Register now to get rid of these ads!

flux core welding ???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rev. munster, Apr 7, 2010.

1. rev. munster

rev. munster
    from houston,tx

Buddy from work gave me a 90amp flux core welder from harbor frieght
    Can it be used for body panels ? I hear diff answers ! So Has anyone used one on their ride and have some advice and wisdom to throw my way
    Thanks

2. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

If that's what you got, why not? I use Flux core on my body panels all the time, it just gets ground down anyway. Gas would be a lot nicer though.

3. brpowel4

brpowel4

i use flux core welder on some of my panels. i have a Lincoln Mig 140. I have to turn it all the way down, even the wire speed. i had some blow thrus but not much. i sometime used cooking spray to reduce the splatter from sticking and i welded on the inside of the panels. It penetrated all the way through and i had to do minimal grinding on the outside.

Someone let me use a gas bottle and it was much easier.

Bryan

4. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

how small of a wire can you get in flux core?

I never used it on body panels. used it a lot in construction.

I guess if that is what is available to you go for it. gas is much better though

5. davidwilson

davidwilson
    from Tennessee

stitch welding is your friend on panels

6. If it is gas / gas less type welder, the work leads need to be reversed for flux core, plug the negative - into the positive + socket on the welder. – so the earth lead in the +.<o></o>
    <o>
    </o> Hint- gets some copper plumbing pipe and flatten it (about 6inches flat and leave 4 inches round for a handle) use this behind the weld to help stop blow through- works great for filling holes to. The weld wont stick to the copper.

.<o></o>

7. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

Ive used flux for years, just now (finally) about to upgrade to get a gas bottle after saying Im going to do it for 10 years. I will say is that learn how to really neatly weld with flux core, and you will be amazed and what clean welds you can produce when you switch over to mig.

8. johnnie

johnnie
    from indiana

I have one of those cheap welders too. Also have one for gas/gas-less. I suppose I should get some gas, huh?