Register now to get rid of these ads!

Floating console in a CUSTOM

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MetalFlaked60, Jul 1, 2005.

1. MetalFlaked60

MetalFlaked60

I am slowly getting started on the interior in my 60...I want to have a floating console in it like I have seen in a couple of other 60s customs....what are these made of and anyone have any PICS of this.....thanks alot.....JAMIE

2. Rikster

Rikster

From the Alexander Bross. "The Golden Indian"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. FONZI

FONZI

great pics Rikster! Thanks.

FONZI

4. MetalFlaked60

MetalFlaked60

Thanks ALOT....Thats the EXACT car I was thinking about when I posted this. I just didnt know how to find it....Any idea on how I should go about making this?....JAMIE

5. Antibilly

Antibilly

Im saving the pics and well see what we can do to help ya Jamie

6. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Use wood...yeah, that's right, wood!!! Use a nice stout pine, form it the way you want it to look and cover it with Landau foam (thin stuff), seat foam (thick stuff) and have it covered in your choice of material...for the uprights use some round rod and paint it, powder coat it or chrome it!

It shouldn't be rocket science to build a "floating console," no sense making it rocket science unless you want it painted and polished!!!

R-

7. Jamie came over to my office for me to look at these pictures. I have some pine boards 12" wide and 12 feet long that I was going to make shelves for the shop. These will work fine I think. Mike thanks for seein if you can help him with this.

8. I think there are a couple of way to go about making it,
    tube and sheet metal, make panels that will be uphostered.

Or you can can go the Roth route and sculpt in plaster and vermiculite, make a fiberglass console.

Make note the floating part doesn't work too good if you have a florro shifter unless your really sneaky

9. MetalFlaked60

MetalFlaked60

Guess I need to be sneaky then huh? :D

10. Plowboy

Plowboy

For those chrome uprights you could use some chrome plumbing pipe from Home Depot.

11. stealthcruiser

stealthcruiser

how about an old,short surfboard.
    sectioned down the middle.
    or carve you one up,(console),from some foam,and sink a metal spine in the
    back of it for support.

12. InDaShop

InDaShop
    from Houston

If that guys wife finds out where he mounted her Ironing board, god help 'em!

13. See attached, just one solution a bottom boot, or maybe a flat chomed piece throws the viewer off

Attached Files:

14. MetalFlaked60

MetalFlaked60

I have a hurst ratchet shifter in there ( I think)...how would that work...same way? just cut a long track for it to slide in?...Thanks for the drawing abe

15. Here anothe suggestion with a hurst ratched shifter, I'd do it so the console just hovers over the black part of the shifter and the chrome to shows through a hole.

Attached Files:

16. Joe T Creep

Joe T Creep
    Member Emeritus

Damn thats bitchin...

17. MetalFlaked60

MetalFlaked60

That looks awesome ...I Love it....Thanks alot for drawing it up....Jamie

18. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

I've got some plans for a hovercraft I'll sell them to you for $20.

19. MetalFlaked60

MetalFlaked60

.....ill give ya $10...:D

20. Donzie

Donzie

Hmmm, ironiing board, huh? :rolleyes:

21. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Go to a yard sale and find a used water ski.......you think I am joking?
    perfect template-many sizes.

22. I got a weird B&M shifter off of somebody here on the HAMB (sorry don't remember who) and it is a twist grip, you push a button in the end of the twist grip, like a MC throttle, and it has a cable that shifts an automatic. comes in a big ugly aluminum housing, with a window to tell you what gear you are in.

It's simple enough inside, I don't know why a MC throttle couldn't be used and put into the end of some wild, formed fiberglass console. You could hide the cable in anything. Just have to figure out how to make put the safety button and detents... if you go for that safety thing.

23. To hide the Hurst shifter under the floating console, make a base in the shape of an airfoil (cross section of a wing, or tear-drop shaped) and house the base in that. Do something similar, but maybe a bit smaller for the aft end of the console to match. Paint, chrome, carpet or upholster the air foil bases as desired.

24. Squablow

Squablow

I was JUST going to suggest that, when you beat me to it. I think these 60's vintage GTO water skis with the racing stripes on them would be perfect, you could even use the exposed wood. Just space them out about 2" apart and upholster around the edges. Curves up nice in the front, has a nice taper to it, and even has a nifty aluminum fin on the back that could get worked into the design.

Attached Files:

25. MetalFlaked60

MetalFlaked60

Yea that sounds like a good idea i didnt realize what he meant when he said water ski till you posted that pic squablow :D.....Jamie