Register now to get rid of these ads!

flipping spring perch on model T??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bgaro, Feb 2, 2013.

1. bgaro

bgaro

I've notice some model T speedsters with the spring perches flipped to lower the front. what happens then? is there some kind of double shackle set up to push the axle in front of spring? i can't find much on lowering an original T front axle.

2. Carter

Carter

Here is a drawing from MrModelT s build/picture search thread of how he did his.[​IMG]

3. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Pretty cool idea...

4. Carter

Carter

Fairly certain it is a copy of the old Laurel/Roof Underslung brackets.

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

5. MrModelT

MrModelT

My front end brackets were based on a set of old Laural underslung units.

[​IMG]

Unfortunately, for a later style wishbones they caused a bit of interference with the shackles. When I started my rebuild, I came up with a different setup using Model A wishbones...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We also came up with this simple method all stock components and lengthened shackles...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. bgaro

bgaro

thats the stuff. this gives me some options.thanks Mr.T now all i have to do is muster up the courage to build/run a car with no front brakes. i found an old hay wagon someone built on a T chassis, so i can come up with a frame and front axle for a '25 tub i have.

7. MrModelT

MrModelT

No worries, glad to help out a fellow T builder! :D. I also have another document that covers all of the old lowering methods that I will post for you, just have to dig it up.

The second method (with the green axle) is one that a friend and I devised for a speedster we built together.....sits SUPER LOW and looks great. My '26 roadster sits a little higher but rides and handles better IMHO. A link to my roadster build thread is in my signiture and you can find the build thread on the speedster by searching my HAMB handle. Thread is called "Mr.ModelT and Powerwagonmaniac build a T speedster in 6 months".

Lots of pics in both threads.

8. bgaro

bgaro

i think a combination of the A wishbone, and a flipped cross member is the direction i'm heading in. banjo rear with hydraulic brakes. not sure on the transmission yet, but doing a banger for sure. let the parts collection begin.