Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Flowmaster HP2 vs FX

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fabulous50's, Feb 27, 2021.

1. Fabulous50's

Fabulous50's
    from Maine

Anyone have experience with the FX or HP2 mufflers on their rides?

The FX looks like a stainless glass pack and I'd guess has similar sound, which I think would drone in my custom.

The space I have is way at the back for a muffler, so I'm not sure how that would affect the sound either.

All the clips I find of them is on late model stuff with cats. Not older vehicles.

2. hepme

hepme

Just put the fx's on a 55 chevy sedan-full length pipe all the way out the back with the muff located at the front of the axle-got the 25" ones i think. Had a set of glasspaks. Totally love the fx sound, very quiet running and a nice idle sound. Its a two chamber muffler, not anything like a glasspak.

loudbang and Fabulous50's like this.
  3. 55blacktie

55blacktie

I'm not familiar with all of the Flowmaster mufflers, but those I have heard sound better in an exhaust system with cats. Without cats, they have a metallic sound, not unlike marbles rattling around inside a can.

Fabulous50's and Blues4U like this.
  4. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Don't forget the 18" wheels and rubber band tires to go with them....

5. Fabulous50's

Fabulous50's
    from Maine

These are not the chaimbered flowmaster. I do not care for that metallic sound either. These are a type of packed muffler, which is why I asked. More of a Borla type. But I dont really know, as I haven't seen one in person.

6. 55blacktie

55blacktie

7. 55blacktie

55blacktie

I bought 2 1/4 Borla Pro XS mufflers and Borla resonators, but not yet installed. I read reviews/comparisons. Although a straight-through design, reviews say they're quieter than Magnaflows. I want efficient, not annoyingly loud. I have room to put mufflers in place of resonators, which Borla says would be even quieter, but I'm thinking the resonators will reduce possibility of drone. The resonators cost as much/more than the mufflers.

8. Fabulous50's

Fabulous50's
    from Maine

The Super HP2 is supposed to be aimed at the hot rod and vintage market.

They are about $150 each, so I wasnt really keen on getting two and finding out they drone inside that cab, or are way too quiet!

9. 55blacktie

55blacktie

A good exhaust tone doesn't have to be deafeningly loud.

flatheadpete and Fabulous50's like this.
  10. chop&drop

chop&drop

I used 2-1/4” HP2’s on my Deuce tudor and was very happy with the sound and performance. Never had any drone issues. I’ve now got them on the Deuce 5 window I’m building.

loudbang and Fabulous50's like this.
  11. Fabulous50's

Fabulous50's
    from Maine

Did you use the short or the longer one?

I think the short is 12" body, and the long is 16" or 18"....

12. chop&drop

chop&drop

I used the 18”

13. SNS FAB

SNS FAB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I used the HP2's on a '32 I built for customer. They had a real nice sound to them. He liked them so much, I put them on three of his other cars. HOWARD BARTON'S '32 FORD (64).jpg

triumph 1 likes this.