Register now to get rid of these ads!

Floating Hubcaps

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kage, Feb 7, 2012.

1. BISHOP

BISHOP

What do you do about the valve stem?

2. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

b-b-b-but tradition! we only like things from a tiny sliver of history. tiny! you should'nt like any thing else. where are your blinders.what gives you the right. you can't like or do thing's to your car with out having them pre-approved from a list of agreed alteration. iknoe they had cars in the 50's and i know they had hubcaps, but all-tread? nuts, bearings? and to be assembled in such a fashon? i ask that you stop this visual illusion at once. no good or enjoyment can come from it.

3. wsdad

wsdad

That's so cool! In that last video with the red Caddy, I'd have to paint a spiral on the wide white walls.

4. Kage

Kage
    from Delano, TN

The mounting ring is removed...which I will be doing to my caps tonight. You must drill and tap the center of your spindle and drill a whole in your dust cap. once the All-thread is screwed into the spindle you cross drill it so you can still get your carter-pin thru...which also help to keep the all-thread from backing out.

The cap is actually mounted about an 1/8 to 1/4 inch away from the wheel. it is preferred to get the close fit valve stems.

5. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

[​IMG]

6. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

ahh, professor frink and his de-bigulator.

7. five-duece-chevy

five-duece-chevy
    from PA

Love it. Very tricky!

8. Hot Rod Chris

Hot Rod Chris

Im gona keep & eye on this one..

9. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

I seen a old merc. with a indian head painted on em . Looked KOOOOOL .
    Not for me .
    B.B.

10. Sonicjagstang

Sonicjagstang
    from IL.

They ARE INDEED traditional (or at least it goes way back and was being done). This is exactly the scenario I have mentioned in other posts. If every cool mag of the day didn't feature it, make a tech article out of it or it wasn't widely embraced the masses swear it never happened. It goes way back and is a custom thing. Way back when, hot rodders were more about speed and a little grace and customs were anywhere from cleaning up the looks to seeing how far you could go with something. Even in the 60's Chrysler had a floating sign with the Roadrunner on it. The wheel spun and the sign stayed stationary. Kids these days.......

11. bobj49f2

bobj49f2

At first I thought it was too ghettoish but after seeing the videos it kind of hit me, I still wouldn't do it but it was a weird effect.

I'd go with all stainless steel hardward if it was mine. I hate rust.

12. Biff Tanan

Biff Tanan

The first time I seen floating hub caps, was in the Hotrod Havoc movie. I don't remember which one. But I thought they were very cool! Thought about running them myself, but decided to go a different direction. Good luck

13. outlaw256

outlaw256

ok i just watched them vids about 10 times each.i got a 62 galaxie that is my daily.its nothing fancy in fact it needs alot of work, but i think im gonna make me a set .just for the wtf factor.it would be kinda fun messin with the public.

14. BOP-Nut

BOP-Nut

That's pretty neat. I'd use them once in a while, and have regular wheel covers for the rest of the time.

15. ricbee

ricbee

Even in the 60's Chrysler had a floating sign with the Roadrunner on it. The wheel spun and the sign stayed stationary. Kids these days.......[/QUOTE]

I've never seen the floating road runner 'caps in person,but A friend of mine once told me he found a semi-trailer,back in the '80's,parked behind a small closed-down factory,I think in Wyandotte,MI...FULL of those caps!

16. Sonicjagstang

Sonicjagstang
    from IL.

:eek: A trailer full! If that was indeed true someone could have made a fortune.

17. He likes em

18. matthew mcglothin

matthew mcglothin

Yes that's what I was thinking , it defitley would freak people out here in the south. Kinda looks like your brakes locked up on a icy road... But we don't have ice here. Very trippy.

19. K204DR

K204DR
    from Chatt TN

I guess it only works on the front wheels.

20. Sonicjagstang

Sonicjagstang
    from IL.

It may work on the back of your Cord.

21. badshifter

badshifter

22. Kage

Kage
    from Delano, TN

Last night I was not able to finish drilling and tapping the spindles due to not getting off work until almost 8. I did manage to remove the mounting rings from the caps. It is a fairly easy process on the caps I had.

1st you must drill out the 2 rivets on the mounting ring.

2nd. using a flat-head screw driver i pried apart the mounting ring and it simply popped out of the groove holding it in place.

3rd I simple pulled the ring around the edge of the cap and it came off clean.

It left me with a very clean looking back side to the cap.

Attached Files:

23. I was always intrigued by the mile meter in the back hub of a transit bus that would remain horizontal and stationary when the bus was moving.

24. Blackie

Blackie

There was a very traditional custom in my hometown (Casper, WY) that ran floating moon discs with scallops painted on them. I still remember the exact spot I was standing (was probably 12 yrs old) when I saw that car drive by for the first time. Isn't that what customs are made for?

eB

25. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Some years ago many of the taxis here in Houston had "floating" Astros baseball team advertisement discs on their wheels, front and rear. Very disturbing to have a Caprice come sailing by at 60 MPH and the wheels appear to not be turning!

26. 1950merc

1950merc
    from Butler, PA

If you had the right stance and wheelwell openings, or skirts you could make a mount off the backplate or axle tube that would come up over the tire and get the same effect.

I'm betting these were just a two-part hubcap with one part attached to the wheel and the other weighted and on a bearing.

27. ShortBus

ShortBus

I was hoping you were going to mount the crossbar and bullet and let the wheelcover spin behind it. Still gonna be badass.

28. 1950merc

1950merc
    from Butler, PA

That would keep you from having to do anything with the valve stems.

29. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

i'm making some wiper arms that move but don't wipe. ehh?

30. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED