Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Florida Man Breaks Rules

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Jun 22, 2022.

1. bangngears

bangngears
    from ofallon mo

i had a thread deleted for EFI i had on my 39. WTF?

Tman likes this.
  2. thark

thark
    from Oklahoma

anthony myrick likes this.
  3. Was so excited to see this car show up at the Custom Car Revival last year. I had seen teaser pics on IG...mostly of the Mickey Seats interior. It did not disappoint. Fabulous car from all angles, from one seamless modification to the next. One of those cars you hang the picture of in your garage as inspiration and level to shoot towards.

Sancho likes this.
  4. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Your thread was deleted because we don't focus on EFI cars here. I made an exception on this car because I liked the the ideas that went into the styling, the photography, etc... It all just sort of worked out for me.

hrm2k likes this.
  5. Will EFI looking carbs get the slide like late model transmissions?
    :)

Tman likes this.
  6. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

The slide? No.

One of the worst parts of running a forum is dealing with different interpretations of situations and circumstances. Most of your audience is coming from one perspective - their own. Meanwhile, I'm dealing with my own while also trying to balance that of my audiences' many multiples. It's a headache... and if I tackle that as an on and off switch, I get bored, frustrated, and sometimes hostile.

So, I just don't...

I think most people will be able to see this car for what it is and if they've been around long enough, they probably know that while I wouldn't put EFI on a car, I'm not really into disparaging cars in general. I could have easily not shown images of the engine bay on this one... Maybe I should have gone that way.

But honestly, if that EFI is what sticks out on this one - you probably aren't who I am writing for anyway... Such a tiny pimple on a perfect ass.

7. I think the sniper is a PERFECT addition in this day and age for a highway cruiser. And the car is so well executed I don't think it takes a single damn thing away from it. From the body mods to the stance to the interior, just perfect execution.

drdave and anthony myrick like this.
  8. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I don't even know what a sniper is... I'd much prefer to see a row of Strombergs and think dealing and figuring those complexities is half the fun of owning and driving these cars. I think that's a big reason as to why I'm drawn to traditional cars - if it's an old car, it should you give you that experience.

Still, such a small detail here... It doesn't bother me or take much from the car at all... To me, it's *almost* asinine that it's been discussed so much. Almost... because... well... I love and appreciate that passion for keeping shit how it should be. :)

hrm2k and Hillbilly Werewolf like this.
  9. A pimple don’t slow me down neither does some cottage cheese flab. I see neither as negative (the pimple or the EFI). Was wondering if there had been a forum change.
    That car is the bees knees
    It only sticks out being featured here as similar has been hammered by the bosses. Kinda like seeing a pecker in a playboy:):) But this ain’t my yard or football.
    I’ll probably run one in the current build.(EFI not a pecker)

Last edited: Jun 23, 2022
    Just Gary and Tman like this.
  10. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

I just thought the carb adapter was slick as hell. And the rest of the car ain't bad either.;) Anthony, there will be no more talk about P@#$%^s in this forum unless they are wood. :D

11. Heck I was excited to see it (not a pecker)

had my fingers crossed the bossman had made a change.

Hillbilly Werewolf likes this.
  12. Hillbilly Werewolf

Hillbilly Werewolf

Honestly the Sniper set up isn't much worse looking or less traditional than the 1970s era weber carbs that many like. It is tidy and at a glance, at home, in the very tidy engine bay.

What is far more interesting to me is the adapter it sits on. Looks like the intake is a 2x1 Fenton/Offy/edelbrock, but has a Y adapter that reduces it back to a 1x2. There are some visible welds on it, but is it an adapted casting or fully fabbed up? As well as adding some serious length and volume to the intake runners, it seems like a cool solution to straight six fuel distribution issues, without the hassle of dual carbs. Anyone know more about it?

redo32, Tman and anthony myrick like this.
  13. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

I was thinking of making that adapter and putting a little drop in it for clearance and sticking a 2bbl holley on my 261. Lippy

14. Wonder if they have a polished unit?
    (Insert bevis and butthead laughter)

Last edited: Jun 23, 2022
    lippy and guthriesmith like this.
  15. Just noticed the adapter thanks to yoose. That is a really cool idea that would open up a ton of carb ideas on various inline engines!

16. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

Gorgeous car!
    All my cars are, as you surely know, perfect!
    (But on this one I'd get rid of the fingernail protectors around the door handles and the rug of a headliner.)

17. Hillbilly Werewolf

Hillbilly Werewolf

18. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Respectfully, it's being discussed at such length because the build thread for this car on the HAMB would be moderated to oblivion, if not locked entirely. EFI, air bags, air conditioning..... forget it.

And for what it's worth, I TOTALLY agree with you. The EFI is minor in the grand scheme of the car. And really, so are the air bags, suspension mods, and even the air conditioning. None of it detracts from the overall aesthetic. It's a stellar example of what a new, traditionally-inspired custom car is and should be, and precisely what has been largely eradicated from the HAMB and cast off as a street rod. Ironically, that seems to be the case despite this exact type of build setting the benchmark for what many, if not most, traditional custom car builders are trying to achieve with new builds.

I had the pleasure of hanging out with Dallas at the CCR last year, who could not have been a cooler, more gracious dude, and he took the time to really show me around this car. As gorgeous as the pictures are, they don't really do this car justice. That says a lot.

WalkerMD, lippy, K13 and 5 others like this.
  19. I wonder how many custom build threads for a car like this are never posted here because of modernish components

20. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

A lot I'm sure... I like this place as it is though and have no interest in changing.

lippy, raaf, Stan Back and 1 other person like this.
  21. Okey-dokey
    This one (the modern components) just tossed a curve ball

22. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

For me a custom has never been what's under the hood, it's the overall look from the outside (and maybe interior). On the other hand, a hot rod has to have a proper mill.

23. I really like this piece
    E104B60F-3432-4272-8D30-D78F1E6FE872.jpeg 46370D9C-723B-4846-ADB8-210414B2F813.jpeg

Tman and Hillbilly Werewolf like this.
  24. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

These Floridian guys seem to break those rules pretty well.... holy %&/$ this is the cat´s meeeoww!

Tman likes this.
  25. anthony myrick likes this.
  26. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

I think that car is spectacular. And I don't say that about very many cars. When I saw that six, he had me. Lippy

41 GMC K-18 and Nostrebor like this.
  27. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@Dallas
    Let's face it, your car is complex in its simplicity, and simplistic in its complexity! And I mean that in the most positive way!

As a fan of inline engines, 6 bangers and straight 8's, it really made me smile to see the choice of engine and attention to detail!

All of the attention to detail, on every element of your car is spot on, I would not change anything on it!

On the element of detail, and rarity, I wanted to point out a certain detail that no one seemed to mention. The choice of the Oldsmobile steering wheel with the gimbal mounted self winding clock, dammed hard to find and even more amazing that it's functional, I am truly impressed at that particular choice and style it adds to the theme of the car!

Bravo sir, style knows no boundaries, when the time is taken to really think about what to add and what not to add!

28. Moonglow2

Moonglow2

I am 81 and everything you said hits home and is why I have loved customs since I was 15 and walked into the Fort Wayne Coliseum and stood in awe of the Rod & Custom Dream Truck. It is about art and having an eye for it.