Register now to get rid of these ads!

Fluid Capacities on a 1950 Merc?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by isellhd2u, May 6, 2012.

1. isellhd2u

isellhd2u

Hello to all of you in the H.A.M.B. world!
    I am asking to pick your knowledge because I cant seem to find the info I am looking for! I own a 1950 Mercury 4 door and I have 2 questions...
    1. I have a 3 speed manual transmission...What is the recommended fluid and what is the capacity?
    2. I would like to know what the recommended fluid is and the capacity in the rear end?
    Any help would be appreciated thank you!

2. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

I used 20/50w gear oil in my 55 Ford . Just fill till it comes out the plug hole !

Retro Jim

3. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Canadian Service Data book says, for 1950 Mercury,

Manual trans- 3 - 3 1/2 lbs. EP80, summer and winter.

Rear axle - 2 1/2 lbs EP90, summer and winter.

4. rotorwrench

rotorwrench

Mild EP SAE 80 is near impossible to find. Most straight grades are hard to find in gear lubes any more. In a pinch, if you know any one in the aviation business, you can purchase Aeroshell 100 straight mineral motor oil for your trans. It is SAE-50 100-grade motor oil that is the same viscosity as SAE 90 gear lube and has no Heavy EP additives. You can use SAE 85W90 in the rear axle or use SAE 85W140 in warmer climates. It's a hypoid so extra pressure additives will be right at home in there.

Lubriplate still produces GL-1 lubricants in their SPO series on straight grades. Many bearing shops distribute there products or check Restoration Supply Co. The GL-5 gear lube additives are harsh on the yellow metal used in the old transmission synchros and bushings.