog

HopFrog
    from no where

Weeeeell... This is not exactly going far to get a vehicle but...

I want to tell the story anyway because it WAS an adventure of a life time and a few good lessons were learned getting to the point of buying a vehicle at a public auction.

A friend of mine was a retired Deputy in San Bernadino County and he had a gig doing funeral escorting. In So Cal we have private escort services that contract to the funeral homes. There are 4 escort services that I know of in L.A. and Orange County & 2 in S.B. County. If you look in the mirror and see a brown shirt on a cop bike, double check the ferring lights, they will be amber or yellow. not red or blue... step on it, it's not a cop. Unless it is a cop, but they couldn't care less when they are on their funeral bikes. I think about 40% are retired or part time cops making a buck. Soooooo, He gets me into riding funerals and making $50 a gig. Not bad for 1 to 2 hours work. He let me ride a spare bike till I could afford one.

I went to several auctions in City of Industry and learned how to bid on a bike. He told me not to worry if it doesn't run because it's just been sitting in the rain and the connections are a tad corroded. They are heavily maintained and if they're actually broken they use them for parts bikes or sell them for scrap. If it's at the auction and has smashed forks or something, the engine runs. Also watch for the movie industry guys, they bid high because they have a big budget. He said to go several times and mentally bid so you can learn to watch the other bidders. It can get frantic. You have to have a ceiling and stick to it! some of the bikes went for 2 or 3 Thousand!

When I saw this one little gem from City of Downey PD in the pre-auction inspection, it didn't start. People were mumbling and walking to the next bike. No one seemed that interested in this one. It was a 1984 Kawasaki Police 1000. It had 42K miles and was only 4 years old with a starting bid of $900. The ones that ran started at $1,000. I kept looking at it because it was in really good shape. The fairing was pristine and the paint was perfect, I couldn't find a scratch on it. With a gut full of butterflies I waited for the bid. It opened up at $900 and quickly went to $1,300. I bid 1,325 and the auctioneer was doing his rapid fire gibberish. He went around the group standing there a couple times and I held up my card at 1,350 and realized I just upped my own bid!!! YIKES!!! I can laugh about it now :/

It didn't matter because there were a few more bids (whew, lol). I won the bike at $1,450 and that was going to be my last bid. $1,400 was my ceiling, but I really wanted THIS bike and pushed it an extra few bucks. I learned to use a poker face and show "I'm wearing a money belt" confidence. The other guy shook his head and walked away. Yea me!

When they pushed it over to the exit gate that guy asked me where my trailer was. "What trailer"... I was still having major gut wrenching because if it didn't start I'd have to go rent a trailer and come back. They give you until noon the next day to remove the vehicle or you pay a big fee out of your refunded money and they keep the bike for the next auction; harsh!

My dad took me down in his Datsun Roadster (on my gallery) and we hooked the battery up to jumper cables with his engine shut off. A good way to fry a motor cycle system is to hit it with a 40 amp car alternator. I just let the big battery put some charge on the little bike battery while I set to disconnecting different things. I removed the side cover and pulled all the connectors. The same under the flip up seat. Then plugged in everything, wiggling each plug a few times to scrape the corrosion and make good contact.

I tried the lights and signals. almost everything worked. The turn signals worked and that would get me home. The only lights missing were the red and blue lights in the fairing. I turned the key on all the way and hit the starter; it turned over. I pulled the choke all the way out, hit the key and it roared to life. I thought the guy would come over and accuse me of sabotaging the bike before the auction lol. I never saw him again. I put on my helmet and drove up the street.

My dad was watching how the bike tracked going up the blvd. He gave me a thumbs up and away we went heading to the 605 freeway. I took it easy until I got to the 210, then I picked up speed heading into Pasadena. I was going about 72 when I went through Sierra Madre. Dad was close behind. I was in the fast lane and traffic was moving over after looking in the mirror lol. Boy the looks I got when I pulled along side and they saw the bike had no markings and I had a t-shirt on. This was the 55 days.

Here's a little OT to finish off the story. I drove that bike into the ground, rebuilt the top end at 75K miles and drove it another year. L.A. had a pretty bad recession in 1990 and I gave up escorting. Guys with 14 years seniority were getting 15 rides a month instead of the 2 to 3 a day. I sold it to another escort for parts. It had 90K+ miles on it. Hard, concrete freeway miles. I rode from Ventura to San Bernadino on it for services... at 72 MPH.

It sure loved that speed; 72. I had it up to 122 one night at 3 in the morning on a str8 stretch for about 5 miles. That's when I hit the engine's power band at 7,000 RPM and slipped the clutch. I had to take it easy on the throttle. Crap, I didn't know that thing had a 7-8,000 RPM power band!?!? Man, it got quiet! That engine was probably breathing right for the first time in it's life. I never took it over 6K! One of the retired motor officers in my company confirmed that the next day. He just laughed and said "That all you got out of it? Those bikes are good for 140" YIKES again! I've been told my rear tire was slipping and wasn't really doing that fast. I just point to the speedo cable going into the front wheel hub.

Oh, and you can see it in the movie "Peacemaker" 1989 with Robert Forester, Lance Edwards and Hillery Sheppard (Sybil's little sister). It's just in one scene they forgot to shoot and gave me $200 to rent it for an hour. I was in Transportation on the movie and rode the bike to work a few times so they knew I had it.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it :D

Last edited: Jul 17, 2011
  30. alchemy

alchemy

I didn't do it, but the guy who bought my car did.

Had a '39 Chevy tudor (350/350, 10-bolt, MII) for sale ten years ago and a fella in Montana just had to have it. He saw the ad in StreetScene and called to say he'd take it. I had to stop his excited babble just to tell him about the car. He said he'd be on a plane the next weekend to pick it up.

The next weekend we drove through the worst rainstorm I've ever driven in to get to the Des Moines airport. But by the time we reached it the sun was shining like nothing had ever happened. We entered the airport and Stan the one-legged man was already there waiting for us.

We walk out to the car in the lot and he throws his bag in and we exchange paperwork. Again I have to slow him down a bit to explain the car to him, as he's ready to go. Show him all the switches and whatnot, but he say's he's got plenty of time to figger all that out. He hops in, adjusts the seat a little, starts it up, and backs out thanking us.

He was in such a hurry to get out of there that we were a little nervous, and made sure we deposited the money order on the way home. It was good.

Stan called later in the week to say he really liked the car and had no problems on the long trip. I guess if you "think" you'll have no problems, the car may just have to agree with you.